Gear Purchase from European Website

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thank you for that item A was the info i read the triggered my questions. something about 200 and 300 bar thread differences because of an EU STANDARD. osmething about not being able to do what is done inthe US I wasnot sure itf it was the tank neck thread or the reg thread or both beinf different to prevent matching 300 bar parts on a 200 bar tanks. Other than measuring the thread is there perhaps a stamp on the reg or part to show it is an EU standard part?

I don't completely understand your question. If you have the 1st stage or a good image of its DIN fitting you can simply count the threads on the fitting. I have not seen a stamp/mark for the type of DIN fitting but I have seen stamps/marks such as EN250, EN250A...these marks mean the 1st stage is certified to meet certain performance standards in the EU. Here is a website that explains what the markings mean:
What is EN250?

If you are not buying a reg specifically with the wider M26 threads designed for use with high concentrations of O2 then you really have little to worry about.

If the product info for the regulator(s) you are interested in state the 1st stage is rated upto 300 bar, the DIN fitting will have 7 threads. Here is an example cut and pasted from Aqualung's product info webpage for their COR Supreme 1st stage:
Yoke or DIN Available in yoke (3,300psi/232 bar max.) or DIN (4,350psi/300 bar max.)

Here is product info taken from a product web page regarding an Apeks Mtx-R 1st stage that indicates it can be purchased as a specific version for use with high O2 mixes that has the M26 thread diameter on the fitting:
DIN, Yoke and M26 Thread available, 300bar, 232bar and M26 300bar (O2) respectively

With the exception of tanks valves designed for M26 threaded DIN 1st stages, a 300 bar DIN 1st stage will fit on either a 300 bar DIN tank valve or a DIN tanks valve designed for a lower pressure rating. A 232 bar DIN 1st stage, while uncommon (even more so in the US), can only be properly paired with a 232 bar DIN valve.

I am not 100% sure about tanks made in North America, but I believe that HP tanks have narrower neck openings and require a valve that is threaded 7/8 UNF, whereas most currently manufactured LP tanks use 3/4 NPS threading. To my knowledge, Europe (with perhaps the UK as the exception?) has standardized on the M25x2 neck threading for both LP (232bar) and HP (300bar) tanks.

If you share what reg set you are interested in it perhaps the collective mind here could advise on the type of DIN fitting.

-Z

M26 is only used on rebreathers on oxygen side. You can see m26 nitrox regulators on sale on web shops, but haven't seen one live yet! So no one uses m26 regs on oc side.

Also all regulator I have ever seen are 300 dins, no 232 dins in Finland and haven't seen in europe either.

Never have encountered an m26. Afaik, they're a paper tiger. But any 300 bar DIN reg fits any DIN valve. No matter if the tank valve is 200, 232 or 300 bar.

I can't remember if it was SB or another Scuba discussion website but I recall reading a post where someone thought they got a great deal on a 1st stage only to find it did not fit their tank valve and was not initially sure why...from what I recall, after asnwering questions with either an expanded description or with a link to what they purchased it was determined they had bought the rare/less common O2 version of the reg with the M26 threaded DIN fitting.

Here in the southern half of Belgium I see things that I don't often see elsewhere.....for instance:
- there is a prevalence of 15L and 18L tanks.
- H and Y valves are still fairly common.
- People will fill nitrox tanks from air fill stations at dive sites using an in-line filter screwed between the fill whip and the tank valve.
- Completely self-serve coin operated air fill stations at dive sites (actually this is not Belgian thing as I have seen this in Netherlands as well).

There is a small shop down the road from my house that has at least one 1st stage on display with the M26 fitting. I would equate that to "seeing it in a zoo" as I have yet to see one at being used "in the wild".

-Z

the SP mk25 reg does not say what it is but it looks like an evo of sorts. that black cap has no evo stamp on it. it threads on my din tanks ok. That article I read was talking about that, although some of the EU regs will mount in american valves the thread pitch may be different where prerhaps a 5 thread will mount .and that different threads may be used. something from the artivcle rings a bell about the difference between perhaps air and nitrox valves. I wish I could find the article. Other than that I see nothing physical on the valve to suggest it is different that any one bought in the states. My concern other than the article was rooted in "purchaced in the EU". no markings did not preclude the din fitting was not changed to EU standards. the serial for the reg is 11230 00599
I just looked again and saw one physical difference. My other mk25s have oblong holes for sea pressure ports. the one i got form EU has round holes. maybe the same on an evo I dont know. I can post pics I think if needed.

the SP mk25 reg does not say what it is but it looks like an evo of sorts. that black cap has no evo stamp on it. it threads on my din tanks ok. That article I read was talking about that, although some of the EU regs will mount in american valves the thread pitch may be different where prerhaps a 5 thread will mount .and that different threads may be used. something from the artivcle rings a bell about the difference between perhaps air and nitrox valves. I wish I could find the article. Other than that I see nothing physical on the valve to suggest it is different that any one bought in the states. My concern other than the article was rooted in "purchaced in the EU". no markings did not preclude the din fitting was not changed to EU standards. the serial for the reg is 11230 00599
I just looked again and saw one physical difference. My other mk25s have oblong holes for sea pressure ports. the one i got form EU has round holes. maybe the same on an evo I dont know. I can post pics I think if needed.

It would be interesting if you could find the article you are referencing as I have never heard the concern you raise with the threading of DIN regulators in valves. However, I have heard/read about issues with screwing an M25x2 valve into the neck of a 3/4" BSP threaded tank....the M25x2 valve will engage the first few threads and then become tight; tightening further will cross-thread the valve in the tank neck damaging the threads and inadequately securing the valve in the tank neck...this has apparently resulted in valves forcefully and dangerously blowing off the tank when it is being filled or sometime not long after.

Here is webpage that discusses both topics in the same article, the tank neck threading and the 5 - 7 thread difference between 232bar and 300 bar valves. Perhaps you this is what you read and are just misremembering the details?

The Trouble with Tanks pt 4 - cylinder threads and valves - Atlantic Scuba

Regarding your comment on the physical difference you saw between the MK25s you have...I have little experience with Scubapro brand regulators but I did find the following thread on SB that mentions the body of the MK25 was changed with the introduction of the MK25 evo:

Scubapro MK25 'EVO' vs MK25

-Z

Thanks guys, your comments gave me enough buzz words to find what ai needed on the web. As far as I can seee the reg i question is a standard US reg. the thread change would have been larger 26 thread on nitrox which would not fit on my 25 tank valves and this reg does.. as the water hole size goes it looks like the evo. all my other mk 25's are form the 2000-2010 era and instead of looking like a cheap chrome jobon the turret barrel it looks like dull un polished metal.. When I first saw these polishes regs my first thought was,,, it was a cheap knock off of the original.

Where can i go to cross reference the serial numbers to get the reg specifics such as a 2008yr mk 10 or a mk25evo etc.

Thanks again

I have frequently dealt with European dealers over the years; and I have yet to be charged VAT. Often, on their sites, once your US address is entered, the price is automatically recalculated -- reduced, say, from that twenty or so percent Blutschuld.

Shipping, with DHL, on the other hand, becomes an often pricey consideration (and that parcel temporarily disappears into a DHL pocket universe, where physics are horribly awry and no one knows or can really be sure of its immediate location or even potential existence -- regardless of any illusory "shipment has arrived in the destination country / destination area" update -- until it actually manifests itself at your front door); but you won't be paying US import fees or filling out any extensive paperwork, below a US 2500.00 value threshold -- so said a former custom agent, whom I knew, at SFO, and who frequently regaled me with tales of what people attempted to smuggle -- and even, more alarmingly, where . . .

I stand corrected - I was wrong. SP will perform maintenance under warranty for items purchased abroad! Just got a message from SP service department.
I’m a bit confused. Does the warranty you talked about include parts for life?

I have frequently dealt with European dealers over the years; and I have yet to be charged VAT. Often, on their sites, once your US address is entered, the price is automatically recalculated -- reduced, say, from that twenty or so percent Blutschuld.

Shipping, with DHL, on the other hand, becomes an often pricey consideration (and that parcel temporarily disappears into a DHL pocket universe, where physics are horribly awry and no one knows or can really be sure of its immediate location or even potential existence -- regardless of any illusory "shipment has arrived in the destination country / destination area" update -- until it actually manifests itself at your front door); but you won't be paying US import fees or filling out any extensive paperwork, below a US 2500.00 value threshold -- so said a former custom agent, whom I knew, at SFO, and who frequently regaled me with tales of what people attempted to smuggle -- and even, more alarmingly, where . . .

I can echo the importation experience with respect to VAT being removed once the shipping address is seemed to be outside the EU and I can also echo the lack of duties and paperwork into the US if the importation isn't too expensive and is clearly identified as water sports equipment.

I did have an order that was a higher amount and I did need to fill out paperwork, but FedEx handled everything and it was fairly quick, quite painless and much cheaper than what it would have cost domestically.

I’m a bit confused. Does the warranty you talked about include parts for life?

PFL is a US based program only. If you purchase your regs and BCD in the US but your computer in Europe, you will not qualify for PFL.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom