Gear Purchase from European Website

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That may be an issue, that's right. I'm not deep into the matter but a quick search reveals several possibilities just for the hose >>> look here <<<
I would be very careful as the difference may not be in the visible range and the device may seams to fit.

thanks a lot Ill look it over and try the hoses i have.

Being a diver from the Netherlands maybe I can clear up some things.

VAT
If a shop in the Netherlands that caters to consumers and not to companies the VAT must be included in the price that is listed.

Different threads
There has been a directive in the EU in 2002 about using different threads for richer mixes (more than 21% oxigen). This led to the M26 threads instead of G5/8 which is used for the DIN connection. G5/8 is not banned for use for richer mixes and regulators that can handle up to 40% will be equipped with DIN. The M26 regs can handle richer mixes out of the box and can be recognised by the green caps and they will have M26 specified in the add.

DIN or Yoke/int/A-clamp
Both are readily available in the Netherlands and both are used very frequently. I moved into a style of diving that uses DIN exclusively but I still see a lot of Yoke clamps at the dive sites in the Netherlands and they are still being sold in the shops and webshops.

For those that may know. I bought a mk25 from some place in europe. atfter I received it , there was an article about EU standards. I remember something about differences in threads on scuba regulators from europe. should I be concerned about this reg or any other item form the EU having aspects to it or any product that may not compatable to the imperial versions?

Here is my stab at answering your question(s):

1. For DIN fittings on regulators, specifically the threaded portion that screws into the tank valve, whether purchased in a country that uses imperial thread standards or metric thread standards, the threads will be the same. The major things one should be aware of with DIN fittings are as follows:

A. Some companies (Mares being one of them) produce regulators that are marketed for high O2 percentage use (high O2% is over 40% O2 in the mix), the DIN fitting on these regulators is slighter larger in diameter and not compatible with the common DIN valves used in the industry. Supposedly there are laws in the EU or some EU countries that mandate the use of the valves with the wider diameter DIN fittings when using high concentrations of O2 in the breathing mix, but these regulators and valves have not gained wide popularity and remain uncommon, based on my observation where I dive in Europe.

B. DIN fittings come as either 5 thread or 7 threads....5 thread fittings are for 232bar or less applications, and 7 threads fittings are for higher pressure applications. A regulator with a 5 thread DIN fitting screwed into a 7 thread DIN valve will not bottom out and seal against the back of the valve...opening the valve will cause gas to escape and be unusable for breathing purposes. This is to prevent the possibility of personal injury and/or damage to the 1st stage rated for lower pressures. There are few regulators on the market that come in DIN that are only rated to 232bar, the Aqualung Calypso being one of them.

Also, the threaded plug that can be used to convert DIN valves for use with yoke regulators will have 5 threads and when screwed into a 300bar rated valve far enough to make a seal with the back of the valve there will be gap between the clamping surface of the yoke regulator and the plug which will let air escape....also if the plug is screwed in so that it does interface with the yoke regulator, the plug will not seal against the back of the valve. Both situations are to prevent using a regulator not designed for the higher pressure to prevent damage to the 1st stage and possible injury to the user.

3. The major difference in threading in the world of Scuba is not on regulators but on tank neck and the valve threads that are screwed into a tank neck. There is a myriad of standards used in the industry many of which seem to be based on country or region of manufacture....for instance in Europe, the common valve/tank threading for a LP tank is M25x2, in the US the common threading on similar pressure rated valve is 3/4-inch NPS....the two threading standards are not compatible with each other.

So the bottom line is that unless ScubaPro made a DIN version of the MK25 1st stage designed specifically for high O2 % use with the slightly wider threaded DIN fitting AND you mistakenly purchased it because it seemed like a deal too good to pass up (these regs sit for a long time and are often discounted in price), then you should be fine in the US with a DIN reg purchased from a European vendor.

-Z

That may be an issue, that's right. I'm not deep into the matter but a quick search reveals several possibilities just for the hose >>> look here <<<
I would be very carefull as the difference may not be in the visible range and the device may seams to fit.

Current regulators being sold retail in the EU use the same hose threading standards as in the US. The 3 common thread sizes one might come across are as follows:

1. 7/16-inch UNF - this is the common threading for high pressure scuba hoses.
2. 3/8-inch UNF - this is the common threading for low pressure scuba hoses
3. 1/2-inch UNF - this is a threading standard for low pressure scuba hoses that has become increasingly obsolete. It was common on 1st stages from certain manufacturers such as Dacor and Mares to name a couple.

Adapters to convert a 1/2-inch UNF LP port on a 1st stage to accept a 3/8-inch UNF threaded hose are readily available at most dive shops and/or online hardware sources (granger?), and make it so one is not limited to needing a 1/2-inch UNF threaded hose if/when they need a replacement LP hose for their setup.

-Z

Here is a link to ScubaPro's warranty: https://www.scubapro.com/scubapro-warranty

I can't find any info in their warranty that would indicate what you are expressing.

What the ScubaPro warranty does say is:
"To obtain warranty service, you must deliver the affected component or part, together with your proof of purchase to any authorized SCUBAPRO dealer."

and

"No salesperson, dealer or representative is authorized to make any modifications to this warranty or to make additional warranties on behalf of SCUBAPRO."

If what you state is true then that is a great reason to NOT buy ScubaPro products.

When I had an issue with my Aqualung Drysuit I contacted AL and they gave me the option of working through a shop or sending it directly to them. I wound up working through the shop I bought it from but according to my discussion with AL I could have taken it to any AL shop.

But I do understand your point...a bunch of years ago my wife and I were in the market for a new car. We had just moved to Belgium and were originally planned to be here for 3 years. We are Subaru fans and faced the issue of there being very few Subaru dealers in the region of Belgium we live in coupled with the fact that buying a European spec car would present issues with importation into the US due to different safety standards. When we looked into buying and shipping a Subaru over from the US we found that Subaru of America does not have a reciprocal agreement with Subaru Europe for warranty issues/service. We wound up not buying a Subaru.

-Z

SP are protective of their local dealer networks. Example: If you buy a reg set, computer and BCD, you qualify for parts for life. If one of those items was purchased outside of the US, the free parts deal is void. I’ll check with them later today to see what they say about part replacement for example.

SP are protective of their local dealer networks. Example: If you buy a reg set, computer and BCD, you qualify for parts for life. If one of those items was purchased outside of the US, the free parts deal is void. I’ll check with them later today to see what they say about part replacement for example.

From my understanding "Parts For Life" is an incentive program not a warranty.

-Z

From my understanding "Parts For Life" is an incentive program not a warranty.

-Z

I stand corrected - I was wrong. SP will perform maintenance under warranty for items purchased abroad! Just got a message from SP service department.

Here is my stab at answering your question(s):

1. For DIN fittings on regulators, specifically the threaded portion that screws into the tank valve, whether purchased in a country that uses imperial thread standards or metric thread standards, the threads will be the same. The major things one should be aware of with DIN fittings are as follows:

A. Some companies (Mares being one of them) produce regulators that are marketed for high O2 percentage use (high O2% is over 40% O2 in the mix), the DIN fitting on these regulators is slighter larger in diameter and not compatible with the common DIN valves used in the industry. Supposedly there are laws in the EU or some EU countries that mandate the use of the valves with the wider diameter DIN fittings when using high concentrations of O2 in the breathing mix, but these regulators and valves have not gained wide popularity and remain uncommon, based on my observation where I dive in Europe.

B. DIN fittings come as either 5 thread or 7 threads....5 thread fittings are for 232bar or less applications, and 7 threads fittings are for higher pressure applications. A regulator with a 5 thread DIN fitting screwed into a 7 thread DIN valve will not bottom out and seal against the back of the valve...opening the valve will cause gas to escape and be unusable for breathing purposes. This is to prevent the possibility of personal injury and/or damage to the 1st stage rated for lower pressures. There are few regulators on the market that come in DIN that are only rated to 232bar, the Aqualung Calypso being one of them.

Also, the threaded plug that can be used to convert DIN valves for use with yoke regulators will have 5 threads and when screwed into a 300bar rated valve far enough to make a seal with the back of the valve there will be gap between the clamping surface of the yoke regulator and the plug which will let air escape....also if the plug is screwed in so that it does interface with the yoke regulator, the plug will not seal against the back of the valve. Both situations are to prevent using a regulator not designed for the higher pressure to prevent damage to the 1st stage and possible injury to the user.

3. The major difference in threading in the world of Scuba is not on regulators but on tank neck and the valve threads that are screwed into a tank neck. There is a myriad of standards used in the industry many of which seem to be based on country or region of manufacture....for instance in Europe, the common valve/tank threading for a LP tank is M25x2, in the US the common threading on similar pressure rated valve is 3/4-inch NPS....the two threading standards are not compatible with each other.

So the bottom line is that unless ScubaPro made a DIN version of the MK25 1st stage designed specifically for high O2 % use with the slightly wider threaded DIN fitting AND you mistakenly purchased it because it seemed like a deal too good to pass up (these regs sit for a long time and are often discounted in price), then you should be fine in the US with a DIN reg purchased from a European vendor.

-Z
thank you for that item A was the info i read the triggered my questions. something about 200 and 300 bar thread differences because of an EU STANDARD. osmething about not being able to do what is done inthe US I wasnot sure itf it was the tank neck thread or the reg thread or both beinf different to prevent matching 300 bar parts on a 200 bar tanks. Other than measuring the thread is there perhaps a stamp on the reg or part to show it is an EU standard part?

eu has the annoying m26 for nitrox/o2 clean regs. other than that, they are 300 bar din these days.

eu has the annoying m26 for nitrox/o2 clean regs. other than that, they are 300 bar din these days.
Never have encountered an m26. Afaik, they're a paper tiger. But any 300 bar DIN reg fits any DIN valve. No matter if the tank valve is 200, 232 or 300 bar.

Reactions: Zef
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom