Gear maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It's been a weird couple of months for me - no diving, followed by a TON of diving, then no diving for a while again, then last-minute, toss-gear-in-car-and-hope-nothing-was-forgotten diving. That kind of schedule wreaks havoc on regular maintenance. I like gear maintenance generally; I don't work on my car or anything so this is as close to real elbow-grease as I get.

So last night I had a couple of hours, and spent them creating a new tail weight, retying a few boltsnaps, replacing a hose, replacing a leaky dryglove (note to self: just get some aquaseal and keep it around), giving the drysuit seals a good soapy wash, pounding the crap out of my light's E/O connectors, re-arranging/re-stocking my save-a-dive toolbox, and catching up on some dive logging that I've neglected for a bit.

Does anyone else just take time once every few weeks/months/years to sit down to keep the house in order, so to speak? If so, how often?

Oh yes, I spend a lot of time maintaining my stuff. Regulators are supposed to be serviced once a year, but I have to do my own at least twice that often. I don't have redundant systems the way you do with your doubles, so I have to trust my one reg completely. I am often dumbfounded at the state of the regs I see come in for service, just thinking that somebody has been trusting his life to a reg with old worn O-rings that are dried out and cracking.

Matter of fact, I think I'll go out now and try to figure out why that dry suit inflator button has been so hard to push lately!

Bruce

Kenn, I just try to keep up with it as things go along.

Last weekend for example I had an o-ring that wasnt looking quite right, took it back to the shop and Bruce and I swapped it out.

Bruce, it was good to see you back in action on Tuesday!

Brandon, I typically do the same, but it seems like once in a while, minor details that I end up neglecting start to add up. In this instance, I left town for over a week immediately after getting back from diving, and as such left all my gear unrinsed until I got home. That, by the way, wreaked some real havoc on a few stainless bolt snaps. Maybe next time I'll just dump everything in the tub and let it soak until I get back...

Gross! I left my gear in the tub for a week once! It was all smelly and slimy when I finally got to it. This time I rinsed it all but left it dripping in a dark storage room. I do not know what to expect when I get home next weekend...

If I know its going to be some time before I can rinse (but I never let it sit more than 24 hours) ill throw everything in the tub with water. Id hate to imagine how it may smell after a week...

I believe dark wet places can grow undesirable fungus... I am hoping there is enough fresh air to dry the gear without mold, mildew and or a fungi funk. I will be home July 17th.

Aspirgillus Ticor? Sorry, way-geeked out reference there.

As cold and damp as your closet is, I wonder how/if it compares to the inside of a typical BC bladder. These things never get completely dry.

Back
Top Bottom