Gear longevity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gloves, booties and wetsuits. In that order
I agree, but if you are not using gloves that often, then booties will be the first to go. If you want them to last longer, wear lycra socks. The booties then slip on and off easily. I have pulled aged booties apart trying to get them on or off my odd feet.

As Sidney Sheldon used to say, nothing lasts forever.

My BCD is 20 yearold and still looks solid, but I replaced the inflator twice already.
Fins? Go for solid black rubber. Plastic, especially the porous one that makes the fins float, breaks with ease.
Masks? The strap buckles are the weak spot. When the plastic ages, the lock of the strap weakens.
Regs? These are tricky. You'll find 1,001 opinion here, but my current strategy is to buy an intermediate quality set by a reliable but not overpriced maker like Cressi or X-Scuba for about $250-300 every 5 years.
Wetsuits? Here a lot depends on your luck and how you dive. My wife's Henderson fell apart after a dozen dives, and the company replaced it w/o charge. Our Aqualungs lasted for about 10 years, but shore diving destroyed them eventually. Maybe, if we were only diving boats and liverboards they will still be good, I don't know.

How about wrist and neck seals on dry suits ? I replaced mine 7 years ago and only used the suit once. It has been stored inside and all coated with talc. They are very soft and stretchy still but what is your experience on logevity ?
Thanks
User replaceable are the way to go, but that's not the case here. Latex, silicone, or neoprene? I'd get them replaced and then dive it far more often.
Oh, same question about zippers (they are well waxed and operate easily.
Seal up the suit and puff it full of air with a shop compressor or shopvac exhaust. Spray it down and look for bubbles everywhere including the zipper.

with propeer cleaning and maintenance, gear can last indefinitely. I have jet fins purchased in 1997 and regulators purchased in 1985. Most of my bc's lasted 10 to 15 years, with a good fresh water rinse after every outing. My current drysuit is going on 13 years.

I agree, but if you are not using gloves that often, then booties will be the first to go. If you want them to last longer, wear lycra socks. The booties then slip on and off easily. I have pulled aged booties apart trying to get them on or off my odd feet.
Indeed socks make booties easier to use and last longer. I found that rock boots last substantially longer than booties and I am now using them also for wet suit diving.

Back
Top Bottom