Gear Life Expectancy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good to know!

I didn't know there was a difference between DIR and hogarthian. Pretty much looking at a backplate wing with a long hose primary/bungee octo.

Me thinks you are hearing the term "Do It right" used by Matt in St. Catharines, eh?

Heck, I was going to say, I have no idea. Every time I turn around something new comes out or I am getting into some other form of diving...
I went from wetsuit to drysuit
From a watch to nitrox computer to trimix computer
From BCD, to BPW to SM
From split fins to tech
well, you get the point

p.s. I haven't gone to a rebreather, so my regs have lasted 10 years and going strong ;-)
My drysuit is 8 years old and yesterday I guy said it looked a few months old at most (and I crawl around in spring pools in it)

Me thinks you are hearing the term "Do It right" used by Matt in St. Catharines, eh?

Haha yes actually. Well, I heard of it first from a guy at work who referred me to that shop. After a bunch of my own reading I like the idea of a backplate and wing because of how minimal/simple it is. And the bungeed octo and long hose just makes sense. I have no idea why I was taught differently when getting certified.

Thoughts on the St Catherines shop? Matt seems pretty genuine.

Dave

After a bunch of my own reading I like the idea of a backplate and wing because of how minimal/simple it is. And the bungeed octo and long hose just makes sense. I have no idea why I was taught differently when getting certified.

The back plate and wing, as well as the long hose and bungeed alternate, were developed in a different environment from mainstream diving, and that equipment is only recently (and slowly) gaining a foothold in the traditional diving world. When some of us started working with it in the shop in which we worked, almost none of the rest of the staff had ever seen it. I am now in a different shop, and until I showed up with it, I don't think more than one or two people in that shop had ever seen it.

I'm pretty rough on my gear and usually dive a lot (200-400 dives/year). My BCDs generally last about 10-12 years. My regs are even older than my last car (25 years old) and they breathe well. Fins are about 10 and 15 years old. Tanks as old as the 1970s. Although they look quite old and torn, my "holey" wetsuits generally have a lifespan of one to occasionally two years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom