Gear Life Expectancy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regulators -Conshelf XIV, USD double hose, SP 109/MkV- may last decades, the newer plastic stuff, at least a few years

Plates a millennia

BCs a few years or so or until they get holed

Wetsuits a season or two, maybe a few seasons

Scubapro Jet Fins, 30 or 40 years

N

Can only agree on what has been said so far about lifetime.

What I would add is that:

(1) neoprene looses its thermal qualities when it ages. So - if you are diving regularly in cold water - you might consider it to be changed ( after 10 years) even if still looks fine. The same goes for gloves (I change them every three years, as they are not that expensive, for thermal comfort, only).

(2) the shortest lifetime (as I have realized over time) in equipment is with canister lamp batteries (4-5 years). Batteries, not the lamp itself! So just check to get a lamp where they can be replaced, once you go for a canister lamp.

(3) finally, as already mentioned, the biggest factor which impacts gear life usage, not expectancy, is you wanting to change something, because either your training allows you to enter new types of dives, either because the industry produces new toys you *want* to have.

Most of it will last decades. Wetsuits much shorter. Of course depends on your use and maintenance. Electronics seem to be vulnerable to flooding and advances in technology tend to render stuff like lights, cameras, and computers obsolete (but still useable) in 5-7 years.

Getting my own gear soon. Definitely want to go DIR style, either diverite or HOG.

How long should I expect everything to last? With regular maintenance, probably no more than 50 dives a year.

Thanks!

Fair enough. Only reason for those brands is that I'm a broke student and the prices seem good. Definitely open to other suggestions though!

There are lots of good gear brand choices. Son't limit yourself too much too soon.

Fair enough. Only reason for those brands is that I'm a broke student and the prices seem good. Definitely open to other suggestions though!

Combine the broke student part with all the people telling you how long gear lasts and think about starting off with used gear.

Combine the broke student part with all the people telling you how long gear lasts and think about starting off with used gear.

...except for the wetsuit. :wink:

Same regs since 1989. Retired BC to go bp/w but its still functional.

Sent from my Galactic Communicator using TapaTalk

I sold a dozen steel 72s about ten years ago. They are probably still being used. Original hydro dates on them were from early to mid 60s.
I've had my backplate and wings for doubles setup for fifteen years and haven't replaced anything. The only time I've replaced my Jetfins is when I lost them to the sea.
I bought a new regulator in 2005, but I used a US Divers Conshelf from the 1960s until 2001. It still breathed fine, just a little heavy on my jaw during long dives.

I've been looking quite a bit on local Craigslist and kijiji but haven't had much luck finding anything that would fit a DIR setup which I am pretty set on.

Thanks so much for all the responses so far!

Dave

I've been looking quite a bit on local Craigslist and kijiji but haven't had much luck finding anything that would fit a DIR setup which I am pretty set on.

Thanks so much for all the responses so far!

Dave

I understand. The same thing wold be true in my area. It doesn't have to be local, however. The world has a lot of shipping options. Check the ScubaBoard classifieds. I guarantee you you can find a HOG back plate and an Apex single wing on sale for very good prices there. :D Check eBay. There is a forum called The Deco Stop that I stopped reading a long time ago and in my memory serves as a selling place for lots of used gear. Almost everyone who uses that site uses the kind of gear you are looking for.

By the way, I am not sure you are necessarily looking for something that would be called "DIR." The more generic term for that kind of diving is "Hogarthian." The people who stay within the DIR philosophy have a strict version of Hogarthian diving, but it is still Hogarthian. It was named after Bill Hogarth Main, who receives a lot of credit for its development. Bill was allied with the group that became known as DIR, but although he certainly dives Hogarthian style today, he varies from what is considered DIR in a number of ways.

Back
Top Bottom