Gear bags are completely unnecessary...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having used both Pelican cube cases (resort diving) and soft bags (live aboard) I can fit what I need into either. We switched to bags for the last trip with the space considerations, and the airline beat the holy **** out of the bags.

Never having to worry about that with a Pelican, the weight is of course a challenge. For the next trip (resort) Ill be back to the Pelican cases and reserve the bags for future live aboard trips. I may combine the too and stuff gear into one soft bag and use one Pelican for the real expensive stuff.

My one bag recommendation in my North Face Duffel. I've own my current one for 10 years. Its' carried everything from Just clothes to test equipment in hard cases on business - and occasionally dive trips. It generally makes 1 return air flight per month. So far no damage, some cosmetic scrapes but that's it. It's outlasted numerous wheels overnight bags and laptop bags which go in the overhead lockers as opposed to the hold.

Bought this at the local dump store. lightweight, cheap, does not wear out and nobody can see there's expensive dive gear in it.

Attachments

• baal.jpeg
    baal.jpeg
    29.7 KB · Views: 281
So , My wife and I must look like real damn NOOBS when we travel !
I like the Wheeled Akona bags we have . I'll also pack our cloths in there as well . Oh well .....

I like the Wheeled Akona bags we have . I'll also pack our cloths in there as well . Oh well .....
If it works it works! Lot's of people buy and use them.

In the days before overweight baggage fee surcharges, before TSA, before luggage was routinely lost or delayed by airlines, or rifled through by unscrupulous airport employees--basically, back when air travel was reasonably civil and comfortable--every traveling diver used that kind of dive bag, put all their gear and clothing in it, and end of story. I see fewer and fewer of those bags.

It is sort of funny that we worry about what kind of luggage we have... considering most of the flights I go on are remote domestic flights in various parts of South East Asia. Quite often we are the only ones who have actual luggage. everyone else has boxes, coolers, taped up bags etc. I don't think it matters at all what sort of suitcase I have... I guarantee that my bags stand out as foreign and probably filled with dive gear. o_O

i use my aqualung bag for my gear and clothes as well only thing is i carry my regs and computer in my carry on that your priciest pieces

With accumulation of gears, tighter and tighter airline weight restrictions, and all my diving involves travel, I found myself obsessed with travel gear that fits all kinds of conditions (resort vs liveaboard) and can squeeze everyone piece of gear I (thought) I need ( SS B/W, 2 first stage, 2 second stage, 5mm suit, fins, 2 masks, odds & ends parts and tools, 2 SMBs, 2-3 lights... etc. plus clothes) and not pay extra airline baggage fee.
I now use a Timberland with wheels (only bag under 3 kg with wheels I can find; I need wheels as often I lug it over a long walking distance - airport, ferries, bus etc). It is a 2 wheeler, not as nice as the 4 wheeler on regular luggage, but the 4 wheelers are around 7 kg. A bit on the long side (35"x17") but it fits any of my fins (I don't free dive). Had it for the weight constrain I could easily pack more stuff in the bag. Inside I add either a mesh bag (for carry gear on to the boat) or Oceanic backpack (got sturdy straps if I have to carry all my gears and walk over 15 min to dive sites 2-3 times a day). I keep my photo gears and dive computers in my carry on. I am always borderline 23 kg/50 lb at the end and w/o decent change of cloth. If anyone has any better solution I am always looking for one!

...at least that is the opinion I have so far formed. What really is the purpose to a SCUBA specific piece of luggage?

So far, my travels for SCUBA in the past 2 years I've been certified have seen me go to Jamaica, Florida, and Hawaii via airline travel with my gear. An old suitcase or large-ish sized duffle seems to be fine even when hauling my Scubapro Jet Fins and Zeagle Ranger BC.

Going to MX next month and was thinking about getting a gear bag, but I don't see the point to them really. Maybe I'll just buy a new laundry bag to replace the one I've got for dragging stuff to and from the boat.

Anyone feel like telling me I'm wrong?

I've had two purpose made gear bags in the course of the last 15 years or so. Both of them fell apart after the first dive trip I made. They're made to be light weight but that also makes them flimsy. I now travel with a sturdy duffel that i bought from a mountain equipment shop. It is so much better than a purpose made gear bag....

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom