Gear Bag Recomendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver.Jason

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking for Dive Bag recommendations. I am diving with a Mares XR Trim and the rest of the gear. I will be visiting Roatan and Cozumel in August on a Royal Caribbean cruise. I am looking for a bag that I can either wear on my back or carry like a duffel. After my dives, I am going to regroup with my party to enjoy whatever time I have left at the particular location. I saw Mares has an XR Expedition bag, but it does not seem to be available at all in the US. I can't seem to get any real information on the bag itself.

Mares XR Expedition Bag

So I think I am looking for something similar to this bag. I also plan on going to either the Bahamas or Aruba later this year to do some diving as well. Welcome recommendations.

Thanks!

Go to a place that sells used hockey equipment and but a used, beat up hockey or heavy duty duffle. The uglier the better. My GF used to do a liveaboard every year and found a new heavy duty duffle. First thing she did was take old paint and slapped it on and splattered it.
Don't get anything that says anything about scuba. No mfg bags with big letters.
They just scream "open me and steal expensive stuff out of me."
I had an old Akona duffle that was faded, had crusty spots on it, and was the only bag I'd take on a dive trip where I had to fly. It said "I am poor, I can't afford decent luggage and this is probably filled with crappy stuff."
Also when you fly, put your worn underwear on the top so that's what they see first when they open it.

I'm a fan of Osprey bags, with an actual real warranty that they stand behind. I personally like their wheeled backpacks. Smooth surfaces I use the wheels, otherwise the backpack straps. If it's just a quick carry, then just the side or top carry handles.

Wheeled backpacks: https://www.osprey.com/us/en/category/travel/wheeled-bags/

Backpack duffels: https://www.osprey.com/us/en/category/travel/duffel-bags/
If you get something like this, put in an old duffle or even garbage bag with duct tape on it. Less tempting to TSA thieves.

I am looking for Dive Bag recommendations. I am diving with a Mares XR Trim and the rest of the gear. I will be visiting Roatan and Cozumel in August on a Royal Caribbean cruise. I am looking for a bag that I can either wear on my back or carry like a duffel. After my dives, I am going to regroup with my party to enjoy whatever time I have left at the particular location. I saw Mares has an XR Expedition bag, but it does not seem to be available at all in the US. I can't seem to get any real information on the bag itself.

Mares XR Expedition Bag

So I think I am looking for something similar to this bag. I also plan on going to either the Bahamas or Aruba later this year to do some diving as well. Welcome recommendations.

Thanks!
I have been very satisfied with Stahlsac products. They have taken some pretty serious beatings over the years and proven very durable. Ironically, I discovered them after one of the shoulder straps failed on my brand new Mares bag during its' madden voyage, and ended up having to find a quick replacement in order to get through my trip. That same old Stahlsac bag is still in use to this day, and I would happily buy another one if/when it ever gives up the ghost.

Looks like they have a few models to suit your needs, so maybe check'm out:

Hope this is helpful, and enjoy your trip!

This bag for local dives, a cheap ugly duffle for airline travel.

Edit: And Aliexpress has a cheap copy of this bag as well., 30l and 60L, I have those also.
1-duffel.jpg

Check out the Eagle Creek 130L Cargo Hauler. No matter what warrantee, tough as iron and only weighs 4.4 pounds. I will never buy anything else!
And I wrap up stealable items in my dirty underwear, go ahead TSA I dare you!

Back
Top Bottom