G'day from Melbourne

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to the more active phase, aMc10!

Enjoy all the great questions and answers as you explore around.

Have fun!

~~~~~
Claudette

Hi aMc10!

I dive in Melbourne too but have just started this year. Where abouts do you go diving? Seeing as I am new trying to find out where other Melbourne people dive :)

-Sarah

G'day fellow Melbournians..
Plenty of diving around Melbourne. Need to a little more considerate of timing for diving in the bay when the dredging's going on.

Whereabouts have you gone diving so far? There's a few good shore dives around the bay, and always the charter boats running out of Portsea

Hey, I dive with Dive Victoria out of Portsea, they run a pretty tight operation.

Drop me a line sometime and we can buddy up.

Thanks for the greets. I just moved to Melbourne a few months ago. So far, I've been for a few dives out of Portsea with Dive Vic, but I'm very much on the look out for some new dive buds! (Actually, any kind of buds - I don't know anyone here!)

What suburb are you lot in? I'm in Preston, so its a bit of a hike no matter where I dive :0

Dive Vic are by far the biggest operator, but I usually prefer to dive with AB Ocean Divers. They run out of Sorrento and are a more club oriented operation rather than the rack'em and stack'em that often happens with Dive Vic. AB only usually run two double dives per day, and only on weekends. If the dive is running late, eg slackwater comes 30 mins late, the schedule shifts. Yes, a delay for the next dive, but the alternative is cutting the run time or diving a slackwater site in a roaring current.

I've been on DV charters where most divers are on twins, diving a 30-40m wall and they tell us our run-time is 45mins so they can get back to the pier on time for the next trip..

Of course, having said all that, AB's boat is currently being operated by Dive Vic this summer :)

I'm in South Melbourne, so it's a good hour and a half drive for me to get down to Portsea. Made slightly more difficult by the fact that I don't have a car!

There's some decent shore dive spots between Cheltenham and Brighton. They're not deep by any stretch of the imagination, but generally some good stuff to see. And a cheap way to get wet especially if you've got all your own gear. I'm always willing to get in for a shorey if other commitments permit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom