G'day from Melbourne

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea we will dive at Lonsdale Wall + Giddiup, both new sites for me but dkatchlov speaks well of Lonsdale Wall so am looking forward to it :)

I dive about twice a month too but the rest of my April dives will be drift ones with my club. If you are ready for diving in May let me know if you need a buddy! :)

There are some great dives along Lonnie Wall. In fact, most of the better dives in the bay are at various spots along the wall somewhere.

I'm also up for diving most of the time, although house renovations are taking up most of my weekend time of late, and the next couple of weekends I'm heading off to Mt Gambier for some freshwater diving

yep dk and sas will be on here frequently now, good to know we can always get a buddy. Froop, i dived warun ponds in January, it was awesome, very cold tho. had a bit of bother trying to get neutral bouyancy in fresh water.

I believe it is an April Fools thing. I can't see it though?? Just heard people talking about it.

Hey Sas, GREAT haircut - good to see you again.

As for what the Bay is like now that dredging has started up again...... Well the Queen of the Netherlands is currently dredging in the Heads.

We dived at Lonsdale Wall (which is very near where the dedging is happening) on Sat and the vis was not great -but that was more to do with the storm we had last week.

However, what was errie as well as annoying, was the continual thud, thud, thud, you could hear from the dredger. It was a sound that not only was loud and ominous, it also reverbarated throughtout your body.

Even at 40m down Lonsdale Wall, you sound 'feel' the sound.

We were lucky to be diving on an ebb tide - so all of the crap that the dredger was bringing up was quickly swept out of the bay. However, our boat did go through the 'plume' and it wasn't a pretty site.

We were hoping to dive outside of the Heads today, but 4m swell at the Heads prohibited our dive boat from leaving the bay -but that didn't stop us from having a great drfit dive near Boarfish reef, even if the vis was awful. And you could still hear the dredger.

I'm not going to be around for the next couple of weeks - so I won't be able to give you vis and condition updates due to the dredging, but it's not likely to get any better.

Haha thanks Rosh :p Even so, I hope it grows back fairly quickly... it's much colder and I have to wear a hat all the time. :cold:

The dredging was annoying at Lonsdale Wall, but more so the noise. Most of my dives have been in poor visibility so I guess I don't know any better and have nothing to compare too! I only dived to 21m though, and I am surprised it was still annoying at 40m :(

My second dive was also a drift dive, but not sure where it was. We started near the dredge ship though. Was soo much fun, never done one of those before. I guess it will give me some practice for my Drift course in a few weeks :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom