G'Day from down under

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok, so i'm not Australian....... I'm a Pommie that moved to Western Oz last year.

I started diving 20 months ago in the UK, the Mrs bought it me because I was also interested in skydiving and I think she thought it was the safer option. I've always loved the water and I got hooked on diving.

I've just started my DM's course (at 49, I must be mad), hopefully i'll get to instructor, set up a dive charter, slob around on a boat for the rest of my life etc etc.

but back to reality, doing DM's and instructor just so I can help other people see what I can see under the water.

Anyone have any idea how I can get my non-swimming (well just) Mrs to start diving so I have an excuse to go on diving holidays :)

Colin

Well your first problem is you chose Bunbury to live in :p.....was there a reason for that or had you had too many warm ales? Seriously tho, welcome to both the state and SB. Your second problem is you are 49...49 year old people tend to have these insane dreams of slobbing around on boats....i know, i do and I'm 49. Also you need to immediately throw out all TV's, radio's, computers, tablets etc so she doesnt hear the continual daily OMG THERES A SHARK IN ITS HOME warnings we get all summer long. You may also end up with more children if you do this though so perhaps gently introducing her to how amazing the underwater world can be may save you a lot of money in the long run.

Has she done a DSD at all? Getting her interested in the underwater world is the biggest driver for her to want to dive - Its a drive but what about a visit to Aquarama? she can safely look through the glass at how beautiful sea life is. You can do a dive there too - not a fan of diving in aquariums but If you are interested id be happy to show up and have a chat and even dive with you.

Getting her confident and comfortable in the water would be a big help - the Bunbury Aquatic Centre does the Bronze medallion swim program - Bronze Medallion which may be something you could look into for her. Best of luck and if you do head up to Aquarama give me a PM and I can meet you up there if you would like...Im good at holiday talk too :wink:

Hi Wingy, Thanks for the reply, gave me a chuckle during lunch time at work.

Bunbury - well it was either that or Collie, but I didn't marry my sister's aunty so i'm not qualified for there (apologies if you have relatives there but everyone gives it grief, even people I know that live there). Bunbury was chosen because it's the closest place to the sea for where I work (up at Muja Power Station) and it seemed cosmopolitan enough for our needs.

49, boats - yes, looking to do my skippers ticket (if I can persuade the Mrs it's a requirement down here), then get the boat, i'll try sneaking that one under her radar - "yes dear, I've had this for ages" type of thing. As for getting rid of T.V's etc, there's a bloke here at work just onto his 5th kid, we've all said he needs to get a tv that works so that's out the question, and as for sharks she keeps mentioning about how she's ordered one for when I go diving!!!!

My mrs' main thing is that she's just not confident in the water, she can snorkel and loves that, but I have to be near her and she wont go out of her depth in water so that Bronze whaler thing sounds like a good idea....... wait I meant bronze medallion :)

We've been up to that AQWA place and I've been in with the sharks but i'll do it again anytime (even if I do get grief from back in the UK about diving in a fish prison) so i'll give you a shout when i'm heading back up that way.

and as for warm ales!! the landlord of the local bar (who is Irish) gives me grief about warm beer but I will get him educated as to the proper temp to serve real ale (if I ever manage to find some here rather than all the local concoction that masquerades as beer)

cheers :cheers:

Col

Back
Top Bottom