GC and Photo Classes at Cathy Church Photo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jersey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After returning from Bonaire last week and evaluating my pics (fish butts, blurry fish butts, washed out fish butts and...more fish butts) I've decided I need to invest some time and effort into this UW photography thing. I know I should be getting better results from this camera. (OK, they were not all fish butts, but I'm still frustrated.)

Thinking of some training at Cathy Church Photography. Need to work on optimizing settings, lighting, composition, just about everything. Anyone have any experience? Opinions? My goal is just to be able to have some decent images I can print, frame, hang in my beach house and say "I took that". Not looking for covers of magazines, selling anything, or calling myself anything other than 'an un-professional UW photog'.

Locally I don't know of any places that offer in water classes. I do have an UW photog and video team living 2 miles away, but don't think they teach, they work. The diving around me is limited, cold, frequently blown out, the sea is green and fish are brown, but tasty. The local quarry (the famous Dutch Springs, Allentown PA) shuttered the doors last year.

I've been to GC and amazingly appears I can get some decent pricing for my time frame. Dive buddies can go off and do their dive things - boat and shore - while I'm in class. I'm seeing $1,500 for a 2 bedroom condo just off 7MB (stayed there before), airfare about $600, car rental $300. Split the lodging and car 3 ways. I may actually have $$ to eat!

Some fish butts attached for your amusement...and the Angel who swam straight at my camera!

Attachments

• IMG_3125.JPG
    IMG_3125.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3128.JPG
    IMG_3128.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3129.JPG
    IMG_3129.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3124.JPG
    IMG_3124.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3162.JPG
    IMG_3162.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 57
I haven't been down to her shop for a few years but based on her website, she seems to still be in business. 10 years ago, she was a great teacher.

You might also consider Little Cayman Beach Resort. There is a Backscatter shop on site and Tiago is an enthusiastic instructor. I did a class with him just before covid and he certainly helped my up my skills. LC is a pricier trip but a great experience.

Jersey, whether you do or don't do some training (Cathy Church is legendary, of course, and if you look at Bluewater, Backscatter, and similar sites, there are lots of opportunities for it), you might consider starting with a solid manual. There are a number of them, some based on the specific equipment you're using (TG-6, GoPro, action cam, etc.), and others which cover the principles, strategies, and equipment more than specific platforms. I rely most on Martin Edge's "The Underwater Photographer." I read at least the macro, wide, and lighting sections on the airplane on nearly every trip. Also, the Backscatter website, among others, has some good how-to videos. And not many underwater images you see online are right out of the camera. Three minutes in Photoshop (or any other of many editors) and your fish, even starting with a compressed file to get it online, looks like this, which is of course just one of many ways to go with it:
Jersey's fish.jpg

Looking at your pix, you can probably benefit as much from post-processing as from in-water shooting, but you can get both -- inexpensively -- at this:
No need to go to GC.
I've done the Reef workshop three times (three different instructors) and it is a good event.

Thank you all, and many of my pics were far far better than what I posted. These were the goofs, especially the Angel who came at me. I used to processing & print my own work. UW is a steep learning curve giving me a far greater appreciation of those who do it for a living.

@rmorgan > I do have PhotoShop, I know I need to spend time on the sites, you are the second person to recommend Backscatter, watch/do online stuff, but the challenges of daily life seem to get in the road. One of those 'when I get around to it' things, I never get around to. Guess I'm going to have to attack it as I do the guy and just pencil it in. Thanks!

@tursiops > I've always wanted to dive BHB. Last time I was down that way for work I was sick and the weather didn't cooperate. Maybe my client will want me back onsite and I can combine. Know exactly where Pura Vida is, we had a team dinner at Sailfish Marina restaurant down the street.

GC registered on my radar as my nephew, brother, husband and I had been discussing-planning-pricing at Christmas 2019 for Summer 2020, and we all know what happened next. Looking at my pics, wondering where to go next and thought hhhmmm > guys could dive, I could learn. Easy shore diving, nice boats, some shallow stuff, a wreck and walls.

Sounds like GC will meet the needs of your group quite nicely. Lots of shore diving and walls, great dive ops and shore entry locations. As far as wrecks, the Kittiwake was purpose sunk about 10 years ago and is intact. The Oro Verdi and Balbo are rubble fields. If you have stayed there before, of course you know all of this. Post a trip report.

I don’t know about everyone else, but I like your Curious Angel image! Back in my early Nikonos days if I got a couple/few with tha much presence, I was a happy camper. JMHO of course.
🐸

Looking at your pix, you can probably benefit as much from post-processing as from in-water shooting, but you can get both -- inexpensively -- at this:
No need to go to GC.
I've done the Reef workshop three times (three different instructors) and it is a good event.
Blue Heron Bridge is essentially closed until the fall. I'm all in favor of Reef Photo, great people

@Jersey I may have missed it, what photo equipment do you use?

You don't need the best equipment to get acceptable photos. I use a good point and shoot in a good housing (Canon G7X, Nauticam) with just ambient light. My goal is to get photos to share with family and friends and to post with reviews. I do nothing but use one button white balance and crop a few photos. The key for me is to anticipate photos and get myself gracefully into the right place. Trip Report - Bonaire: Den Laman and Dive Friends, August 17-31. 2022

Best of luck in your quest.

With the passing of Bob Warkenton and the loss of his Southern Nikonos, my long standing affair with Nikonos (and film camera) seems to have come to an end. 😪
I recently purchased a SeaLife Micro 3.0 that I will try to figure out and break in
for my June Bahamas trip. To a certain degree, a camera is a camera and photography is photography, so I just need to try and figure out all of these controls. The strong point for me about this camera is that it’s sealed. No o-rings to grease, no concerns about leaky seams. I plan to just point and shoot like a topside tourist, and with a large digital memory my shots-to-keepers ratio is no longer a concern. 😁
🐸

No need to go to GC.
Great advice. I really want to dive BHB but have puzzled over the logistics—this is obviously perfect. Thanks, tursiops.

Back
Top Bottom