gauge with big digits + seconds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmalinowski:
I like my aladin tec. nice size digits, seconds, resettable stop watch, avg depth.

Me too!
Plus the Aladin tec 2g has the avg depth feature.
The avg depth is even resetable while under water.
Best bottom timer (computer) out there in my opinion

Milo

I had a Aladin Tec until a button fell off recently. Its in warranty limbo right now.

The digits are so-so IMO. Not the worst to read not really that big either.

TS&M, remind us to check out you vytec next time.

You can dive it next time if you want, and I'll use one of your bottom timers.

Until Uwatec/Scubapro solves their quality issues with the Aladdin Tec Series, I'd say stay away from it. Go with a Suunto Vyetk sans transmitter, in a DSS bungie mount: http://www.deepseasupply.com/page18.html
Used in Gauge Mode for deep Tech/Wreck Dives. A resettable averaging feature like the Aladdin 2G would be nice if Suunto decides to add it in the future, but you really don't need it for true, square profile, deco dives. . .

Kevrumbo:
Until Uwatec/Scubapro solves their quality issues with the Aladdin Tec Series, I'd say stay away from it. Go with a Suunto Vyetk sans transmitter, in a DSS bungie mount: http://www.deepseasupply.com/page18.html
Used in Gauge Mode for deep Tech/Wreck Dives. A resettable averaging feature like the Aladdin 2G would be nice if Suunto decides to add it in the future, but you really don't need it for true, square profile, deco dives. . .

I second this. I swithced to a Tec when my Vytec died about 6 months ago. Three months later, the Tec died. The Vytec at least lasted a few years and does have the biggest digits. I have a D3 as well that replaced a very old G-shock that finally got too old to be worth replace the batteries, the strap, etc. I haven't used a computer in computer mode in over a decade so all of these are just very expensive bottom timers for a slight convenience. I can blow diving budget on these things because I already have a garage full of scooters, drysuits and everything else I need. If you are not in this position, I would highly recommend a g-shock with a stopwatch that is hard to read but will give you seconds when you need it and a Uwatec bottom timer. I went back to mine that I retired years ago simply because it still works and the expensive computers used as bottomer timers aren't reliable enough.

I have a G-shock. It sucks since I basically can't manage the buttons UW. Starting it is a pita and then it sometimes gets into lap mode and I can't get it out.

The Aladin tec was great while it lasted. And hopefully they'll just send back a new 2G.

rjack321:
I have a G-shock. It sucks since I basically can't manage the buttons UW. Starting it is a pita and then it sometimes gets into lap mode and I can't get it out.

The Aladin tec was great while it lasted. And hopefully they'll just send back a new 2G.

There is no need to use the stopwatch, you simply leave it in watch mode and use the seconds when you want to be a little more precise like when gauging ascent rate.

RTodd:
If you are not in this position, I would highly recommend a g-shock with a stopwatch that is hard to read but will give you seconds when you need it and a Uwatec bottom timer.
This is exactly what I use, and it works great. I have had my G-Shock since 1995, and have changed the batteries in it only once, about a year and a half ago. It has been one of the more reliable pieces of dive equipment that I have ever owned. If you want to have the ability to download your profiles after the dive, get a Sensus data logger from ReefNet.

The sum total cost of those three items (G-Shock + Uwatec BT + Sensus) is less than what most folks typically spend on a fancy dive computer, and they are far more reliable. Even if one of them breaks, you are not going to be out more than $150 or so. "Just say no" to feature-laden dive computers - they often cause more problems than they solve.

RTodd:
There is no need to use the stopwatch, you simply leave it in watch mode and use the seconds when you want to be a little more precise like when gauging ascent rate.

I can't see those tiny things, nevermind my -8/-7 wife.

You know, if the Vytec is the route, the Liquidvision F1 doesn't look so bad in terms of cash outlay.

It is really too bad there isn't a reasonably priced, large digit bottom timer with seconds and some of the other features that would be nice to have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom