Gathering Ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jasoncassanova

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a bp/w from dss, now my problem is i'm underweight by around 4lbs. I was told by tobin from dss to just wear a weight belt, a dealer here in the Philippines said what he does is put lead weights onto the backplate by using plastic straps.

Maybe you have an idea on how to add that 4lbs. onto the backplate, I really don't want to wear a weight belt coz for me that is one of the reason why i bought a bp/w.

any great idea will be very much appreciated

Make or get a "P weight" which is a weight that mounts on the front side (against diver's back) of the back plate. XS Scuba sells nylon pouches for this that can be filled with lead shot.

OR

place some lead on the belt of your harness. You can place it on the RH side, held in place by an extra weight belt buckle, and it's even still ditchable. You can be extra cool by saying "that simulates my canister light." :D

VI

Make or get a "P weight" which is a weight that mounts on the front side (against diver's back) of the back plate. XS Scuba sells nylon pouches for this that can be filled with lead shot.

OR

place some lead on the belt of your harness. You can place it on the RH side, held in place by an extra weight belt buckle, and it's even still ditchable. You can be extra cool by saying "that simulates my canister light." :D

VI

i researching about "P Weight" it looks like a good idea :)

i don't like the feel of having a weight on one side, sometimes i feel like i'm leaning over to the right when underwater :D he he he

i don't like the feel of having a weight on one side, sometimes i feel like i'm leaning over to the right when underwater :D he he he

The beauty of the wing is that you can compensate or dis-balance by just moving some air from one side to the other. Lean on the side opposite to the one you feel heavy and some air will move there. Unless of cause your wing is totally empty

For adding 4 lbs to my rig I just wrap a weight belt around the tanks and place the belt right on top of the stabilizer that Tobin builds into his singles wings. Trims me just fine, but it's not ditchable if you are worried about that.

Peace,
Greg

Lots of options. Two questions:
a) Ditchable or not?
b) Where does it need to be trim-wise?

The slickest solution is probably something like https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=103 . Mounts to the plate and you are done (note: this model is too heavy).

You could also buy a STA and/or STA weights.

You could also mount a weight pouch(es) on a camband.

You could create a short length of webbing with two x 2# on it and wedge it sort of between the plate and tank. (I am not a fan but I know others that do this)

You could take two 2# ankle weights and clip them to the neck of the tank valve. (I am not a fan but I know others that do this). Or wear them on your ankles. (I am not a fan but I know others that do this).

Or you could wear a belt. A simple one with a metal buckle. Or one with pockets. Or a seasoft one. Or use a DUI Weight & Trim. Or add weight pockets to you waist strap. Or dive with a heavier tank. Or start carrying a can light. Or start carrying a pony bottle. Or attach some weights to the BP harness. Or use the clip-on weights. Or...

Use 2 lbs each side, held in place against the wing with a tri-glide. all kinds of options!

(4 lbs...nice...I wish I had THOSE kind of weighting problems! I dive 30lbs of lead on my single alu setup)

Back
Top Bottom