gas switch: backgas? move bottles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The OP cited "T50/Extended Range" dives. ~165fsw you shouldn't need two deco gases anyway, moot point. I go from gas to gas, don't bother switching to back gas. By the time you're doing dives where you have complex gas switches you should be on CCR anyway (and if you find yourself on open circuit you've bailed out and have bigger problems).

uhh...wut?

It depends on the bottom time. Sometimes 2 gases make a lot of sense for dives in the 160ft range. I think it probably makes sense more often than not.

In regards to bailing out, managing your deco bottles and ascent is probably the biggest thing you've got to worry about. Post bailout is not the place to find out that you suck at OC diving.

managing your deco bottles and ascent is probably the biggest thing you've got to worry about. Post bailout is not the place to find out that you suck at OC diving.

Agreed. Though, if I'm bailed out, I'm worried about getting out of the water and I'm going gas to gas to the surface (again, from 160fsw) I'm not worrying about "air breaks".

Different philosophies. If I bail out I'm going to do my normal ascent.

So walk me through that one; for simplicity's sake let's assume you're on a dsv rather than a bov. At 165' you deploy and bail to your deep BO, ascend on your OC schedule to your first switch, deploy BO deco gas #1, make the switch, stow deep BO, continue ascent until your second switch...at which point you're going to deploy and go back to the deep BO for your air break while you stow BO deco gas #1 and deploy BO deco gas #2, then switch again, and then stow the deep BO a second time?

As for the OP's question question, who the Hell is teaching to move bottles around during switches unless you've got so many deco bottles you've had to leash some of the shallow ones? That's just...weird. And begging to make switching to the wrong gas easier, though if you're only playing musical bottles shallow I suppose it's less of an issue unless you're needing hypoxic deco mixes for very deep dives...and at that point I have to think you're leashing that sucker pretty early on in the deco schedule.

I wouldn't dive a RB without a BOV.

Flip the lever on the BOV, get to switch depth, make the switch, deco deco deco, put the BOV back in my mouth, clean up reg, ascend 10ft to the next switch depth, switch, deco deco deco, etc. Purdy simple :)

Last edited:
Rule #1 about switching bottles: make sure you have a ton of them and that someone is filming you.
Rule #2 about switching bottles: going to back gas between switching is an excuse to show off your long hose.. and the person in the dive video you watched did that too...

Forum guideline article 1 section 4: don't argue with someone who uses santa as an avatar...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't dive a RB without a BOV.

Flip the lever on the BOV, get to switch depth, make the switch, deco deco deco, put the BOV back in my mouth, clean up reg, ascend 10ft to the next switch depth, switch, deco deco deco, etc. Purdy simple :)

Guess that whole DIR 'gear solution to a skills problem' thing goes out the window for CCR. Whatever turns your crank, though.

I've read enough reports of folks who are so borked mentally that they can't even take the DSV out of their mouth to switch.

No thanks, chief. I'd rather not drown.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom