Garmin MK2i

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dody

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello. I am considering getting rid of my Aqualung i300c and i750 DC for a Garmin MK2i. I might keep the 300 for backup and sell the 750. Any feedback from the Garmin? I usually don't like smartwatches becauses of the short battery life and the fact that the OS becomes obsolete very fast. But I am talking about diving here. I love the GPS functionality, the messaging capability and the inReach integration. However, I can't find how much the satellite service costs.

There's a huge thread discussing the Mk2 in the Computer forum: Garmin Descent MK2

I just got mine but haven't dived with it yet so I can't say anything other than it looks cool. :)

Are you going to use it for anything other than diving? If not, you're missing out on half its usefulness.

Depends on if I can figure out how to block the data upload to Garmin. They freely admit to selling your collected data in their privacy policy (just like every other company out there anymore). That pisses me off, especially with a device I paid them $1500 for. If I can't do that then it will be relegated to whatever I can use off the watch directly, and Subsurface upload for dive logs. It does have a lot of cool stuff on it though!
I don't think it will be too hard to detect and block. That's one of the things I do for a living. :dork2:

• Disagree
Reactions: L13
Are you going to use it for anything other than diving? If not, you're missing out on half its usefulness.
For diving of course but also for biking and walking. And the heart rate monitoring along with the oxygen saturation are important for me too.

I don't have a II but I do have a 1. All I would say is I can't see mine as well as I use to, Don't know how your eyes are doing but those small digits are very hard to see the older my eyes get. I would not want that to be my primary computer.

I have one and I love it. In response to @ScubaJCBS, the Mk2 has a larger display squeezed into the same form size - but it's still not as easy to read as my HW OSTC Sport.

I got the Garmin for air integration, and to use as my everyday fitness tracking watch - it has hardly left my wrist except to download to Subsurface after diving (Subsurface needs to use USB, can't use BT) and about once a week to charge it. Hands down best battery life I've ever got out of a smart watch.

If messaging capability and InReach connectivity are deciding factors, you'd want to see exactly what you're aiming to achieve out of them - yes, the watch supports those, but IMO it's more of a check-box on the feature list rather than a useful addition. If you're planning on using InReach, you still need to buy an InReach device - the watch just blue-tooth connects to the InReach for minimal functionality, much like the way it connects to your phone.

For diving, The GPS is handy for my own curiosity more than anything - I can mark the entry and exit points of my dives, and see how far I travel on drift dives. But for boat diving, the captain gets me to the spot using a more suitable GPS for that purpose, and for shore dives I use landmarks.

For HR monitor, the wrist sensor it is of limited use for diving. It is most accurate when directly against the skin. I have had some success with it reading my HR through a wetsuit (It either works for the whole dive, or doesn't work at all), and it doesn't work through my dry suit seals. So you'll need an ANT+ chest strap HR, which can't reliability communicate to the watch through exposure suit and water, so readings will be patchy during the dive, and sync with the watch when it can connect topside (Theory only, I've not actually tried this)

For non-diving activities, the Mk2i has pretty much all of the Garmin sports features that their flagship Fenix line has. I've used it to pretty accurately track running, cycling, kayaking and SUPing. And for strength work outs it tracks sets and reps, and can also program fitness workouts, that also gives you animated pictures to remind you what each exercise is.

For diving of course but also for biking and walking. And the heart rate monitoring along with the oxygen saturation are important for me too.
Personally, I've found the HRM to be so inaccurate as to be worthless. Compared to my chest strap monitors that I use for running and cycling the watch is so far off it's comical.

I have a Descent Mk2i Used it for 10 dives so far.

It's great. I have the air integration T1 transmitters for both me and my wife, so I can monitor both of our air usage throughout the dive. The air integration has worked consistently without a hitch. I saw an online review that complained about hearing a beeping noise from the sonar transmitter. I have found that I can barely hear it and I don't notice it at all any more.

Battery life is very good. Can dive for a week and not have to worry about recharging it.

Many of the data fields can be customized to display the information you want it to display.

Displays are easy to read and you can switch between displays by just tapping the watch face. (No need to press buttons.) It pairs with your phone, so after a dive, you can transfer all of your dive data to your electronic dive log.

The dive functions work well. I've never done a cold water dive with a wetsuit, so I've not had issues with the heart rate monitor. The heart monitor works fine underwater with just a rash guard.

Besides diving, the Mk2i is a fully functional fitness and navigation watch. I use if for hiking,backpacking, climbing and other activities. It tracks my heart rate, sleep, exercise, etc. It's got great map/gps functionality so I can use it for navigating in the backcountry and offroad.

I have a Garmin inReach, but haven't bothered with connecting my inReach and Mk2i. I don't see the benefits of connecting them, particularly because I typically just keep my inReach powered off to conserve battery life.

Can you use the watch as a standalone in reach communicator? Or do you still have to have a separate device?
Swapping my computer as well. Thinking would be a nice capability if I ever get “misplaced” by a boat captain again.. happened recently. Captain wasn’t paying attention and we were lost / adrift for almost an hour.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom