Gangs in Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah. 2 Alleged drug dealers killed, no tourists, but then this blurb lower down:

"The incident comes two weeks after a Californian travel blogger and a German tourist were killed at a restaurant in the nearby beach resort of Tulum during a shootout between suspected gang members.

“It was only the latest in a series of attacks in Tulum’s tourist zone,” said Vicente Carrera, publisher of news site Noticaribe."

And

"But the region has been plagued by violence as drug cartels dispute territories and run extortion rackets."

I don't see the time of day or night mentioned, though people were playing volleyball. The prior episode when the Californian and German were killed was said to've occurred 'late Wednesday.'

Naturally this triggers a 'they should do more' response, but it's a hard, complex issue. One article mentions the strategy of targeting kingpins leads to fragmentation in the gangs, and that can exacerbate conflict.

That said, I hope they get this settled down fast. Once a region gets enough bad publicity as dangerous for tourists, it can take awhile to shake it.

Makes me glad that almost all of my diving is in Palm Beach County where it's safe.

Makes me glad that almost all of my diving is in Palm Beach County where it's safe.
'Where it's safe' is a key term, and whether people can tell where that is.

What makes the original story scary isn't that a couple of (alleged) drug dealers got killed by rival criminals. As long as we're not drug dealers or rival criminals, and don't know them personally, it seems little threat.

The issue is the potential for bystanders to be hurt or killed. So, how much of a threat is this? Are the usual risk mitigation strategies (e.g.: at least for some of us, avoid obvious bad neighborhoods, don't go out drunk, don't go looking for drugs, don't hit on local women in bars and get in fights with their boyfriends, etc...) sufficient?

We can find violent crime reports in quite a number of U.S. cities. I think most people figure it's not a big deal because if you stick to upscale residential or shopping areas the odds a street gang is going to mug you are pretty low.

The fear factor is greater when considering a foreign destination because we lack intuitive familiarity with it. And 2 weeks earlier 2 tourists were killed as bystanders in a shootout at a nearby beach resort.

That this occurred at a beach by a luxury hotel is alarming. And the reported destabilization/fracturing of the local criminal community with fighting factions.

If I had a stay booked at an A.I. in Cancun I wouldn't cancel over this, but if I were torn between an A.I. at Cancun vs. Dominican Republic, it could be the swing vote.

I hope for everyone's sake we're not reading a similar area story in another couple of weeks.

FloriDUH. No big surprises here. 🥱

There are issues and they are way bigger than what you see in the news.

Its still safer than going to a Walmart / movie theatre / church in the US. Or being a black man in Chicago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom