Galveston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dk2943

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I find that I will be in Galveston at the end of June. Can anyone tell me about the diving there? Can anyone recommend a dive operator?

Thx

I find that I will be in Galveston at the end of June. Can anyone tell me about the diving there? Can anyone recommend a dive operator?

Thx

Catch a boat that can take you several hundred miles until you reach the Florida Keys. That will likely be the best diving out of Galveston.:D (Actually you can go about 100 miles south the the Flower Gardens - supposed to be outstanding diving but not for beginners)

Seriously, I'm not aware of Gulf diving near Galveston. Thanks to the mighty Mississippi it's chocolate milk.

You may want to try out a new place near by around Brazosport called Mammoth Lake. I've not been there yet but from what I hear on the board it's been upgraded to chocolate milk lite . . .and you get to see a firetruck underwater.:eyebrow:

Good luck

The diving off Galveston isn't great but not as dismal as the previous post suggests. You can get charters to go about 20 to 30 miles offshore to reach blue water and dive the rigs. You can expect 30 to 50 foot viz and there is an amazing amount of life around the rigs.

I can personally recommend Sport Divers and their boat Easy Diver.

DK,

I concur with what Reefhound said on ALL counts. Couple of other things.....the viz has been better at Mammoth Lake than has been suggested in another post. Also, the MV's Spee and Fling operating out of Freeport, TX (40 min from Galveston) are a class act to the world class diving available at the Flower Gardens. They can team you up with a group that hasw a team leader who will assist you and answewr questions as needed. Contact Divewookie here on Scubaboard, or check out Sea Sports Scuba Houston web site, travel section for trips available during you time window at Galveston.

Also, see Gulf Diving LLC. I'm usually out on the boats myself but I find myself here in Utila having to endure with LaCuda and stick it out until August

Regards,

I live on the island West End. I agree, there just isn't any good shore dives. I have explored many spots such has the bay of 61st, the ship channel, west end beach, San Lois Pass. All dangerous, currents and zero viz. Go out on a boat to the rigs when the current are not to strong. We also have The Texas Clipper but is in South Texas. Mammoth Lake is an excellent alternative.

We went to Mammouth last weekend. Vis was 8-12 mabye. I can't wait for our trip to Florida later next month.

Sorry guys . . .didn't mean to make it sound totally "dismal". The smiley faces were supposed to communicate a degree of light-heartedness.
That being said, it will be a significant boat ride out of galveston to get out of the murk.
I've not dived the rigs. I've been told by several friends who have that they're a blast but not necessarily a place for new divers still working on their buoyancy control.
And, I look forward to diving at mammoth lake but as I alluded, I have been told to get there before all the classes are in full gear or one will be looking at pretty poor viz.

It may take a few hours to get to the rigs offshore but it can be a great if the weather is just right. In over 30 years of diving I've seen anywhere from a few inches to over a 100 ft visiablity at the rigs. You just never know what you'll get. I seen some of the largest fish (300 Jew fish, 30 lb Barracuda, and giant Lings there. Once again you never know and somedays you might not see anything but small "trash" fish". You roll the dice on both weather, seas and visiability when you dive the Gulf of Mexico off Galveston. Mammoth Lake is great for beginners but if you have saltwater in your veins then take a chance and give the Gulf a try.

Just found out I probably won't have the time to dive, but from your posts, it may be just as well. I must be really spoiled. I live in Miami, with Ft.Lauderdale just an hour to the north and the Keys, just an hour to the south.

Well the diving here would definitely be a step down except for maybe one of those "special" days on the rigs. Many of us in Texas make trips to your area just to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom