Galveston Rigs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

captain

Contributor
Reaction score
I am in the New Orleans, La area and dive the Louisiana rigs. My daughter recently move to Leaque City south of Houston and I am thinking about towing my boat along when I visit her. What is the best direction and distance out of Galveston to get to rigs and decent water. Thanks for any help.

Galveston might not be the best place to launch cause the waters out of Glaveston are some what shallow. A lot more people go out of Freeport rather than Galveston. But even Freeport isn't great right now. With are the rain all over Texas the rivers have been running high and putting alot of muddy water into the Gulf. It has been a few weeks since I have been offshore and even at 30 miles the water viz wasn't very good. I talked to a few guys that have went out last weekend and they said water didn't really start clearing up until 40 miles offshore.

Agree with Michael for the short term. But for later in the year, there are boats that leave from Galveston for the rigs. Call Sportdivers of Houston (in Webster, near League City), they'll take you out to the 30-40 mile range rigs. http://www.sportdivers.com/boat.html

daniel f aleman:
Agree with Michael for the short term. But for later in the year, there are boats that leave from Galveston for the rigs. Call Sportdivers of Houston (in Webster, near League City), they'll take you out to the 30-40 mile range rigs. http://www.sportdivers.com/boat.html

This charter leaves port at Freeport.

Well. Anyway, there are boats that do leave from Galeveston, but I would recommend leaving from Freeport.

captain:
I am in the New Orleans, La area and dive the Louisiana rigs. My daughter recently move to Leaque City south of Houston and I am thinking about towing my boat along when I visit her. What is the best direction and distance out of Galveston to get to rigs and decent water. Thanks for any help.

Basically, you're best runnung 120 to 140 off the south jetty for 20-30 miles. You'll see rigs before that. Better yet... go to academy store and get yourself a waterproof copy of Hot Spot fishing chart. It has tons of locations with recipricol headings and gps and loran coordinates. Covers both Freeport and Galveston. Come when the sky has been blue and the winds have been calm. Are you a spearo? Good luck and good diving. I didn't read the entere threar so you may already better info.

Regards,

captain:

Captain ... What in the world are you doing here :confused:

Did you get lost... this is Texas not Louisiana ~~~ ain't Solo Divers either...

Hmmmmm.....

Well ....All the cool people do eventually end up here so pull up a chair :D

Timeliner:
Captain ... What in the world are you doing here :confused:

Did you get lost... this is Texas not Louisiana ~~~ ain't Solo Divers either...

Hmmmmm.....

Well ....All the cool people do eventually end up here so pull up a chair :D

My daughter and son in law moved to the great state of Texas and they want me to bring my boat when I visit so I just as soon check out the diving and spearing while I'm there.

Cudabait:
Basically, you're best runnung 120 to 140 off the south jetty for 20-30 miles. You'll see rigs before that. Better yet... go to academy store and get yourself a waterproof copy of Hot Spot fishing chart. It has tons of locations with recipricol headings and gps and loran coordinates. Covers both Freeport and Galveston. Come when the sky has been blue and the winds have been calm. Are you a spearo? Good luck and good diving. I didn't read the entere threar so you may already better info.

Regards,

Been a spearo for many moons. thanks for the info.

captain:
My daughter and son in law moved to the great state of Texas and they want me to bring my boat when I visit so I just as soon check out the diving and spearing while I'm there.

Good plan !!

If I could just get My Daughter and sonandLaw to move out of state like you I'd have it made
:rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom