Suggestion Gallery spam....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
tech_diver

tech_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
This isn't really a complaint since spam is a fact of life we all have to deal with. But what's the deal with all the gallery spam?

Child support lawyers parksville - ScubaBoard Gallery
Cpm in construction management - ScubaBoard Gallery

This one is my favorite "Christian Book Editing"
Editing christian books - ScubaBoard Gallery

I wonder if this person doesn't know that their marketing people are spamming forums or if they do know and see it as a valid way to 'Spread the Word!' I never thought of Jesus being the type that would use junk mail tactics but what do I know. Maybe it's a faith based emarketing company.

WWJS

Who Would Jesus Spam?

Anyway, I'm personally very careful to avoid using SB Postings as my free advertising beyond the sig line (allowed in TOS). As many posters that come down on dive operations who post to much self promotion in the forums, you'd think people would be outraged at these photos.

Shouldn't their photos be removed from the gallery to keep these people from parasitizing SB's hard earned web traffic?

The deal is this.

1) On the forum, we have a plugin which prevents a lot of spam for the most part.

2) On the forum, spam is squashed very quickly, as people are on the forum all the time. The gallery gets less usage, and therefore the spam isn't seen as frequently nor is it reported as much.

3) There is an option to report the photo similar to the option to report the post, and the appropriate action would be taken.

The posts you refer to are gone.

Thanks.

When ever I try to report a spam picture - I get an unrecoverable error message.

Below is the error when I tried to report the spam:

We're sorry, but the system experienced an unrecoverable error. Please try again later.

Script:

Query: SELECT cat FROM photos WHERE idt=196040

Result: Unknown column 'idt' in 'where clause'

Database handle: Resource id #207

I'm sure the SB crew will have the 'report' button fixed soon.

But, I've come up with something different and more fun than just hitting 'Report'. We can post comments about our feelings toward spammers and the companies that use them. Then once there is a long list of loving comments, we PM the posting account letting them know that the original sponsor will be sent a link to the offending picture so they can read the results of their marketing.

It could be like battling lionfish!

Fighting spam anywhere in the world is fighting spam everywhere in the world!

With all going on this planet, I don't know why this spam stuff gets to me so much. I'm sure the NSA knows exactly what organizations are behind this but they're busy looking looking for evidence of terrorism... and college girls spring break pictures.

I've removed several more similar spam images (and banned the spammers). Until the report button is fixed, feel free to PM me, or report in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom