Galileo Sol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Caseyd1971

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey everyone...I was wondering if I can use my Sol without a transmitter. I am starting my tech training and I am trying to eliminate entanglement hazards. Any advice will be appreciated.

I've used my Luna without one briefly and don't recall any difference outside not getting pressure and no RBT calculation. However this was a pool dive generally practicing with some equipment and didnt go deeper than 12' so no NDL or deco calculations really. But I didnt have any errors and everything was displaying.

If i recall correctly from when i took the computer training course if the RBT is not available NDL is displayed instead.

The AI is optional on all Galileos. You don't "need" the transmitter unless you want to use the AI feature.

You will probably end up having to put it in guage mode. Your tech instructor will likely want you to plan dives using paper or some kind of software. The computer won't match the plan. That sounds fine, except if you don't do a mandatory stop with Galileo it will lock you out.

I switched from galileo to shearwater. I still use the galileo for OW diving, because my shearwater doesn't have AI. Sooner or later I'll upgrade to a shearwater with AI now that they sell one.

I did Tec40, 45, and 50 with one...never used it in Gauge Mode, never got locked out, no issues. I did those in back mount doubles and left the transmitter on my right post reg pointing down towards the tank. I don't think it's any more of an entanglement risk, and doesn't add a point of failure any more than a port plug, does it? I had a brass/glass SPG on my left post always.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom