Galileo Sol Warranty **BEWARE**

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excuse me? NOTHING was taken "out of context" and nothing in what Scubapro stated has "no implication".

What part of the direct quotation from a Scubapro Customer Service representitive do you not understand?
I asked them about purchasing from an AD anywhere in the world. The answer was as above with the SPECIFIC additional statement by the Scubapro rep that scubastore.com is an AD for Scubapro BUT items purchased via scubastore.com must be returned to Scubapro EU for Factory Warranty.
I did not bring scubastore.com into the conversation - the customer service rep did.

There was no conversation about using DiveInn's brick and mortar location. To use what seems to be your favorite word - the "implication" is that if purchased from DiveInn's physical location (and therefore subject to VAT, etc) you should therefore be able to access Scubapro's worldwide warranty.

This really isn't very difficult to understand. They DO honor all warranties in all locations IF PURCHASED FROM AN AUTHORIZED DEALER - not off ebay/ craigslist/ from some guy on a dive boat!
But, if you want to save ~$500+ and buy from scubastore.com, you will have to send it back to Spain to get Factory Warranty Service through Scubapro EU.

Seriously, what got your panties in a bunch? I'm not questioning anything you wrote. I 'mnot saying you mis-quoted them or anything. I am saying that the CONTEXT of your conversation is not listed. I don't know how your quesiton was phrased to them and what they thought you meant.

I am, however, telling you what Scubapro has told other customers regarding products purchased from Europe and shipped to the US.

I asked them about purchasing from an AD anywhere in the world. The answer was as above with the SPECIFIC additional statement by the Scubapro rep that scubastore.com is an AD for Scubapro BUT items purchased via scubastore.com must be returned to Scubapro EU for Factory Warranty.
I did not bring scubastore.com into the conversation - the customer service rep did.

If we're going to get all picky, yes, you asked them about purchasing it ANYWHERE in the world, not about buying it from a website and having it shipped to the US. Thats my point, I don't know what your question implied to Scubapro or how they took your question. I'm not saying you're wrong.

Now you're adding an inflammatory statement like "panties in a bunch" to the endless incorrect assumptions, "impressions", and illogical conclusions? Stop putting words into what I have said, questioning the "context", or making assumptions about what I am stating. I'm not implying anything! I'm just reporting an actual, quoted conversation with an genuine, live Scubapro Customer Service Representative in an attempt to help the "global" ScubaBoard community.

Let's step aside for a moment.
Here's my take on all of this.
I'd like to buy a Galileo Sol.
I do not have a local AD.
I have searched within a 250 mile radius for one of these dive computers. I cannot find one at an AD - they are not in stock. I will most likely buy a piece of equipment that costs over $1000 USD without ever having touched one. I've even perused EBay and used a Craigslist "bot" to try to find one. I've also turned to the net in an attempt to find one, but know better than to go to Leisurepro.com, especially in light of the posted warnings on the Scubapro site. I was interested, yet cautious when I found one through a European distributor who states, all over their website that they are an "Authorized Dealer" for many companies.
There was an interesting thread started on this Forum that "MadDane" had to send his back to Spain to get Warranty service. I read the back and forth and became confused as to what "reality" was when it came to their statements about being an "Authorized Dealer" and the subsequent service. Personally, I have found that Warranty work, with other companies, in all sorts of fields, often is fraught with difficulty - to the point where it doesn't matter to me if there is "free" service. Often I have found that I'm better off just paying for whatever service can be had than trying to get it under the cover of a supposed warranty. Hence, I often seek the best price up front, as I recognize that I will be paying for the company to service my equipment eventually anyway.
So I contacted the manufacturer, who has an excellent customer service department, to try to find out what they were actually stating - not what some "net rumor" was. I then reported this in an attempt to clarify the entire situation.

YOU crossed the line when YOU, on a public forum, questioned/ doubted what my conversations were with the Scubapro rep, whom I even gave a direct name to.
I was just reporting the facts of a conversation. Nothing more, nothing less.

This is raising my blood pressure, and decreasing my bottom time.
Time to go buy a Galileo Sol from somewhere, anywhere.
You are officially off my list of someone who I would ever want to "buddy" with when underwater.

YOU crossed the line when YOU, on a public forum, questioned/ doubted what my conversations were with the Scubapro rep, whom I even gave a direct name to.
I was just reporting the facts of a conversation. Nothing more, nothing less.

I have every right to question anything you post, especially when I find something that contradicts what you have posted. I am not making it personal, this is not a personal attack. This board is an open exchange of ideas. It is my right to post anything I like so long as it is within the rules of the board. Had I come out and called you a liar or personally attacked you I would expect your comments but you've gone over the top.

I too posted facts. While you don't like my wording, it was never meant to offend you or cause your "blood pressure to rise". I apologize if you misinterpited my words as an attack on you or your posts.

You are officially off my list of someone who I would ever want to "buddy" with when underwater.

See the difference between posting facts and a personal attack? I could care less who you buddy with and it doesn't hurt my fellings that we have different view points on a topic.

I would hope this thread doesn't disintegrate into personal attacks, it's an interesting discussion about what SP has to say about warranty issues involving on-line purchases from scubastore.com. I put "say" in italics because regardless of what anyone from SP has to say over the phone or in an email, the harsh reality is that SP is only bound (by 'bound' I mean whatever SP chooses to do, or if you want to push hard enough, what a court orders them to do) by their written warranty that was in effect at the time of purchase, in the country that the purchase originated in.

This is just my guess, but it would appear that scubastore.com is a unique case and SP is dealing with them in a unique way. I have no personal experience with SP's customer service because none of the SP products in our household have crapped-out and needed warranty work (knock on wood or kudos to SP, whichever you choose). It's unfortunate, and in my opinion wrong, that the method SP appears to have chosen to deal with scubastore.com's unauthorized internet sales has a harsh negative effect on the consumer. Some in this thread have criticized the OP for buying from scubastore.com and either implied or explicitly said that he should have to send it back to Spain and deserves whatever else he got since he saved so much money (in essence, getting something for nothing) compared to a local purchase. Well, I'm not really sure when being a savvy consumer became a negative quality worthy of being chastised for. As a consumer, here's what we know about scubastore.com; They are an authorized SP dealer. SP currently lists them as one. They do internet sales of SP products. SP only warrants products from authorized dealers. Scubastore.com's prices even with shipping, duties etc., is cheaper than most, if not all, U.S. LDSs's (not necessarily the $500-$700 difference I've seen posted here. From what I found, it was more like $200). Well as a savvy consumer, why wouldn't you buy from the cheaper authorized dealer? As far as you know, everything is good-to-go in terms of the warranty being in effect. It doesn't seem like an unreasonable leap-of-faith to believe that if scubastore.com was doing anything illegal or against SP's dealer agreement, that SP would've pulled their dealer license (which does beg the question of why hasn't SP pulled their license?) So here we are. As far as I know, just a bunch of average consumers caught in the middle of a dispute between SP and scubastore.com. So why are we fighting amongst each other? Disagreeing, cool! That's often how issues get resolved and ideas made a reality. But name calling and bickering?!?!

I would hope this thread doesn't disintegrate into personal attacks, it's an interesting discussion about what SP has to say about warranty issues involving on-line purchases from scubastore.com. I put "say" in italics because regardless of what anyone from SP has to say over the phone or in an email, the harsh reality is that SP is only bound (by 'bound' I mean whatever SP chooses to do, or if you want to push hard enough, what a court orders them to do) by their written warranty that was in effect at the time of purchase, in the country that the purchase originated in.

This is just my guess, but it would appear that scubastore.com is a unique case and SP is dealing with them in a unique way. I have no personal experience with SP's customer service because none of the SP products in our household have crapped-out and needed warranty work (knock on wood or kudos to SP, whichever you choose). It's unfortunate, and in my opinion wrong, that the method SP appears to have chosen to deal with scubastore.com's unauthorized internet sales has a harsh negative effect on the consumer. Some in this thread have criticized the OP for buying from scubastore.com and either implied or explicitly said that he should have to send it back to Spain and deserves whatever else he got since he saved so much money (in essence, getting something for nothing) compared to a local purchase. Well, I'm not really sure when being a savvy consumer became a negative quality worthy of being chastised for. As a consumer, here's what we know about scubastore.com; They are an authorized SP dealer. SP currently lists them as one. They do internet sales of SP products. SP only warrants products from authorized dealers. Scubastore.com's prices even with shipping, duties etc., is cheaper than most, if not all, U.S. LDSs's (not necessarily the $500-$700 difference I've seen posted here. From what I found, it was more like $200). Well as a savvy consumer, why wouldn't you buy from the cheaper authorized dealer? As far as you know, everything is good-to-go in terms of the warranty being in effect. It doesn't seem like an unreasonable leap-of-faith to believe that if scubastore.com was doing anything illegal or against SP's dealer agreement, that SP would've pulled their dealer license (which does beg the question of why hasn't SP pulled their license?) So here we are. As far as I know, just a bunch of average consumers caught in the middle of a dispute between SP and scubastore.com. So why are we fighting amongst each other? Disagreeing, cool! That's often how issues get resolved and ideas made a reality. But name calling and bickering?!?!

Good question as to why they have not pulled license. The answer is obviously due to the high volume of SP products Scubastore.com sells. SP publically sounds off against them to placate their other retailers with no real immplications for the internet operation...

Good question as to why they have not pulled license. The answer is obviously due to the high volume of SP products Scubastore.com sells. SP publically sounds off against them to placate their other retailers with no real immplications for the internet operation...

Don't believe that is the case. Remember that price fixing (what we have in the US) is allowed by US law. That is not the case in other countries. SCUBAPRO can inforce the rules they have here, only because the laws allow them to.

If a country has rules that prevent SCUBAPRO from using any minimum pricing.. or prevents them from telling the retailer how they can sell the product.. then SCUBAPRO has the choice of either not selling to that country, or trying to come up with some complex set of rules that protect their dealers in areas where they can do that (the USA, for example).

I believe, what they have done is about the best they can do...but the real issue is US laws that allow them to set pricing and selling rules.

The bottom line is that Scubapro US does not allow online sales, Scubapro EU does. This is where Scubastore violated the agreement by shipping a product bought online from the US to the US.

Schott

The bottom line is that Scubapro US does not allow online sales, Scubapro EU does. This is where Scubastore violated the agreement by shipping a product bought online from the US to the US.

Schott

They seemed to have carved out a nice exception for LP. Not trying to direct the conversation in that direction but had to add...

Don't believe that is the case. Remember that price fixing (what we have in the US) is allowed by US law. That is not the case in other countries. SCUBAPRO can inforce the rules they have here, only because the laws allow them to.

If a country has rules that prevent SCUBAPRO from using any minimum pricing.. or prevents them from telling the retailer how they can sell the product.. then SCUBAPRO has the choice of either not selling to that country, or trying to come up with some complex set of rules that protect their dealers in areas where they can do that (the USA, for example).

I believe, what they have done is about the best they can do...but the real issue is US laws that allow them to set pricing and selling rules.

Personally I am glad we have the scubastore.com option. More options the better I say. If a small volume dealer in Europe was commiting the same contract infration it is my guess they would be shut down quickly. Like anything else $$$ makes business organizations look the other way...

They seemed to have carved out a nice exception for LP. Not trying to direct the conversation in that direction but had to add...

I don't follow you on this one. Are you saying the the warranty is valid from LP? Or are you meaning that the rules are preventing LP from the same thing scubastore.com is doing?

I know LP has some "hidden" connection to some manufactures, its not debatable that they sell far too much of certain mfg. products to not have a source to get it.

It is true that if your store does enough volume in sales any company would be willing to bend the rules so they don't lose you as a dealer, not just Scubapro / scubastore.com, but in general.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom