Galileo Sol Warranty **BEWARE**

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great update, thank you.

Yet another update in an attempt to clarify this whole issue.

I just got off the phone with Gabriel Gilman at Scubapro. He was extremely pleasant and happy to answer all of my questions.

Here are the FACTS:

If you purchase any Scubapro/ Uwatec product ANYWHERE in the world from an Authorized Dealer, you can obtain warranty service ANYWHERE in the world. It does NOT matter if the item was purchased while you were on a trip to USA, EU, or Asia - you CAN obtain warranty service in the USA, EU, Asia.

HOWEVER!!! He specifically used scubastore.com in Spain as his example (I didn't even ask about them). Apparently scubastore.com in Spain has "violated the terms of an agreement with Scubapro and Scubapro/ Uwatec items purchased from them MUST be returned to Scubapro in Europe for Factory Warranty work."

If that does not clear this issue up, I don't know what will.
Thank you. That's clear enough.

I just got off the phone with Gabriel Gilman at Scubapro. He was extremely pleasant and happy to answer all of my questions.

Here are the FACTS:

If you purchase any Scubapro/ Uwatec product ANYWHERE in the world from an Authorized Dealer, you can obtain warranty service ANYWHERE in the world. It does NOT matter if the item was purchased while you were on a trip to USA, EU, or Asia - you CAN obtain warranty service in the USA, EU, Asia.

HOWEVER!!! He specifically used scubastore.com in Spain as his example (I didn't even ask about them). Apparently scubastore.com in Spain has "violated the terms of an agreement with Scubapro and Scubapro/ Uwatec items purchased from them MUST be returned to Scubapro in Europe for Factory Warranty work."

Good work. Thank you! I hate to bring this subject up but how does this figure for Leisure Pro purchases?

You used US snail mail to ship a parcel? A camel is a horse bulit by the US Federal Goverment.

I personally would never send any item of value via USPS Mail to another country. The key reason is once the package leaves the US it changes hads to what ever country postal systems it goes through.

On average, an international package takes 10 to 15 business days to get to its destination unless you send it Express or Air.

I always opt for a carrier like Fedex or UPS that offers insurance, delivery tracking, and signature confirmation. While the response from them appears to be relaxed, Scubapro can't really be blamed if the package has not arrived yet.

I understand the frustration with their response but maybe it was taken out of context? As in they were trying to give you a status update that packages had arrived and they would let you know if yours was received after they checked them all in?

I'm just trying to the "big picture".

Sorry I could not resist but as splash says UPS should be used exclusively for pacels, overseas or not. I really hope all works out well for you as I really enjoy my Galileo as I am sure you do. Given the opportunity I would use your source for the computer and reap the savings even with your current diffuculties in mind as warranty issues are quite rare for quality products such as SP....

I was going to use UPS or FedEx but Scubastore.com told me to send it US Postal Service. Anyhoo.. here is the response I received today...

Hola Claus,
Package from you arrived. Product will be send to the supplier today. Once receiving news from them we will contact you. :confused:

Good work. Thank you! I hate to bring this subject up but how does this figure for Leisure Pro purchases?

I found another thread here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...88061-scubapro-warranty-overseas-dealers.html

The offical reply from SP as quoted by the OP is if the item was bought and then shipped by an European dealer then the warranty is void but if you had flown to Europe and purchased it and flown back it would be valid.

I wonder if Scubapro has made an exception for this one European dealer and thats why the items have to get mailed in.

I wonder if Scubapro has made an exception for this one European dealer and thats why the items have to get mailed in.
According to rkburton's conversation with SP, this would appear to be exactly what occurred. This is my guess, but at far as I know the EU prohibits companies from forbidding on-line sales of their products. Since, technically, they can't forbid scubastore.com from selling on-line, SP "punishes" them by forcing any oversees on-line sales made by them that have a warranty issue, to be returned to Europe, or possibly even just Spain, for repair. This is just my guess.

Here are the FACTS:

There are two conflicting versions, one where a person bought the computer while traveling abroad and another where you purchased it direct from scubastore.com

The reply rkburton got implies, to me, that the purchaser was traveling abroad and when in to a LDS and bought the item in question. His warranty is valid.

It also imples to me that if the person walked in to DiveInn (scubastore.com) there would be a warranty but only a mail-in one.

What is still a grey area to me is the shipping of SP items from Europe to the US by DiveInn. From the reply in the other thread, there would be NO warranty (mail in or not) if the item was shipped from Europe to the US.

Follow where I'm going? While it appears the warranty will be covered for TheMadDane this may not be the case in every situation.

While rkburton may have taken the wording out of context or even word for word there is no implication that they are refering to orders shipped from scubastore.com to the US.

SP does have good customer service and it wouldn't surprise me if their offical answer is "NO, we do not honnor the warranty on items purchased online from Europe and shipped to the US" but in the background still do warranty repairs on items purchased from scubastore.com to keep people happy.

Excuse me? NOTHING was taken "out of context" and nothing in what Scubapro stated has "no implication".

What part of the direct quotation from a Scubapro Customer Service representitive do you not understand?
I asked them about purchasing from an AD anywhere in the world. The answer was as above with the SPECIFIC additional statement by the Scubapro rep that scubastore.com is an AD for Scubapro BUT items purchased via scubastore.com must be returned to Scubapro EU for Factory Warranty.
I did not bring scubastore.com into the conversation - the customer service rep did.

There was no conversation about using DiveInn's brick and mortar location. To use what seems to be your favorite word - the "implication" is that if purchased from DiveInn's physical location (and therefore subject to VAT, etc) you should therefore be able to access Scubapro's worldwide warranty.

This really isn't very difficult to understand. They DO honor all warranties in all locations IF PURCHASED FROM AN AUTHORIZED DEALER - not off ebay/ craigslist/ from some guy on a dive boat!
But, if you want to save ~$500+ and buy from scubastore.com, you will have to send it back to Spain to get Factory Warranty Service through Scubapro EU.

Last edited:
Spash-X is correct in that the other thread, which isn't old, quotes a Scubapro rep contradicting your conversation with Gabriel Gilman.

I'm inclined to take Gilman's word since he is the most recent source, he specifically mentions the vendor in question, and you wisely got a name... but it looks like Scubapro doesn't have their story straight.

(This isn't the first time I have seen a big company handing out conflicting information. Try to call Dish Network satellite service and get the same answer twice on their confusing programming pricing models. On the Dish forum people talk about playing Customer Service Rep Roulette all the time. Don't like the answer? Call back.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom