Galileo Sol Warranty **BEWARE**

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is becoming more obvious to me by the moment is that many LDS operators don't understand the most basic concepts of marketing.

Don't they realize that when you bring your gear in for servicing you are supporting them? It's also an opportunity for them to earn your future business. I hate to say it but businesses run that badly deserve to fail.

Hmm, having the LDS spend $50 to send in your Galileo Sol to Europe for you because you bought it online to save money or making you send it to them yourself.... that seems like a no brainer.

How does the OPs LDS get any support from him by the LDS paying to send it to Scubapro Europe?

Had this been any item the LDS could service, say his regulator, then sure. The OP taking it in means he would pay for the labor and get free parts. That is supporting the LDS.

Why should a brick and mortar store pickup the cost for performing service on items that were purchased from an online store?
Scubapro picks-up the tab for warranty work, not the LDS. The difference to the consumer is turn-around time and shipping costs. This is punishing the consumer for simply being a savvy consumer. Scubapro Europe is not separate from Scubapro USA in any meaningful way to the consumer. Both are wholly owned by Johnson Outdoors. They're simply set-up as different units of the same company in different country's for reasons that are to long for me to want to type for this thread.

It doesn't matter if the seperation is "meaningful" to the consumer or not. It exists. If you don't agree with it either don't buy their products or purchase them from a LDS that is an authorized dealer.

What more would you suggest that SP do for the OP aside from not having him had paid for the shipping?

By and large most of "the majors" have policies that make it difficult for me to do business with them over and beyond the 'you gotta buy it here" policies. Customer support and parts supply policies generally make it less than desirable for me to do business with them.

Back in the dark ages before the lawyers got involved on a remote dive trip I could carry all parts and tools necessary to maintain 5 sets of gear in the field in a quart sized pelican box. With the current rules each set has to be backed up by ANOTHER complete set, thus running my cost of ownership for their gear WAY up, and requiring much larger and heavier :banghead: luggage. Given a choice I'll buy (or build) what I can maintain in the field.

Given the total confusion about this issue, I decided to ask Scubapro to clarify the issue.

Posted At: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 11:03 AM
Posted To: Ask Scubapro
Conversation: After-Sales Product Support
Subject: After-Sales Product Support

I am having considerable confusion about your Warranty service on the Galileo Sol.
If I purchase my computer from a Scubapro/ Uwatec Authorized Dealer while on a trip in the EU or Asia, yet live in USA, am I able to receive Factory Warranty Coverage and Service in the USA?

This is the answer I received:
Dear Diver,

Thank you for choosing SCUBAPRO UWATEC equipment.
If you purchased these from an authorized SCUBAPRO dealer then, the warranty for the area you purchased the equipment from is covered world wide.

Gabriel Gilman
SCUBAPRO
SCUBAPRO UWATEC | Deep Down You Want The Best - SCUBAPRO-UWATEC
800-GO-SCUBA

Wow, I have never received an answer from the after-sales support form.

Dear Diver,

Thank you for choosing SCUBAPRO UWATEC equipment.
If you purchased these from an authorized SCUBAPRO dealer then, the warranty for the area you purchased the equipment from is covered world wide.

Gabriel Gilman
SCUBAPRO
SCUBAPRO UWATEC | Deep Down You Want The Best - SCUBAPRO-UWATEC
800-GO-SCUBA

I beleive this is what most of us have been saying, the region in which your purchased your equipment determines what warranty coverage you get.

The OP saved $600 - $700 purchasing the unit where he did. Given this fact the $50 shipping cost should not be an issue as it seems to be...

Valhalla,

I think the issue the OP has was that the online store in which his wife purchased the computer (as a gift) from possibly did not fully disclose that the warranty she had inquiried about was only valid if you mailed in the unit to Scubapro Europe.

This could have been a misunderstanding between the purchaser and the store, it could have been misinformation from Scubapro to the shop or it could have been a communication issue between the OP and Scubapro when arranging warranty service. It could simply be a case of the terms of the warranty for service on the SOL where it was purchased, I personally don't know.

In the end, from the info OP posted, I don't think he is too upset that he had to send it to Europe for service but more that he wanted to let everyone know of the issue he is having getting warranty work done. The shop offered up an instore credit for their website to the OP if I remember right, not sure if they did do it or not.

I in no way speak for the OP but I felt I could easily sum up where we are at so far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom