Galileo Sol Warranty **BEWARE**

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We bought the factory battery "kit", so that we could have the O-ring and the lube. But, I doubt we'll do it again. We're going for the less expensive option next time. Scubapro says that there battery will about 3-5 years/300 dives. And short of using the compass, backlight, and playing with the computer a lot, I think that might be pretty accurate.

Received this Email tonight...:lotsalove:

Hello Claus,
unfortunately we didn't receive the Galileo from our supplier for you. But to safe time we will send one from our stock directly to you into the same box you received. If you check you will see that the serial number will be different.
Tracking number of the parcel is 95 2580 5505 you can follow the shipmetn through the DHL web site at DHL | Global

Wonder if it has anything to do with this post... Hmmm:confused:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...lyzers/298860-new-computer-mares-icon-hd.html

Regardless.. (Notice I did NOT say Ir-regardless) which is NOT a word, I am and will be very happy to get my Sol back and in the water. Would I do it again?

You bet! Because I didn't do it, my wife did, she thought she was getting me the best darned diving CPU for her VERY hard earned money. She is great at shopping for discounts, she just had no idea about Scuba Dope warranties.

Will I buy Scuba Dope Products again? NOT ON YOUR, Errr, I mean, NOT ON MY LIFE!!

Lesson Learned for me and I hope for others as well, that was, apart from all the side tracking here, the REAL reason I posted this.

Thanks for all of the input, output, opinions and feedback.

I'll let you all know if I have a problem with the signal on the new Sol.

Regards,

Claus:lotsalove::rofl3::eyebrow:

P.S.
Looks like Scubatoys.com has the Mares Icon HD for US $1200.00!
As far as I can tell this CPU has ALL the functions of the Galileo Sol in color and for much less money. FWIW.

Ooops spoke too soon, no air integration. I'll bet it's not much more than the Sol when it comes out though.

P.S.
Looks like Scubatoys.com has the Mares Icon HD for US $1200.00!
As far as I can tell this CPU has ALL the functions of the Galileo Sol in color and for much less money. FWIW.

$1200.00 Damn, I don't think I have ever done a dive where all of my gear, totaled, cost that much.

Received this Email tonight...:lotsalove:

Hello Claus,
unfortunately we didn't receive the Galileo from our supplier for you. But to safe time we will send one from our stock directly to you into the same box you received. If you check you will see that the serial number will be different.
Tracking number of the parcel is 95 2580 5505 you can follow the shipmetn through the DHL web site at DHL | Global

Wonder if it has anything to do with this post... Hmmm:confused:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...lyzers/298860-new-computer-mares-icon-hd.html

Regardless.. (Notice I did NOT say Ir-regardless) which is NOT a word, I am and will be very happy to get my Sol back and in the water. Would I do it again?

You bet! Because I didn't do it, my wife did, she thought she was getting me the best darned diving CPU for her VERY hard earned money. She is great at shopping for discounts, she just had no idea about Scuba Dope warranties.

Will I buy Scuba Dope Products again? NOT ON YOUR, Errr, I mean, NOT ON MY LIFE!!

Lesson Learned for me and I hope for others as well, that was, apart from all the side tracking here, the REAL reason I posted this.

Thanks for all of the input, output, opinions and feedback.

I'll let you all know if I have a problem with the signal on the new Sol.

Regards,

Claus:lotsalove::rofl3::eyebrow:

Funny thing about all this is that having had computer issues with a smart tec.. the average repair time was right at one month...5 different times over the years..so sending it back to Spain, might not actually take any longer...

Is there any indication that the Mares will have air integration at any time?

Splash X,
It will in the first part of 2010, with... and I quote, "At cost"
upgrade to air integration, if bought before air integration is released".

$1200.00 Damn, I don't think I have ever done a dive where all of my gear, totaled, cost that much.

AWAP,
You know it's all relative... If someone makes 10 times what I, or you make, then a $1000.00 computer to us is $100.00 to them.

Funny thing about all this is that having had computer issues with a smart tec.. the average repair time was right at one month...5 different times over the years..so sending it back to Spain, might not actually take any longer...

LOL good point Puffer Fish! :D I just hope it doesn't fail on me again, 'cause for what my wife paid for the Sol, I could get the new Mares in (Color) with Air, (I Think) or close with a US warranty.

The Mares does look pretty darn tasty. If I didn't have a Sol already I would certainly take a much closer look. But it would have to do something pretty amazing to make me want to switch.

The Sol shows me all of the information I need in a really legible format. The AI works well and I even get the heart rate and buddy air monitoring, which is fun though not critical. I don't do any deco diving period, so any such features on the Sol or Mares are useless to me. As are the "helpful" features like the big number that tells you when to turn around... The way I plan dives, I never need that calculation.

I bought the Sol to address my concerns with my Suunto D6--teeny screen, poor legibility, can't leave the backlight on at night, can't replace the battery myself. It does a great job at all that. Its ability to store images is kind of neat, but not terribly easy to use and the lack of color is a pretty big downer there. The Mares could possibly be a big improvement in that area.

A dive computer is such a simple thing in some ways, particularly if you do not need deco functions. Even a gadget lover like me may have a hard time moving from one expensive computer to another as a real revolution in operation seems unlikely.

But having another option on the market can only be good news, so I wish Mares the best and I hope this computer kicks ass.

I have a bit of the "I want" envy coming on. I would love to see the thing in person but unless it can do anything amazing that my Sol doesn't it would be a tough purchase.

I would have to test one out on a dive to see how good it works before I commit to it.

I just hope it doesn't fail on me again, 'cause for what my wife paid for the Sol, I could get the new Mares in (Color) with Air, (I Think) or close with a US warranty.

Um, yes you can.........call me next time :wink:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom