Galileo Sol Warranty **BEWARE**

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I paid $1215.00 (US) + local sales tax (w/ transmitter). That's 10% off MSRP, which is apparently the most Scubapro will allow their retailers to discount on the unit currently. If you're buying in the US, and the price is cheaper, then they may not be authorized retailers. Since Scubapro is apparently serious about only supporting products that are purchased under their controls, I would check with them before you buy, if you're unsure.

The Scubapro website has a product registration tool that requests the price paid, and also looks-up serial numbers. When I registered my computer and transmitter, it showed the name of the LDS the unit was shipped to, so they're definately keeping track.

Have you guys had any other problems with yours? Most of what I've read has been to do with sync issues (similar to part of this thread), but not much else?
With well over a 100 dives on her Galileo, she's had no problems with the main unit (knock-on-wood). As far as losing signal from her transmitter or getting erroneous readings from it?! Not really. The only time she loses signal on a transmitter is when her idiot buddy wanders too far away and she loses the "buddy pressure" reading. But she has also learned to use the loss of her buddy's signal as a sort of "electronic leash." My only other piece of advice is one you probably already know. Make sure you carry spare batteries for both the main unit and the transmitter. Although, my wife has had the same battery in her Sol for quite a while and quite a few dives and it is still reading "full."

The pop-out church key is a great feature too!
If you could put a church key under the Luna in a way that made it look like it's a standard feature and pulled it out on someone, that would be priceless. I know if I were on the boat (or shore, dock, or wherever) and saw that, the question of whether or not I pee in my wetsuit would be answered right then and there.:rofl3:

I paid $1215.00 (US) + local sales tax (w/ transmitter). That's 10% off MSRP

Where did you pay that? I've seen two local dive shops that the Sol for nearly $1,980. Criminal. Regardless, I'm happy with the Gekko. For $1,900+ I'd get the Liquivision instead. I'd pay $1,200, though. I'm about to pay less that for a Suunto Hel02.

Where did you pay that? I've seen two local dive shops that the Sol for nearly $1,980. Criminal. Regardless, I'm happy with the Gekko. For $1,900+ I'd get the Liquivision instead. I'd pay $1,200, though. I'm about to pay less that for a Suunto Hel02.

As Valhalla said, the price is for the Galilleo LUNA not the SOL. Different model. Has a few less features like the heart rate monitor and the multi-bottle tracking. Both features can be added on as software upgrades to the Luna for an additional fee after the purchase.

With well over a 100 dives on her Galileo, she's had no problems with the main unit (knock-on-wood). As far as losing signal from her transmitter or getting erroneous readings from it?! Not really. The only time she loses signal on a transmitter is when her idiot buddy wanders too far away and she loses the "buddy pressure" reading. But she has also learned to use the loss of her buddy's signal as a sort of "electronic leash." My only other piece of advice is one you probably already know. Make sure you carry spare batteries for both the main unit and the transmitter. Although, my wife has had the same battery in her Sol for quite a while and quite a few dives and it is still reading "full."

If you could put a church key under the Luna in a way that made it look like it's a standard feature and pulled it out on someone, that would be priceless. I know if I were on the boat (or shore, dock, or wherever) and saw that, the question of whether or not I pee in my wetsuit would be answered right then and there.:rofl3:

I just passed 50 dives with mine (got it in April)...regarding the transmitter, just make sure it is on the same side you wear the computer, make sure your tank is high on your back (watch the head issue). If I hold my hands around my waist, I will get a loss of signal alarm...other than than, not a problem.

Have heard that the buttoms can get sticky if not rinsed well.. so I always do a fresh water rinse as soon as possible after diving.

You can get that silly main battery off the internet for around $8.00, but would not worry about it until the battery starts to show it is lower (which has not happened so far). I understand if you don't use the compass much, it should be good for hundreds of dives.. but use the compass (battery sucker) and the life is greatly reduced.

I actually used the compass on my Sol the other day instead of my Suunto. It actually worked pretty well!

You can get that silly main battery off the internet for around $8.00, but would not worry about it until the battery starts to show it is lower (which has not happened so far). I understand if you don't use the compass much, it should be good for hundreds of dives.. but use the compass (battery sucker) and the life is greatly reduced.
If you have a back-up PDC or you're close to home, or a place that carries the battery, waiting to buy one probably won't hurt to bad if something goes wrong with the battery. But, spending the few extra bucks for a battery that has a few year shelf life to help keep you diving with the Sol if you're in a place that you can't get another battery and you need it, is probably worth it.

Don't forget about the backlight (# of times used and length of time it's set to stay on) as a battery eater.

If you have a back-up PDC or you're close to home, or a place that carries the battery, waiting to buy one probably won't hurt to bad if something goes wrong with the battery. But, spending the few extra bucks for a battery that has a few year shelf life to help keep you diving with the Sol if you're in a place that you can't get another battery and you need it, is probably worth it.

Don't forget about the backlight (# of times used and length of time it's set to stay on) as a battery eater.

You are correct on that, if you dive a lot, having a backup is just good planning. But if you only make 30 dives a year (as an example).. the battery should be good for several years..

And yea, I have a backup battery (two actually.. one in the freezer, one I carry with me). That is such an odd battery, do not expect anyone to have one... and the scubapro price is silly for it.

The computer battery is definately an odd-ball; I don't recall ever having seen one before getting my Galileo. While I welcome UWATEC's move to user-replacable batteries, hopefully the lack of easy access to replacements won't be an issue. I'm guessing they designed around that particlar battery for voltage vs footprint issues? My LDS sells the computer battery for $20 a pop, and the transmitter battery for $16 (whenever they actually have them in stock). I just got them at my local BatteriesPlus for $8.00 and $3.00 respectively.

Thanks for your comments Putter Fish! I'll definately rinse it more often. I had some similar "sticking" issues with my IQ800. A good soak in some warm soapy water always seems to do the trick. Thankfully, I haven't experienced any signal loss issues. However, I did initially have a problem getting the transmitter to pair with the computer. After a day of jackin' with it, I ended up initializing the factory settings again, and then BINGO; seems fine ever since.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom