Galileo Sol, Luna Microbubble settings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Motojack

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am trying to gain a more in depth understanding of my Luna's Mb settings beyond the manuals simplistic "more conservative settings" explanation. On the surface it appears these settings both shorten bottom time and utilize deep/intermediate stop methodology to add conservatism. so:

1) Can anyone shed additional light on the levels of conservatism subject for me?
2) What Mb setting do you use & why?
3) Am I missing out on smarter technology by simply diving with the Mb0 setting & using common sense to stay within the NDL limits (just as I would use dive tables)?

Thanks for any comments - Jack

Mb0 is just the standard calculation without the extra compartment that modulate the conservatism. MB1 to MB5 will use breathing rate, temperature, heart rate and decrease bottom time according to the computer algorithm. There no way to tell exactly from the consumer point of view, how each level will affect your dive. I usually dive Mb0 or mb1.

Because the increased conservatism settings add deeper stops, I do not use them. I just use the standard algorithm without any adjustments.

I am trying to gain a more in depth understanding of my Luna's Mb settings beyond the manuals simplistic "more conservative settings" explanation. On the surface it appears these settings both shorten bottom time and utilize deep/intermediate stop methodology to add conservatism. so:

1) Can anyone shed additional light on the levels of conservatism subject for me?
2) What Mb setting do you use & why?
3) Am I missing out on smarter technology by simply diving with the Mb0 setting & using common sense to stay within the NDL limits (just as I would use dive tables)?

The reason you can't find much is because there really isn't a lot of information (for anybody including the manufacturers).

The primary purpose of the "conservatism" setting is to let you offgas as safely as possible. (Un?)fortunatey, the vast majority of dives produce no DCS or recognizable symptoms, so being "more conservative" would seem to offer no value.

On the other hand, there is always the chance that you might get bent on any particular dive, and picking a "more conservative" setting is should reduce this risk.

Sorry about the non-answer, but for most divers there is no hard answer.

I've never heard of anybody who followed the plan on a Galileo getting bent (doesn't mean it doesn't happen, just that I haven't heard of it), so I would assume that if you're in good health that the normal setting would be fine, however there are no guarantees.

flots

I've settled to using MB level 2. If I remember from the manual the MB levels above 0 introduce Level Stops which function like Deco Stops but are optional. I guess you could call them extra safety stops, but they may occur at other depths like deco stops.

If you violate a Level Stop the computer shifts down one MB level down but does not penalize you.

My experience diving with a Vyper and Galileo Sol in Cozumel was that on repetitive dives the Sol is more liberal than the Suunto but on the first dive it was the other way around. With MB 2 I was getting Level Stops before others were going into deco so I spent more time decompressing. With MB 1 it behaved similar to what others were diving in general.

Personally I prefer more conservative because I'm older and I believe it does decrease your chances of DCS. Also there was a study that found lesions on MRI in spinal cord of divers who did not suffer DCS so it's possible there is subclinical damage that could add up over the years, like the brain damage of professional boxers and football players.

My Oceanic DC got flooded and died during my last trip in February. Now got a new Galileo Luna as a replacement and has been trying to learn and set-up this new DC. Have also struggled to understand the MB Level parameter. From reading articles on the Internet, it seems that MB L0 (Micro Bubble Level 0) is bare Buhlmann algorithm. And, that Buhlmann algorithm does not account for micro bubbles and does not have a deep stop (correct me if I'm wrong). However, the old Oceanic do have deep stop and so does the DCs that most of the other dive buddies are using. So, have now set it to MB L1. Hatul's post above says the MB L1 is comparable to what others are diving. Will appreciate insights from other Luna users.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom