Galileo Sol backlight Brightness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zesty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have read many reviews of this computer, and my LDS owner dives it exclusively. Based on this type of research and feedback, I have purchased the computer and overall, am satisfied with its operation.
However, when I was in some extremely murky water last week (0 - 3 ft vis), I had a very difficult time reading the data, even with the backlight on. I understand the need to conserve batteries, but I don't like not having
the ability to "turn it up" when I determine I need to. I have a buddy who is diving a Mares HD Icon and he can make that thing a headlight if necessary. I know his is rechargeable, but I am curious if there is a internal adjustment
that can be made, or if I have missed something in the manual?

Would love to have a good conversation with ScubaPro on this ..............

It would be nice if the backlight could be turned up, but I don't think you can right now and I'm not sure this can be done by firmware. My experience is that the backlight is only useful in night dives where there is little ambient light and then I use it in push on push off mode. Also at night I use the "light" display to keep the display simple.

One way around it is to put a small light on a Goodman handle on opposite wrist to the computer and use that to light up the display. It's just a matter of time before OLED displays come to recreational computers and these will become moot.

By the way the Icon HD has its own issues.

Yes, correct. You cannot alter the brightness of the backlighting; only adjust the timing for how long its on (6 sec default +/_ or on/off). You might try changing the screen contrast for those low light conditions as others have found it helps in unique ambient light environments. I have found consistantly that the issue is solved by diving in warm, tropical waters ...

we'll see - I'm headed to the Turks in a couple of weeks! For us Great Lakes Divers, warm and tropical do not enter into our everyday vocabulary! Thanks for the responses!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom