Galileo PMG Users

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jh_MacLeod

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi Galileo Users,

I've been diving a Luna for the last year (@120 dives), so I've become somewhat comfortable with its single-gas algorithms and microbubble levels. Although I do pre-plan all recreational dives (even familiar dive sites), I have also been known to alter a basic dive plan on-the-fly if it seems safe and appropriate. For example, I might typically start a familiar dive with L3, but cascade toward L0 and deco if conditions and air supply allow for safe extensions of dive times at shallow depths.

For the new season I plan on adding the PMG option (purchased but not installed yet) and taking the IANTD Nitrox course. I thought I would just throw the subject out there and see what you experienced Galileo divers had to say about PMG: how it functions (I've read the manual), how you personally use it, what you like and dislike about it, how it compares to VPlanner; in general, whatever info you think might be useful to use its functions effectively.

Thanks,
John

Hi Galileo Users,

...see what you experienced Galileo divers had to say about PMG: how it functions (I've read the manual), how you personally use it, what you like and dislike about it, how it compares to VPlanner; in general, whatever info you think might be useful to use its functions effectively.

Bump the thread so it doesn't fade into oblivion with no responses.
Seems like lots of people are happy to complain about Uwatec not releasing the promised trimix upgrade, but no one uses (or is willing to talk about their experiences with) the nitrox abilities it does have :idk:

Can you explain to me its use? The way I understand it is that PMG lets you use more than one Nitrox blend on a dive. So just like other mixed gases, multiple tanks and definitely pre-planned. I would guess that most tech divers doing this are using different gas types, not just Nitrox - so the SOL/LUNA is not going to cut it for this.

Don't get me wrong I'm not arguing against it, just curious and have a SOL myself.

I dive nitrox and could see the benefit of starting a dive on 32 and finishing on 40. Which just leads to more questions on twins vs doubles vs side mount vs sling :cyborg::fear::daydreaming:

Can you explain to me its use? The way I understand it is that PMG lets you use more than one Nitrox blend on a dive. So just like other mixed gases, multiple tanks and definitely pre-planned.
Don't get me wrong I'm not arguing against it, just curious and have a SOL myself.

So, you have a SOL but don't use the PMG feature when you dive Nitrox? Or you just use your SOL in guage mode? Seems like a waste of computing power to me; like one guy I know who is constantly raving about how great his new X1 is, but on anything beyond short and shallow recreational dives, he only uses it as a colorful guage.

I only installed the PMG firmware last night, but as I understand the manual, this feature simply extends the concept of the "multilevel" dive to three gas blends. Sure you have to plan your gas blends and change-over depths; but, if you trust the algorithms, you can use the computer to estimate "on-the-fly" nitrogen and oxygen loading and thereby maximize the time you can spend at each depth. :idk: Afterall, it still tracks microbubble level as well as L0 simultaneously. Once you reach a tank-switch depth, you confirm that you have switched (or not) and it continues to track your N2 and O2, with and without the microbubble level of safety.

This is why I was asking for those who had actually used the feature to comment on "how" they use it. Otherwise, we're just diving nitrox with 3 square profiles, right? I was hoping in particular to learn, from the experience of others, how well I can expect the algorithm to track with the dive planners (like Vplanner), and under what conditions I can expect it to deviate.

So, you have a SOL but don't use the PMG feature when you dive Nitrox? Or you just use your SOL in guage mode? Seems like a waste of computing power to me; like one guy I know who is constantly raving about how great his new X1 is, but on anything beyond short and shallow recreational dives, he only uses it as a colorful guage.

First off, learn some manners.

Second, I don't have to use every feature of a device I purchase. I guess by that logic I must also use buddy monitoring too. I do use the HR monitor which is also on this model and only an upgrade on the LUNA.

Third, It is a well established idea that you buy more computer than you currently need but in which you think you will grow into at a later time. Or I guess I could just pay out more money later to upgrade - or replace it. I don't think so!

Fourth, I was offered this computer by SP at a steep discount to replace another computer that was no longer serviceable. They did not say, "or would you like the lesser model the LUNA"!

Fifth, I don't have to dive PMG with Nitrox - or don't you understand that most divers using Nitrox don't use but one gas?

Sixth, I have unsubscribed to this thread and will ignore you from this day foreword. See #1 again!:mooner::dork2::angrymob::bash::lam::reaper::voodoo::whack::landmine::biggun:

if you are getting the PMG just for nitrox diving you don't need it. the luna works fine for nitrox. the pmg is to work with the diffrent deco mixes and is said to work with 3 total transmitters plus a buddy to total 4. something tells me if you are just now taking nitrox, deco mixes are not an issue yet. so the pmg is kind of over kill for a nitrox class if you ask me. now i want to use the luna for rec trimix (if and when the trimix software comes out) i don't need the pmg as there is no deco for rec trimix, but it is required to load the pmg for the trimix upgrade.

if you are getting the PMG just for nitrox diving you don't need it. the luna works fine for nitrox. the pmg is to work with the diffrent deco mixes and is said to work with 3 total transmitters plus a buddy to total 4. something tells me if you are just now taking nitrox, deco mixes are not an issue yet. so the pmg is kind of over kill for a nitrox class if you ask me. now i want to use the luna for rec trimix (if and when the trimix software comes out) i don't need the pmg as there is no deco for rec trimix, but it is required to load the pmg for the trimix upgrade.

Yeah, I understand that you can dive the same nitrox mix, with one or more tanks, without PMG. But, I think the feature may be useful to me because I will be able to use a richer mix in a slung 40. I got the PMG upgrade primarily so that I would be able to load the trimix algorithm later, if it ever happens. But I'm a computer guy, and naturally curious, so I enjoy playing with these toys, overkill or not. And as I said, the main thing that interests me is the on-the fly algorithms. But I guess no one actually uses the feature, so I'll figure out the answers experimentally for myself. At least I got a good lesson in "how to be polite" :).

Ok so I use the PMG when doing deeper dives usually with twin tanks and for accelerated decompression schedules. I may switch to a 50% mix at 21m thereby cutting back the amount of deco I have to do (accelerated decompression) in the shallower depths. Or I could switch to 100% Oxygen ay 6m or carry both and switch to both along the way at the appropriate depths especially in a cave. If I just have nitrox in my back gas then as the other poster said there is not need for PMG unless you are adding in a deco tank with a richer mix. of course all this depend son haivng enough gas to do the dive and the deco. Usually requires at least twin tanks. To get full use of your PMG you need to do something like the pADI Tec 45 course or Advanced Nitrox, i.e Tec diving. For Trimix dives we simply put the Luna in to guage mode. It is excellent then with a stopwatch, large size numbers and a digital compass..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom