Galileo Luna or Liquivision Lynx?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All,

I'm new to diving, I'm looking for an AI computer and after a lot of searching and reading I narrowed down my choices to Galileo Luna or Liquivision Lynx, both computers look similar (feature-wise) but each one has disadvantages and advantages over the other.

Did anyone use both computers and can recommend one over the other?

Thanks in advance.

I have not. From postings by those who have, I've noticed the Lynx is thought by some to have poor battery life, which would mean frequently opening & closing the battery case. Not something I'd want to do. LiquiVision is coming out with a new computer, the Omnix, which looked to me like a significant advance over the Lynx.

Richard.

I dive a Luna and really like it. Amazing battery life--100 dives and counting, and an easy user-changeable battery. Runs a standard algorithm (Buhlman Z-8). The big display is very legible in all but the darkest conditions, especially in "big number" mode. Can be upgraded to multi gas nitrox and even trimix if you want. Crappy strap, but the case is easily adaptable for bungee mounting. The air integration works very well, no problems at all.

Have heard lots of issues with the Lynx especially battery life.

If you want a liquivision, wait a bit for the Omnix as Richard suggests. This might be an improvement over the Lynx, but we will see.

If you need a computer right now, and cannot wait, I would go with the Luna. If you can get by with your computer for a few months, wait to see if you like the Omnix.

You cannot download logs from your luna to a PC right now if you have a modern computer with Windows 10. Scubapro says they are working on it, but if they've released a fix I missed it. I'm assuming that scubapro is just dropping the capability to connect and manage their dive computers from windows devices. 10 has been out nearly 6 months at this point, and was in beta for nearly a year prior to that. All they had to do was hire a C programmer for a month to write a driver.

There's a little bit of a pattern developing. Scubapro did a hardware revision that rendered their computers incapable of taking some of the software upgrades they claim to offer for luna. That's also been the case for quite some time.

If you care about downloading dive data or configuring your dive computer from a windows machine, skip scubapro. If you care about the software upgrades for technical stuff, skip scubapro. At least, for now.

I also use a Galileo and it's still hard to beat if you want AI.

Another issue is that Liquivision has a lazy and weak implementation of Air Time. While Galileo's Remaining Bottom Time includes a safe ascent including all the stops, Liquivision does not. Thus when your Air Time in Liquivision goes to zero at depth you're out of air (beyond a reserve). With Galileo you can (in theory at least) make a safe ascent.

You cannot download logs from your luna to a PC right now if you have a modern computer with Windows 10. Scubapro says they are working on it, but if they've released a fix I missed it. I'm assuming that scubapro is just dropping the capability to connect and manage their dive computers from windows devices. 10 has been out nearly 6 months at this point, and was in beta for nearly a year prior to that. All they had to do was hire a C programmer for a month to write a driver.

That is not true. All they have to do is get Microsoft to "trust" the digital signature on their driver. There is a world of difference.

That is not true. All they have to do is get Microsoft to "trust" the digital signature on their driver. There is a world of difference.

So the ball is in Microsoft's court? I've just ordered a Luna and thought I could download the data to my PC- but my PC is Windows 10.

Hi Hatul

I did not realize the Liquivision AI had no prediction for gas use during ascent. This is a huge and dangerous omission. Definitely skipping LV if they continue this on the new model. The scubapro AI is great and I can verify that it does consistently begin my ascent with predictive gas use during ascent that gets me to the surface with my set reserve.

So the ball is in Microsoft's court? I've just ordered a Luna and thought I could download the data to my PC- but my PC is Windows 10.

It's For Your Own Good(tm): this way those evil hacker viruses can't get on to your computer. Unless their authors paid mickeysoft for the privilege. Apple's no different by the way.

Edit: part of the problem is that infrared was all the rage in 1990, you could even beam your appointments from your Palm to your five fingers, but at this point you're looking at the technology that's been dead for over a decade. Can't really blame Microsoft for being very uninterested in supporting dead tech with very small customer base.

Runs a standard algorithm (Buhlman Z-8).

Uwatec's proprietary ZH-L8 ADT MB decompression algorithm is hardly a "standard" algorithm. This is not like diving Buhlman ZHL-16C with GF. the Lynx runs the latter, but with only 3 preset GF sets, 100/100, 30/85, and 30/75, I would not choose any of these and would want full control of GF lo and hi choice

Back
Top Bottom