Fyi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I feel very sad for her. Those last conscious moments must have been terrifying.

It's a tragedy in part because it most likely did not need to happen.

I want to chime in my agreement that one can learn not to panic. There are things that once caused me to nearly panic that now just make me giggle. What scares me underwater is what I do not know. And by 'know', I mean know instinctively, not just in my head. Know in my muscle memory.

So, I think that even if you get 'training' in a book or a class or a dive or two, and you don't continue to practice certain skills on every dive, you will not have them at your command when something goes wrong.

Stop. Think. Act. That's all good, but not if you don't practice it by putting yourself into controlled situations that push your buttons at least a little bit, which most divers do not do. I think it teaches you not only specific skills, like working with your mask off, but also generally a sense of calm and time to deal with things. It's amazing how little time it takes to deal with most problems when you think about it first.

TJ, sure there are people who can't learn not to panic. But there are alot of people who can, and don't. That's the training issue.

Margaret

PhotoTJ once bubbled...
Mike and I agree!:confused:

Mike, you're right on the money, we all need to learn from this tragic accident. I remembered my OW class in Monterey CA, my instructor taught us kelp diving, how to break the kelp, stay calm, stop, breathe, think then act. Although those skills are not in the training manual, he took the liberty to train us. I am forever grateful since I've been tangled in the kelp forest many times. I later on past those knowledge to students, emphasize staying calm during entanglement. You are right on, we need to teach kelp diving while conducting OW class in area where kelp abound; eventhough the OW manuel does not mention it.

However, as PhotoTJ said, some people just can't be taught. At five feet under, she can release herself from the BCD, release the weight belt(teach in OW class) and swim to the surface. She did not stay calm and think about the skill learn in OW class. Sad for her, what a waste at 5 ft of water. Wish I was there, she would have been alive....

Jepuskar, I understand your frustration. Hang in there. Remember your first year at elementary school, you have come a long way since. So as your girlfriend, she need time and patience to learn OW(BASIC) scuba skills before she can advance and improve. Lucky you to have a girlfriend learning to dive. And please continue your DMC, we need more DM who put safety first. You will be alright.

Dive Safe.

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom