FYI: 2005 Diver Saftey Day - June 18th @ Madison Aquatic Park (Rock Divers).

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
Diver Saftey Day 2005
----------------------

Just a note to Divers in this area, June 18th will be the annual "Diver Saftey Day" at the Madison Aquatic Park(quarry) in north Alabama. This event is sponsored by DAN (Diver Alert Network), Rock Divers, and several other local dive shops in the area. I'm not associated with the sponsors or people running the event, but just wanted to let divers in the area know about it since I haven't seen them post anything yet.

Hopefully Rock Divers will put something up on their website for the 2005 event, but they haven't yet. If you want an idea though of what the day might be like, check out their page for the 2004 event here: http://www.rockdivers.com/Second Annual Diver Saftey Day-June 26 2004.html

For the best information, contact Rock Divers at the contact info at
http://www.rockdivers.com/

However, this is what I think is some of the information about it:
Tickets are around $20-$30 bucks, which includes admisssion for diving that day and perhaps lunch. Part of that fee gets dontated to DAN.

Get there early as apparantly ticket sales line don't move very efficiently I was told.... You can also pre-purchase tickets before the event from participating local dive shops. The first "X" number of people there get a Diver Saftey Day free T-shirt. (I think X=100 people, but not sure). This is an all day event starting at 8am or 9am.... There will be lots of door prices from equipment manufacturers and local dive shops in the form of products and gift certificates.

They are staying open late that night also, so you can stay for a night dive with this admission also. "Quarry side" parking will most likely be "limited" for those arriving late. The local onsite dive shop does rent gear and tanks and has a compressor, but with the large crowd there, you might want to plan accordingly about making reservations for gear, etc. or bring enough tanks for the day as to not have to get refills. (Note, the compressor is topside the quarry which requires you to drive up there, thus loosing your quarryside parking space). I'd also bring a cooler of drinks and snacks just in case.

Hope all this is helpfull. When Rock Divers posts a page for 2005, I'll try to put it up here.

-Mike

FYI 'bump'.

This is next weekend.

from their website:
Water temp 71 F degrees on surface and 64 F degrees on bottom, (as of 05/21//2005, temp log) and Visibility is 30 feet plus!

Nice, wish I could be there.

Would be really tempted to go to that, but have a nasty ear infection and doubt it will b e completely cleared up by then. Will have to play it by "ear" :eyebrow:

The SEAS club will have a table set up there with club information. I'll be manning the booth for an hour or so Saturday morning.
Luke

ScubaLuke:
The SEAS club will have a table set up there with club information. I'll be manning the booth for an hour or so Saturday morning.
Luke

SEAS is also doing club memberships at "half price" at this event
and also has some raffle or door prized I think (but not 100% sure).

Also, as I said in the earlier post, get there early to avoid the lines
for ticket purchase and to get a "good parking spot" quarry-side
for diving.

Rock Divers also has a web page up for it now
http://www.rockdivers.com/Third_Annual_Diver_Saftey_Day-June_18_2005.html
(but the price on the page is $30 bucks and they advertised $25, so
not sure what the "real" price will be once you get there.)

I also suggest you download the liability release form off the
Rock DIvers website. This will speed up your
registration process if you have it filled out before hand.

SDI's website on the event:
http://www.sdiscuba.com/safety_day.htm

Have fun all.

I am visiting Huntsville on business for the next couple of weeks. I have all my dive gear and will be needing a buddy on Father's day, 19 June. I plan on being at the Madison, AL. quarry around 10:00.

If any of the fine divers in Huntsville needs a buddy, then PM me. Looking forward to meeting you! I am from the Scuba Board Wreck Valley group.

BILLB:
I am visiting Huntsville on business for the next couple of weeks. I have all my dive gear and will be needing a buddy on Father's day, 19 June. I plan on being at the Madison, AL. quarry around 10:00.

If any of the fine divers in Huntsville needs a buddy, then PM me. Looking forward to meeting you! I am from the Scuba Board Wreck Valley group.

I'd post a new thread to the Deep Dixie Divers forum for it.

Even if you don't get an answer, there will be people out there diving on Sunday.
You shouldn't have any trouble pairing up with someone. Most people there are very friendly and will take a "single" diver as a third buddy.

I acutally thought about going out there this sunday to dive, but I think
that fathers day & family activities are going to suck up most of that day.

Took the plunge and went diving on Saturday 18, June. Nice people and had a good time. Even won a prize! If any of the Deep Dixie divers are in the Philly area, drop me a PM. I can also show you a good day of diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom