Regular quarry diver found dead - Falling Rock Park, Kentucky

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It appears so from a FB page for the same name and city: Dennis Price

Well damn. He was a good dude. I don’t know who his buddy was that day, but when I dove with them, they would always go off on their own. That bothered me, so I hadn’t dove with him in a long time. We would come up to look for them and of course you couldn’t see bubbles.

I know they liked to play tricks too. I won’t get into that.

He did have a homemade rebreather BUT it was a modified one. One of them had a dolphin? I remember him showing me his setup. I don’t know much about rebreathers but I did know he had multiple sensors and some of them made audible noises if o2 was low, etc.

Just speculation, but they probably went down together, got away from each other, and then something happened.

Dennis used to be part owner of airheads scuba and taught technical diving.

The only true homemade device they had was a bailout rebreather made of pvc pipe.

J

We do not know the dive plan. It is quite possible that the plan was to enter as a pair, if that was quarry policy, and then to dive solo. So we do not know if the buddy actually did anything other than agreeing to the plan of the deceased.

In the very worst case, even if you go about your dive solo you'd get out of the water at the end and wonder where he is and then begin calling for a search at that point. It seems like several hours passed before another group came upon the victim's body, and the news story makes no mention of a search and rescue operation being initiated by a call from the buddy.

The thing about rebreathers, they're good for at least "several hours".

The thing about rebreathers, they're good for at least "several hours".
Thank you. I'm gathering that as I read some of the posts, and realize that my original post may have been out of line, especially if the plan was to enter the water together and just go solo after that.

Well... going on a solo dive without a set duration or defined "check-in" at the end may be a questionable plan and one could blame all involved for agreeing to it. But if that was the case, we can't blame the buddy for sticking to the plan.

That unit in the earlier picture.... I have the same unit, only mine is a tad bit older. I bought it used from eBay after thinking they seemed pretty cool and of a really streamlined design. Prior owner of the one I bought used it to escape the country of Dubai after they were holding him hostage. Kind of cool, nice enough eBay seller.

It is a Castoro C96 Pro from O.M.G. in Italy. It's, as sold, an o2 only unit. It's pretty simple to use if you follow the instruction manual. There is no ppo2 monitor, because it's not needed. 21fsw puts you at 1.6, so ox tox is a concern. 19ft sounds about the right place to be with it.

The one in the picture has a diluent addition port added on the right side and a Shearwater with fischer connector for monitoring ppo2. If that is his unit, it's definitely been converted from an o2 only unit to a full mCCR. I have seen pics of this done in the past.

Hey mate I've done some fixing for you

That unit in the earlier picture from post 6 I don't have the same unit

It is not a Castoro C96 Pro from O.M.G. in Italy, sold, an o2 only unit.

And it hasn't definitely been converted from an o2 only unit to mCCR.

full.jpg

as I built the post 6 unit as a mechanical closed circuit rebreather with constant mass flow

in my laundry dude

And peace to you Dennis Price

Quite wary of the whole idea really. And certainly due to the recent number of fatalities on ReBreather ( be aware they may not all be due to a kit failure) most nations in WW2 used marine commandos for laying limpet mines and submarine attack cos they left no bubble trail.....but even then they were suspect. K

Hey mate I've done some fixing for you
View attachment 543027
as I built the post 6 unit as a mechanical closed circuit rebreather with constant mass flow
in my laundry dude
And peace to you Dennis Price

Oh my what is that mess. Indeed, I apologize, that is in no way a C96. ;-)

Nah mate it's actually ugly inside but at a $1000 minus electronics it's also beautiful

Now the Italian chest mounts especially the Pirellis really are gorgeous works of art

And peace to your family Dennis Price

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom