Future Wifes' BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Today I spent my tax return money and purchased scuba equipment. I know I did it way to quickly as I haven't even completed my OW dives yet. My main concern is comfort. I was very uncomfortable in the rental gear for the class and I absolutely hated using a separate weight belt, so I felt that I might do better if I had my own equipment. I tried on several woman's style bcd's but I ended up purchasing a man's xs Mares Frontier Expedition. I am petite, 5'4' and small framed. I found that the cumberbunds on the ladies styles were way too high and felt like they were squeezing my diaphram (sp?).

I also purchased the Dacor Viper regs so I was pleased to read from scubababe that it was easy to breathe (I found that I had to struggle getting breath in with the rentals).

I guess I will see if I made good choices next weekend at my OW dives. Luckily my LDS will exchange any of my purchases if I do not like them.

Margaret

I hope you are happy with your equipment, however, if you are not happy with your BC, be sure and try out a Zeagle Zena, it was designed by women for women and can be adjusted to fit almost any body shape. Have fun with your new hobby...

Finally!

After two weeks of schedule conflicts "my future" and I went to a few LDS's to begin looking for a BC for both of us. Here's what we both decided, although this is a women's only site I will just share her information:

What she tried on:

Zeagle - concept, escape, ranger
(results) - since her shoulders are wide, the straps hit her wrong on all models and she did not like positioning.

Scubapro - Ladyhawk - Same results, didn't like the fit.

Seaquest - Diva LX (sm) - liked everything about it, although we were a little cautious on "velcro pockets", she liked the fit, straps, everything.

WE PURCHASED IT. She's the proud owner of her first bc - SEAQUEST DIVA LX.

thanks everyone.

waterdogs.

One thing you might consider no matter what regulator you choose is what kind of mouthpiece you put on it. Mine originally had the hard black rubber mouthpieces and that was extremely uncomfortable to me. I bought a silicone mouthpiece and it was much more comfortable. You can also get mouthpieces that are "custom fit" for you and I hear those are wonderful.
Ber :bunny:

I tried different styles when in open water class. I'm small and found the jacket styles too restricting. Even looked into the "women's styles". I found a back boyancy worked best for me. Seemed to keep me better balanced. I tried out several different types, either in a pool or rental. I bought a Zeagle Ranger because it was most adjustable to fit me.

I completed my training with a Zeagle Ranger and it was just too much BC for me. I did lots of research and was set on a women's BC with the Diva being my top choice. The shop I did my course with doesn't recommend women's BC's and feels they are too limiting if you want to advance or try more challenging diving. I really wanted it and so I tried one out for a couple pool sessions. I ended up buying a Zeagle Scout. I had some really rough and challenging conditions for my check out dives and came home absolutely loving my Scout! The back floatation is so comfortable and the Scout has weight pockets in the back as well for even distribution. Also, most Zealge models can be customized for women if they don't well as is. Several women I've talked to who are using this or similar back floatation BC's say they prefer them to the women's models. Since everyone is different, encourage your wife to try out a few BC's before buying one.

As for regs & ladies, I have heard a lot of local girls embracing the "Micra" (sorry; don't remember the manufacturer.) because they say it is light & small for smaller mouths (although smaller mouthpieces can be added to any reg.) I liked an older model of US Divers reg that otherwise had uncomfortable large side vents that cut into my cheeks during a dive. I saw another friend using what I think was called an Omega which was very small & had no single correct orientation, making "buddy breathing" simple. I now have a lower end Aqualung which is so-so & I prefer my husband's Sherwood.

I have the Dacor Fury adjustable for my primary, but I think you are referring to the Vyper side-vent I have as a back-up.

I have been happy with the Vyper, and have purposely breathed from it at 92 feet to see if it worked well and did.

My husband also has the side vented Vyper for his backup and often switches to it when he want to look under a ledge while he is head down. In this position, you have to be careful about water getting in to your reg.

I love my Dacor Fury adjustable as a primary.

I tried on both womens and mens BC's, and I prefered the Men's. But everybody is comfortable in something different, so it's hard to judge which one she will prefer....... :)

Kayla:)

I like the Oceanic model Isla. I'm 5' tall, and it seems to be proportioned better than others for short-waisted gals.
Fits *much* better than any of the others I've tried, has more padding, and is more comfortable to wear for multiple dives.

I haven't purchased it yet - still renting, because I want to try out all the other ladies' models available first to make sure I don't find anything I like better. But I do ask for this one every time from our LDS. :)

Back
Top Bottom