Future Wifes' BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waterdogs,

I started out with a back-inflate BCD and continue to dive it. Don't limit yourself or your future wife with things like "because we are new divers we shouldn't buy this" kinds of thinking. Try the BC's on, get in the water with them if at all possible, try try try and don't exlude something until you have tried it. You never know, you just might end up with back-inflate BC's. I love mine and can't imagine diving with anything else.

Thanks Rick and ladydiver, I did go onto seaquest site and found those LDS in charlotte as well, thanks.

Your right about the future, she may adapt. I just thought that it would probably take a little more skill adapting to the back inflaction than a standard jacket style. Our first pool session i will see if the instructor will let her try both.

thanks,

waterdogs

Waterdogs, in answer to your original question, Mares makes at least two women's BCs -- the Dragonfly Lady Airtrim and the Vector Ambra. I don't know anyone who uses them, but you can get more details from the Mares Web site.

To add to your confusion, some companies are making hybrid BCs that combine features from jacket-style and back-inflation BCs. SeaQuest's Diva LX is one example, and I think Mares' Dragonfly BCs are cut the same way. As I understand it, the air cell wraps around to the front, as it does in a traditional jacket-style BC, but it also expands away from you at the back, as it would in a back-inflation BC.

Zept

Thanks Zept and everyone for their insight. Went today to take a look at a few before we go saturday and sunday. Looked at the Seaquest Diva's QD and XL as well as the Zeagle Ranger and Scubapro ladyhawk.

This will give her a good choice to choose from. Now, since i've looked at her bc' choices, next question? What do the ladies prefer out there when it comes to REGS?

Any REG comments out there.

thanks,

waterdogs'

I can't think of any gender issues with regulators, although I guess there may be some. I've yet to see a pink regulator.

Have you two been in the water yet? Your wife-to-be might have a better idea what she wants in a BC when she's tried one in the pool. Diving in a BC that fits badly can be helpful -- at least you know what to avoid! I bought my BC after using two different rental ones, one that I liked and one that I hated. Although I cursed and muttered when I was using the second one, it was a useful experience.

I know people have said this already, but there's a lot of personal preference involved in choosing a BC. My buddy and I are very similar in our diving abilities (we are both female), but we disagree about practically everything when it comes to BCs.

Good luck,

Zept

We get in the water Sunday, so i figure she can try the schools rental, then we can try a few on at their dive shop, then I've found another LDS that carries Seaquest so i figured we could try some on over there, then after a week, try the one's she liked the best on again, then after our second pool session, possibly go purchase.

As far as regulators, i didn't know if the ladies preferred a lighter weight 2nd stage, our DM Instructor was telling us about the Dacor Vipor but i haven't seen to many good comments on here about them. I've seen everyone's comments on the Apeks and thought maybe that's the way to go. Just wanted some ladies opinions on regs to get an idea, because we are reliing on our DM and our research.

So far, for what i've seen if she likes the comfort, feel, etc, with all the comments out there I like the Seaquest LX with Apeks t100 regs. Lets' see what she picks.

thanks,

waterdogs

Originally posted by waterdogs
We get in the water Sunday, so i figure she can try the schools rental, then we can try a few on at their dive shop, then I've found another LDS that carries Seaquest so i figured we could try some on over there, then after a week, try the one's she liked the best on again, then after our second pool session, possibly go purchase.
Awright Waterdogs, you have a plan... but listen to the wisdom of age. Tell her your plan, then finish it up with "but it's *your* BC, honey, so we'll do it any way you like."
Also, don't be surprised at her criteria for selection - it may not be yours.
At our LDS's last "tent sale" a lady came in and tried a Diva on over her clothes. She never got in the water with it or even hooked it to a tank - she refused to take the BC off until her husband had bought it. He tried to tell her she should get it wet, to check out the finer points of balance, lift and trim... she told him those would all be fine, she knew what she wanted. To their credit they went through this sorting out process in good humor, and the husband knew when to quit offering suggestions and advice.
Rick

I have both the Seaquest Diva LX and Dacor Viper regs.

I love the fit, comfort and adjustment of the Diva BCD. I like the pocket positioning (especially the cumberbund safety sausage pocket). I also like the position of the cumberbund. I did find the back inflation and wing design strange at first. But having used it for both an advanced course and rescue diver course in the past month, that I have learnt to compensate for it. One thing I like about the design is that I can sit my tank higher without it hitting the back of my head. Don't ask me why ... it just doesn't.

I absolutely love my Dacor Viper regs. They breathe so easily that it is like they are pumping the air into your lungs! They are very comfortable both to breathe with and in the mouth. They are so finely tuned that I have had them hit on the water surface and free flow, but they have never freeflowed whilst I have been using them (in my mouth). I have even had them in a current that was too strong for me to swim across, let alone against, and they didn't free flow then.

If I was repurchasing my equipment I would buy the Seaquest Diva LX but go for the Dacor Viper TEC regs.

Having said that equipment is such a personal preference thing! Have fun shopping.

Thanks folks,

Rick, your right, SHE get's the final say on this because it will be her's to live with for awhile. The only problem i see is that we won't be able to have them in the water to try. One LDS said he would hook it up with tank, but NO H20.

I don't think many places will allow us to do that anyway.

Well, some good comments on the Dacor Vipor! Still can't go blind to all, I mean all, the good comments on the Scubapro's or Apeks. I don't know a whole lot on regs, my future significant other know's nada, so we are leaving it up to this board and further research and discussions with our DM.

Again, thanks for all the comments, Ill respond again on Sunday after our class and after she tries her BCS'.

waterdogs.

Back
Top Bottom