Future Wifes' BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterdogs

Reaction score
Just wanted to get some opinions from the ladies out there on womens' BC's. Question:

1. Are "womens" BC's the way to go, or do most prefer standard?

She's going to try a few on next week, Extremelle, Extremelle AT (Dacor), so she will ultimately make the choice, but our LDS only carries Dacor, Sea Elite. They do carry Mares, but I don't think a womens' Mares fit.

Does Mares make a womens BC?

Just trying to get an idea, we will try traditional and womens, but if she prefers the womens cut i would like to have more advice and choices than just Dacor?

thanks,

Future Husband - Waterdog

The Lovely Young Kat, my bride, positively loves her Diva QD. The general concensus among the ladies around our shop is that the Diva is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
However... the Diva is the ladies' BC that was first available in our shop, and has been extremely popular since its introduction. Since then there have been several new ones manufactured, and buying the kind your local shop warrants and services has merit.
Now, all that said, here's my advice... with the possible exception of something from Victoria's Secret, never make any apparel selection for your bride. Tell her you want to buy her a BC and let her decide which one. When she has decided, love it.
Rick(experienced in these matters)

Thanks Rick, Alway's let the lady choose, no doubt. Who makes the DIVA and where can you get it. My LDS only carries Dacor and Mares, Sea Elite.

thanks,

waterdogs

Waterdogs,

It's a matter of preference (bells & whistles) and fit. And price too sometimes. Your wife may prefer the fit of a Ladies BC because she has the body type that those BCs were made for. Or, she may fit better in a non-ladies BC. I had to get the Genesis Athena by default b/c hardly any other BCs I tried would fit my frame. So make sure she tries as many on as possible and have the LDS inflate and over-inflate it to test for squeezing.

Check out the other threads regarding ladies BC as well. here's one: http://www.scubaboard.com/t5013/s.html

BTW - the Diva is made by Seaquest.

Good luck and happy shopping!

Sandy

Whether a woman's BC will fit her depends on her body shape. I wear a Zeagle Concept designed for men. I am long waisted and pear shaped. The Zeagle sizing system let you use different sizes for the shoulders and waist. One of the common problems with fitting a woman is getting the shoulders to fit properly so that they aren't up around her ears when floating on the surface...which is true for anyone. And the waist length. Luckily, there are quite a few BC's designed for women and/or adaptable to womens shapes.

As has been mentioned, the only sure fire way is to have her personally try on as many styles and brands as she can, regardless of whether they are for men or women.

Probably not one of my best titles but we will spend next sunday trying on a variety of BC's to see what see likes and how they fit, again, we are really limited to what we can try on since our LDS only carries a few brands, and sizes.

I will also go to another LDS which is semiclose for additional options, i think they carry Scubapro brands.

Aren't most of the SeaQuest back inflated? We are beginners and i didn't think it would be something she should use at this stage of our training and experience. We only plan to dive about 15-20 dives a year, recreational, carribean diving, just fun. No tech, deco, nothing sporty until down the road. If we continue our training and dive more, than we could alway's upgrade our equipment.

Being that we are newbies, shouldn't we go with something jacket style and not back inflacted?

thanks,

waterdogs

Are all the Diva's jacket style, i thought i read that the xl version which alot of the ladies like or wish they should have probably bought (more pocket room) is back inflated?

what about the advice on back inflated, we shouldn't attempt to have that style with our experience, right stone.

waterdogs

Originally posted by waterdogs
Are all the Diva's jacket style, i thought i read that the xl version which alot of the ladies like or wish they should have probably bought (more pocket room) is back inflated?

what about the advice on back inflated, we shouldn't attempt to have that style with our experience, right stone.

waterdogs
The Divas are jacket style - Seaquest has a new ladies' BC called the "Libra" that features back inflation. As for back inflation and your experience level, that's a little touchy. I personally don't generally recommend back inflation for new divers because many find them uncomfortable on the surface - but - some adapt immediately and love 'em. Get in the pool and try them out. It would be especially useful to do so with someone who dives back-inflation and can show you the ways to easily gain and maintain stability on the surface so she can make a "fully informed" choice.
Looks like there are a couple shops in your area...

OPEN WATER ADVENTURES
12100 US HIGHWAY 29
CHARLOTTE, NC 28262
704-547-5991
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MATTHEWS WATER SPORTS
11120 MONROE ROAD, SUITE C
MATTHEWS, NC 28105
704-847-8998
704-847-8998
http://www.matthewswatersports.com

Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom