BP/W Harness Advice for Ten Year old Girl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was my fear, that she would struggle during class and not enjoy it. I'm hoping she loves a single tank BP/W setup as much as I do!

The biggest challenge and turnoff for kids with regards to a BP/W is the time necessary to get things setup. They need to stand there and try it on, you make adjustments, they try it on again, you make another adjustment...then typically they need to put a wetsuit on and try the rig on again, and once more some fine adjustments need to be made.

While you may be really into getting things set up right with the intent that a well fitting rig will help ensure the dive experience goes well, the reality is that all the trying on and what not really sucks and is a chore for the child.

Save yourself the hassle and get an adjustable harness for her. Since you are purchasing a Sub-Gravity short plate (excellent choice by the way...my wife and eldest daughter have Sub-G short plates), perhaps take a look at their Paragon harness...I would give them a call and see if they can substitute a 1-inch or 1.5-inch adjustable/side release crotch strap for the 2-inch they include in the kit, or just keep the 2-inch and purchase a DGX or Dive Rite adjustable/side release crotch strap, they are relatively inexpensive.

-Z

our niece was certified @ 12 in the typical shop jacket bcd, and normal recreational reg setup. We bought her a DGX steel plate and wing for her first post cert dive, and set her up with a "streamlined open water" hose arrangement. (bungeed octo 22", 40" primary with 110° swivel, under the right arm) She loved the bp/w, and was happy having the octo close at hand all the time. It was an easy transition, and the fit is perfect. We dive cold up here, so a good 7mm is the minimum. She likes carrying less lead with the steel plate.

It's way easier to fit kids with BP, then a bcd,
The old blow molded plastic ones work very well, main issue is a wing.

I have my son in a Small Halcyon plate with an 18lb wing and an adjustable harness. I'm going to try and switch him to a one piece harness for simplicity. YMMV.

It's way easier to fit kids with BP, then a bcd,
The old blow molded plastic ones work very well, main issue is a wing.
When I introduced my daughters to scuba (in a backyard swimming pool), when they were about eight years old, they used a Luxfer Al 63 strapped to a blow-molded plastic backpack, a simple webbing harness (no crotch strap), and a single-hose regulator (Scubapro Mk 10 + D400) with B&G SPG, no octopus, no BC, no integrated weights, and no wetsuit. And no weightbelt--because weighting took care of itself given their tiny bodies.

They had been taking swimming lessons for several years by then and were already very comfortable in the water. I introduced them to skindiving skills (e.g., surface dives, ear clearing, mask recovery and clearing, etc.) a couple of summers before introducing them to scuba.

Of course, they didn't do any "real" diving with this configuration. However, they were introduced to the basics, from assembling and testing their scuba, to regulator recovery, to buddy breathing, to surface entries, to U/W doffing and donning, to cleaning their scuba, etc., using this configuration. By all accounts, they had a blast! For a couple of summers!

FWIW,

rx7diver

Of course, they didn't do any "real" diving with this configuration. However, they were introduced to the basics, from assembling and testing their scuba, to regulator recovery, to buddy breathing, to surface entries, to U/W doffing and donning, to cleaning their scuba, etc., using this configuration. By all accounts, they had a blast! For a couple of summers!

I bought the PADI Seal Team materials online (workbook, DVD, stickers etc), and worked through that with my daughter in the pool starting when she was 8. I think it is such a good way to introduce them to Scuba. She loved it, and is really looking forward to her Junior Open Water class next weekend. Up until now in the pool she has been using an old XS Dacor BC which worked well, along with a 50cuft tank. I think once she has gear that fits her properly (the tank and BC flopped around a lot and weren't stable underwater), she will enjoy it so much more and be a lot more comfortable.

Side note I bought the small mouthpiece from DGX for $5 and put it on her regulator and she said it is a lot more comfortable than the standard size one.

My 12 YO girl did her confined dives using the shops smallest BC, which was much too large and made the entire experience challenging. I put her in my XR BP/W for additional pool training before her OW dives and she loves it. This also required me to get a new Transpac for myself, sacrifices, I know.

She will be able to use this setup for the rest of her life if she wants. The overall weight of the system and reduced lead she has to carry are other big benefits.

I highly recommend getting a BP/W for kids.
Here she is today. We spent about 2 hours in the pool practicing skills. She was using a AL60 and I need to set the straps lower on the tank to move more weight higher. She only used 3lbs of lead and might not have needed that much.

Attachments

• IMG_20230611_201421.jpg
    IMG_20230611_201421.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 71
Here she is today. We spent about 2 hours in the pool practicing skills. She was using a AL60 and I need to set the straps lower on the tank to move more weight higher. She only used 3lbs of lead and might not have needed that much.

That is so cool! She looks really comfortable in her gear.

So my daughter just did her first dive in the pool with her BP/W and a basic harness and she loved it!! It was her longest dive yet at 36 minutes and when I thumbed the dive she wanted to stay down longer! Her trim was a thousand times improved over the BC and she seemed a lot more comfortable in the water. I think she could probably do with a couple of pounds maybe in a trim weight pouch, as she was a little floaty with minimal air in the wing. Also I needed to move the tank lower as she kept banging her head on the valve. Although with hindsight I haven't put a crotch strap on the rig yet so that would probably help keep it lower.

I also moved her SPG to her left shoulder D ring as she had trouble seeing it on her hip.

The basic harness worked really well with her frame. She wears a thin full length wetsuit so the straps sat nicely on her shoulders and around her arms. Getting in and out was easy compared to the old BC, and she kept saying how she noticed all the differences. I had her tighten her waist strap at one point but no other adjustments needed.

We did the Environment Seal Team mission, so she did a U shaped search, cleaned up a bunch of coke cans I spread around the pool, and then sent them all up with a lift bag!! Then we finished the dive off with some torpedo throwing, and an egg and spoon race using golf balls (great for working on buoyancy!).

I love being a diving dad!!!

Practicing blowing air into soda cans and letting them fly is a good "game" too. It teaches her comfort in reg removal and replace and she can SEE the effects of air expansion as the filled can vents air on the way up. Once she masters that game, then practice without a mask on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom