Future-proof gear for newcomer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kizzmansky

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi folks. My dream recently came true and I got myself underwater. I'm planning to go to few dedicated diving trips next year and since I'm gonna be diving a lot in a nearby future I've decided to buy my own gear. My budget allows to go pretty hi-end but I wanna be as smart about it as possible. I'm really looking forward to learning more and going deeper and doing some caves and wrecks in the next year or two. So I need some help future-proofing my investment so I can use it for a while without expensive upgrades or replacements.

1) would it be a good idea to get a modular harness like Hollis instead of BCD right away so it can be used for tec and upgraded in years to come?

2) Computer. Is it a good idea to get a top trimix enabled wireless computer right away? I would rather pay a bit more now then drop another few grand in a year or so. Or is trimix is way out of regular person's reach?

3) Regulator. Does it make sense to look for something with nitrox above 40% or better get a comfortable one? Is it really needed to have it above 40? Can regular 40% nitrox regulator be used for introductory tec and trimix?

Thanks!

I suggest a BP/W right away. If you later go backmount, the only piece you'll replace is the wing. If you go sidemount, you only wasted $300-$400 but it's not really wasted since you'll want a single tank rig for recreational diving anyways.

Skip the Air Integrated / wireless computer and go for a Hollis DG03 for $250 + $20 for bungee mount. You can use it as a bottom timer down the road and is far cheaper then "another few grand".

Go for a Hog single tank package with long house and bungee. This will take you far and you can add to it down the road for back mount doubles, side mount, deco bottole.

BP/W right away is what I am looking at. Weird. I talked to few local divers and read tons of stuff on the Web and never heard of Hog. I'd it good? So far my choice was between scuba pro/aqualung/atomic with atomic being nicest to use but quite pricey. I locals showed me few computers, I really liked Suunto d series. Any comments on those?

Make sure you can use your computer in gauge mode.
Get a bottomtimer.
Go BP/W
Get a drysuit...

BUT... most of all... don't rush! Go Dive! A lot of it. Get a good feel for the water. Work on bouyancy and trim. Work on basic skills.
Find a good instructor, and a good mentor.

There really is no way to completely futureproof your gear; gear may change a little, but your diving may change a lot. BP/W is a good place to start, certainly avoid a jacket, but that's no guarantee that you're not going to want to go sidemount in a couple if years or something. The Shearwater Petrel is highly regarded; I have one and like it a lot, and there's lots of room to grow. Regs, well, lots of good options; that's one place I don't see overspending. One of issues is that you'll need DIN regs for wreck/cave, but often tanks with DIN valves aren't available on rental tanks. There are converters but they're bulky. You'll need a pair of regs for tech diving anyway, and most have many more, so I just have one yoke reg I keep for going on resort boat dives with rental tanks.

Have fun! Buying gear is just part of the fun.

I use some equipment that I bought decades ago. My 40 year old regulator properly maintained and updated is as good as anything out there, considering that there are a number of elements that affect such considerations: durability, reliability, ease of breathing, simplicity of repair and adjustment, and several more.

The BP/W seems to be in high favor, but if you look closely it's just a high tech version of the old plastic back pack with detachable flotation modules. I use a simple ultra light back inflation device because I can stuff it into one corner of a carry on.

I have a Suunto computer, but the older Geckko. It's more than good enough, considering that I use the depth/ SPG gauges as a primary guide because they are direct connect and dependent on no damned battery. Recording dives on my computer? Please, I'm not into video games.

The best new high tech items in my kit are the steel HP tanks. They are worth the extra nickel. Future proofing is just gambling, and at bad odds. Maybe something in the future will make compressed air equipment obsolete, but don't hold your breath.

Money will not buy you an edge on the future. Get good equipment. All of the brands you mentioned make excellent regulators. Dive computers are still not as good as they should be, on several levels. In any case they should never be relied on completely. Back-up gauges, easily readable, not too bulky, preferable with depth and compass on the wrist, is the best way to go.

yep go for a BP & W you can change wings as your requirements change
as for computer i do like the Air intergration but its not what some like but your the one thats wearring it! or look at the shearwater range of computers
Regulators as a general set go 40% nitrox out of the bog is great IF you go into Accelerated deco and need higher O2 rated then get them when needed(as you will be using them on another tank) but i would go higher end than HOGS And no all your rigs need to match etc!! i run Atomics and Aqualung reg rigs and never had issues and love the breathes but thats me! it all depends on availabilty of regs and service and also water temp of use (weather they need cold water kits installed)
hope this helps

You don't need a computer. Buy a computer at some point in the future when you really figure out what you really need/want.

A regulator is compatible with oxygen because of the materials in the regulator, the manner in which it is cleaned and the type of o-rings installed. So if you want, get a regulator that can be oxygen-cleaned but it doesn't need to be oxygen clean now. Annual servicing for oxygen-clean regulators is expensive, and there's no point in paying for something that you aren't going to use for years. You can get normal regulator servicing until you're ready for gasses with higher concentrations of oxygen.

Be sure to get a regulator that can be serviced easily and locally. There's nothing good about having to send your regulator to Italy every year for annual servicing. Oh, and avoid titanium regulators because they cannot be used with higher oxygen concentrations.

BP/W right away is what I am looking at. Weird. I talked to few local divers and read tons of stuff on the Web and never heard of Hog. I'd it good? So far my choice was between scuba pro/aqualung/atomic with atomic being nicest to use but quite pricey. I locals showed me few computers, I really liked Suunto d series. Any comments on those?
HOG is a nice, middle of the road BP/W,if you don't need a short or long plate. If you need a short or long, look at DSS or Halcyon.
I do like my HOG regulator. One really nice thing about their regulators is that you can take their class and learn to do your own reg maintenance,once you are tech trained. With the number of regs you'll need as a tech diver, this can make a big difference,plus its nice to be in charge of your own life support gear,instead of trusting the high school dropout at the LDS.
If your really want to spend money on a nice computer, I'd get either a Shearwater Petrel or a Liquivision Xeo. You can use both for rec, they have great features, are easy to use and will grow with you for as far as you want to take them. Otherwise, consider a less expensive computer that just does nitrox, has a backlight and can be used in bottom timer mode for your first tech classes, many which require you to use a bottom timer and tables, anyway. I love my Liquivision Xeo, mainly because I love the bright screen and touch interface.
What you don't need to waste money on is the air integration. Very few tech divers use it so you may as well get used to diving with a regular SPG on your left d-ring.
Lights-buy lights that can go on to cave and tech with you-DRIS or other "backup" lights will work. You don't really need a can-light yet, but don't waste money on plastic, "gun"style flashlights.

Lights-buy lights that can go on to cave and tech with you-DRIS or other "backup" lights will work. You don't really need a can-light yet, but don't waste money on plastic, "gun"style flashlights.

The price that Andrew sells his homemade can lights around here..... why not? :)

But yes, there are plenty of $20-$40 lights from Honk Kong on eBay that put out a good punch. I'm biased since a light is needed on every dive where I live so the can light made perfect sense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom