Future plans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll be honest, with our mix of diving experience between individuals on this board, we are all helping eachother in one facet or another. I watch other people underwater, how they swim, how they trim out, how they poke at fish with sticks, etc., as I'm sure others watch me when I'm not doing my pigpen impression at VB - I've picked up on a few things... stuff I stash in the cranial cavity and try out or ask about after a dive. I've even learned about the different gear configurations from people and then saw how it was used or set up. Some stuff made perfectly good sense, some stuff.. well, ya'll cavers have fun under those rocks :wink:

In effect we are working on our personal dive skills everytime we dive with one another, if even subconsiously.

Couldn't have said it better myself, Colin. I find our divers' attitudes as valuable as any specific knowledge that they share, and that, when we get together, it's infectious - everybody sharing what they've learned, helping each other out, working together to make all of us better divers. Kind of like the sort of dive class that we all wish we could have had.

As for DIR, I agree with what somebody said above: let's keep it in mind for a little bit later and keep honing skills with every dive. All joking aside, I like the fact that DIR has made me think about what I'm doing in the water, made me tighten my gear configuration a bit, made me much more conscious of bouyancy, overall fitness and buddy support. And whether we do it in a DIR-F class or sitting on the sea wall at Datura Avenue, we're still getting better day by day, dive by dive.

And I can talk, 'cause I have more to learn than anybody!

BTW, just as a little gift, I thought you guys might appreciate a link to this site. This guy, Larry "Harris" Taylor (no relationship), has written some very nice articles on the art and science of diving. If you know somebody taking the OW or AOW classes, I especially recommend The Friday Night Review, the recap of the OW class that he gives before taking the class on their cert dives.

I read most of these while doing the coursework for DM and found that they were a great review of most of the theoretical material in that course.

Anyway, see you guys soon,
Grier

i had faith in you!

Glad somebody does. You going to make it down to OceanFest?

alas, no

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom