Future plans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I actually spoke with Cody (the instructor) today. While the requirement of BP&W is one that is non-negotiable, he said that he has a couple of BP&W setups that he'd be willing to rent for the class, at a rate of 50.00. The cost of the class is $350.00 and he will not train more than 3 divers at a time. There will be no dives in the ocean unless requested by the class, and only the last two dives will be eligible. All the remaining dives will be in confined water. I can see the purpose for this; maximize the amount of training, while minimizing the expenses; it makes sense.

The student can use any reg they wish, but the set up with the regs is something that Cody can't rent, so the 7' hose (about $35 - $40) for the primary and the octo on a necklace (about $1.00), as well as the non-split fins will have to be borne by the student.

BTW, LeisurePro has the jetfins for $61.95, plus about $14.00 for 3 day select UPS shipment. Although endorsed, the class does not require spring straps, so that would be a non necessary expense.

For what it's worth, but it's definitely something I'm looking into doing. Grier, let's finish up DM and then we can talk about doing this if you're still interested.

Scubaguy62:
I actually spoke with Cody (the instructor) today. While the requirement of BP&W is one that is non-negotiable, he said that he has a couple of BP&W setups that he'd be willing to rent for the class, at a rate of 50.00.

Just fyi, renting BP/Wings from EE in High Springs is $12, at Brownies i would imagine it is similar for a set-up that will get you through the course $50 is a bit steep for 2 days use - i also thought the same of the additional costs he mentioned for staying there and him cooking for you through the weekend - just IMO he is making a pretty penny off these courses.

I'm still interested, but I'll need to think the cost/reconfiguration issue a bit. I agree with you, Rick. Finish the DM, dive a bit more, and move to DIR a little later.

-Grier

equipment wise, i'm all set. i just need to use my computer in gauge mode.

the only issue is timing.

would sure love to see you guys again.

simbrooks:
Just fyi, renting BP/Wings from EE in High Springs is $12, at Brownies i would imagine it is similar for a set-up that will get you through the course $50 is a bit steep for 2 days use - i also thought the same of the additional costs he mentioned for staying there and him cooking for you through the weekend - just IMO he is making a pretty penny off these courses.

Check out www.fillexpress.com for rentals of BP wings, steel tanks etc. I don't know the prices but they are one of the few that rent gear outside the regular recreational OW student setups.

IMHO GUE and DIR is too rigid in their equipment requirements. There are more than one thing that works for a certain situation etc. And then there is the personal confidence level with a a setup as well. IMO self reliance is more important than buddy familiarity, Also IMO give it a second look before spending the bucks. I use some of the ideas which BTW are not GUE/DIR originated, like long hose etc. (most of the valuable, if not all, stuff comes from the cave community), but others are just bs like having to have a backup light with 3 C-cell batteries, not a certain wattage and burn time but # of batteries :11: .
--A

Just found the thread. Was interested until I saw the costs involved. Also, while I would like to eventually get a BP/W setup, it won't be until 1. I have the $$$ or 2. find a person willing to "sponsor" me! LOL. Neither will probably be anytime soon...so I am here with my BC and good bouyancy, good SAC...why change it? Improve yes, change, No.

I understand, Jenny. I have real mixed feelings about DIR. On the one hand, I've read most of their training materials and found them useful, thought provoking, and informative. On the other hand, some of the requirements (i.e. expensive equipment purchases) keep that course of training a little out of reach. (This move is becoming enormously expensive!)

I like the idea of doing the DIR-F class together, but we'd have to get a good rate on both instruction and equipment rental for it to be really practical.

For my needs, I can just keep diving with our little group as often as wind and waves allow - I keep improving on all of the above parameters that you mentioned, plus Fish ID, every time we dive!

BTW, if you haven't read Jarrod Jablonski's book, Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving, it really is a good read. I picked it up early last year in High Springs, before I had ever heard of DIR, and thougth that it looked interesting. Oh, the places that the innocent can stumble upon...

Scuba_Jenny:
Just found the thread. Was interested until I saw the costs involved. Also, while I would like to eventually get a BP/W setup, it won't be until 1. I have the $$$ or 2. find a person willing to "sponsor" me! LOL. Neither will probably be anytime soon...so I am here with my BC and good bouyancy, good SAC...why change it? Improve yes, change, No.
Like you need an extra hole in your head.
I've dove with you and I have to say
IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON"T FIX IT.
There's nothing they will do for you.
I use things they have taken from cave but not for the reasons they use. There is nothing they can teach me either.
I'll stop now. Before I get a debate going.
Fred

GrierHPharmD:
BTW, if you haven't read Jarrod Jablonski's book, Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving, it really is a good read. I picked it up early last year in High Springs, before I had ever heard of DIR, and thougth that it looked interesting. Oh, the places that the innocent can stumble upon...

yes, likewise. i think just reading the book is a "graduate
level" course when compared to the PADI OW i had
received at the time i read the book.

it was so useful for me because i was a very under-educated
diver. for people like fred who are already superbly trained,
it probably won't be as useful.

but still, if you are a beginner or mid-level diver, the book can
teach you a lot of useful things.

and jenny, i've seen you dive. you are an awesome diver.

I agree with everyone, although I see Rick's point of wanting to take the class when you're a professional, b/c a lot of students may ask about it and I like to be over-educated. If at all possible, I know Chris and I would like to do the class, but like everyone else, we would have to make some purchases first. Let's keep it on our radar screen and maybe someday we can make it happen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom