Future plans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to be a spoilsport, but everyone should read this link before jumping on the bandwagon. It outlines course prerequisites, course topics, and of special note - equipment requirements to take the course.

From those of you I know, at a minimum you'll need to invest in a new back plate and wing, and lose your current BC's. You also need to convert to the long hose secondary, short necklaced octo configuration. A couple of you will need to buy new fins as splits aren't allowed.

That might be a bigger committment than some are willing to make. I talked to the folks at Brownie's last year about the course, and decided it wasn't time yet. Maybe in the future when I want to take my diving to another level, but not yet. I'm having too much fun to take all this too seriously. :D

Marc

Not to be an anti-spoilsport, but i think they try to work around the gear you have and discuss its merits and demerits as you go, even show you how it doesnt work as well as other things. As far as everyone getting BP/wings, i think you can get by with other BC's for the sake of the course, long hose might be a little problem with doing their air sharing thing, but its only about $40 of hose replacement (for those doing cavern/cave that is already something to get anyway), as regards fins, splits probably arent the best as you are going to work on a variety of kicks - something stiffer might be in order - do Brownies rent jets or the like? I think you need something that will allow you to practice the kicks, air sharing and also to work on the buoyancy. I have read lots of stories on here of people trying to work with a BP/Wings that they just bought the day before the course and having troubles, same with drysuits (not a problem here in FL). So anyway, i would check with them, but i dont think they would make a big stink about you using it for the course, but they might suggest other types of gear as better - what more would you expect!

simbrooks:
As far as everyone getting BP/wings, i think you can get by with other BC's for the sake of the course, long hose might be a little problem with doing their air sharing thing, but its only about $40 of hose replacement (for those doing cavern/cave that is already something to get anyway), as regards fins, splits probably arent the best as you are going to work on a variety of kicks - something stiffer might be in order - do Brownies rent jets or the like? I think you need something that will allow you to practice the kicks, air sharing and also to work on the buoyancy. I have read lots of stories on here of people trying to work with a BP/Wings that they just bought the day before the course and having troubles, same with drysuits (not a problem here in FL). So anyway, i would check with them, but i dont think they would make a big stink about you using it for the course, but they might suggest other types of gear as better - what more would you expect!

They used to let you use other equipment to take the course, but this changed over a year ago - right around the time I inquired about the course. That's why I included the link - "Each student should have, and be familiar with, all of the following required equipment." (Italics mine.)

Their reasoning is that they teach a particular dive method which includes specific equipment, and it compromises effective training to have different equipment configurations.

I'm not knocking the DIR-F course, I looked into taking it last year. But everyone needs to know exactly what they are getting themselves into, and the committment required, especially from an equipment aspect.

Marc

Well, it's not like we were going to do it right now, but I'm a sucker for puting things together. I just wanted to get a feel for who would be interested in doing the course. I'm all for training, because I believe no amount of training is ever enough; a good diver is always training!

Brownies Southport Divers in Ft. Laud, has a Halcyon BP&W set for $485.00, which is no more than the cost of a moderately priced, quality BC, and it's an expense I've been looking into. I already wear my octo on a necklace, and some of those who have responded do as well, except that waterbabie will need to get another set of jetfins :D

Marc and Simbrooks, thanks for your imput!

I'll revise my earlier post - I am interested, but at $400ish for a course its WAY out of my price range. Not to say I'm not working on changing gear configurations anyway, I'm sort of a minimalist at heart anyway, but $400 puts it into this elitist catagory thats just not practical.

Take the Peak bouyancy class. This will get you to your perfect weighting and trim as well as run you through some bouyancy skills that will get you where you want to be without changing your equiptment. It comes down to the instuctor and his teaching technic and it won't cost no were near $400
Fred

I would say that you can pick up a good Dive-Rite BP/Wings for around $350-380 package, then jets at $100 a pair and some hoses in the $40 range. I am already there with regard to the BP/Wings, will be getting the hoses soon enough for cavern training and as for jets, maybe when i get a dry suit. Otherwise you can rent that gear for a reasonable price and not only try the dark side of training, but also the dark side of gear too.

The price (and additional costs) were part of what put me off the whole thing, i can get similar training elsewhere (same place as Fred actually) and more as well for less cash. I have only spent about $480 on training so far and have enough cards to spare already - i only want another few bits of core training as it goes, DIR-F might be one some day when i have some spare cash floating about.

Sounds like too much money for a poor biologist! :wink:

The cost is just one factor in it all, some would say this is a great course no matter what the money, others get put off by it, it depends on your perspective and aims. My price quotes are approximate, but not unreasonable, they are mentioned to get an appreciation of the costs of the instruction and gear (if required) for you to make your own judgements, not as a bash at the price or instruction of any sort.

So are any of you still thinking of getting together on this (even after DM training)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom