Future Navy Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Navy Divers come in all shapes any sizes. Being "BIG" is not optimal to get through dive school. Stop lifting weights and start focusing on cardio. You will be expected to run upwards of 10 miles a day and spend hours and hours in the pool or bay. Any weight lifting you do should be HIT or crossfit centric with the goal being to increase workload capacity vice gaining mass. Oh, and stop taking supplements - they are not allowed.

Navy Divers come in all shapes any sizes. Being "BIG" is not optimal to get through dive school. Stop lifting weights and start focusing on cardio. You will be expected to run upwards of 10 miles a day and spend hours and hours in the pool or bay. Any weight lifting you do should be HIT or crossfit centric with the goal being to increase workload capacity vice gaining mass. Oh, and stop taking supplements - they are not allowed.

All I take is bata-alanine and Isopue whey protein. I do want to get into crossfit but it just seems like its not good for you body. Like thronging weights around. there are a lot of good parts to it to. I just need to go.

Generally, women don't get bigger from lifting weights, unless they are taking something anabolic. Weight lifting will help greatly with the upper body strength, something that most women will suffer from, compared to men.
Ive always been stronger in the upper body than most women and found the Air Force OTS PT test was quite easy for me to max, as far as the women's version. It was weighted heavily on upper body strength and I found the standards were not difficult. However, I came from a lifetime of riding horses, grooming, stall cleaning, feeding and lifting hay bales/feed bags. Basically, I grew up lifting weights. This helped me greatly because it was an area of training that I didn't have to focus on.
If the OP is coming from a non-military background, I would recommend reading as much training material as possible. Try to get ahold of the academic materials for the dive school and any other material that you possibly can. I found that my biggest stress was simply learning all the militarisms since I came from a non-military background. It gave me a huge disadvantage,since most of the other students in my OTS class were prior enlisted.

Like I said, stop taking supplements -all of them- they are not permitted. The dive prep training you'll do at great lakes and dive school is designed to push you to your physical limits. Supplements can cause dehydration and have other adverse side effects when you are pushing yourself that hard.

Crossfit is good, but its just part of the training you need to be doing to prepare. Train like you are getting ready for a triathlon and you'll be much better off.

I do need to mix it up. Right now I swim 4-5 days a week weights 5 and run 6 but I'm eatting really bad :/

Ok so I'm not a man but I think I'm big for a girl. I weight train.. A lot!!! not to brag or anything but I can leg press 435 and squat 200.. and bench 180.. A lot of the guys at my gym cant keep up :blinking:

It sounds like you are already at the strength level needed. Big is not necessarily better, conditioning is.

I do need to mix it up. Right now I swim 4-5 days a week weights 5 and run 6 but I'm eatting really bad :/

If you have a bad diet then what's the point of working out like that? Diet is pretty much the first and foremost thing when working out. It is fundamental in terms of building up. Your body requires fuel to function. Then you work your body and it requires more fuel to recover and repair. Junk food won't do anything for you. Most (if not almost all) of your working out is going to absolute waste.

I read this post before but did not reply, did you become a Navy Diver?

I read this post before but did not reply, did you become a Navy Diver?

The poster was last seen on these forums on September 21, 2013, so we'll likely never know. With how tough the program is, I'd bet on no.

Hello! I am a 22 year old female from Arizona that is in love with the water! For the last 6 months I have been online researching everything I can about becoming a ND. There really is not much advice for woman. I just keep running into men that say "Females should just stay in the kitchen". So if you are one of the men that thinks like that please just leave me alone!

OK! So far as I understand to become a ND you have to get AR+VE=103 -AND-MC=51 on the ASVAB then you have to pass the physical swim/push-up/pull-up/curl-ups. Then when you go to boot camp and the Men go to the 800 division. Witch brings me for my first question. Is the 800 division just for men? If so how do the females stay in shape when in boot camp. If a female is really prepared for dive school boot camp should be to easy for her. Plus I believe that the 800 division dose more book work along side with the extra PT.

Then after Boot Camp I would stay in Great lakes for Pre-Dive school. I read that the pass rate is like 20% :/ . Is it just more of a head game or is it physical, or just both? Why is this part so hard? I would think that by the time this school comes around you would already be in a good mind set from Boot camp. Also dose anyone know a %of females at this school or % of them that pass?

Then after you pass Prep you go to Panama City!! There is where the real training begins! When preparing for this what do you think is the best kind of work out to do? For example, weight training and cardio or stuff like cross fit? I don't really think there is a way for someone to get prepared for stuff like jumping into the water and getting out and rolling around in the sand... or getting your mask ripped off and getting thrown around. O and I can't seem to find a way to be able to hold my breath for longer periods of time.. Grr any suggestions on that?

Then if I can make it through all that I will be a Navy Diver!!! I cant find any list of bases that ND get stationed at.. Like I know if will not be on my ocean front property here in Arizona, but I really want to go over seas.. Where should I look for that?

Ok thank you for your time!

Im not sure you are talking about navy diver. The program sounds like seal training , UDT, or shipyard diver. Our ships always sent 2 or so onboard for being a navy diver in panama city. pass rate was high, no biggy. the attrition ragte you seem to reference sounds like the seals ect program.
See a reqruiter and ask some specific questions. Ask about drop outs in the program. I think they still retain navy diver. status but not seal or udt. Its been sometime since i went with a perspective rectruit to the recruiters office loking to b a navy diver. the seals and udt has a pretty hefty sign up bonus. Get the related rates involved with diving..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom