Future Navy Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As hroark said, don't do the trust me thing with the recruiters. The Navy will guarantee you a rate, as long as you meet requirements and pass the classes. GET IT IN WRITING before you sign the enlistment papers. Boot camp, for me, was an absolute joke. It was more of an indoctrination into Navy culture than a physical or mental challenge. Very few "A" schools have a high attrition rate, and I see no reason ND should be different. I also noticed that a "Secret" security clearance is required which means an enhanced background check at the least. Don't let anyone discourage you from going after this, especially because of your gender. Follow your vision and work hard.
RichH

Speaking of Secret clearance. Don't lie. Don't even fib. If you smoked a little weed, so be it. Act contrite and say you'll never do it again, that it made you sick the one or two times you tried it. FBI agents will interview your family and friends, and they will find out what you did that night. It's no big deal, but your integrity is. Second the motion on the the guaranteed school. whatever they offer, get it in writing. Do not accept "Everyone does it this way" for an answer. The recruiter needs you to make his quota. He will put in writing what you ask for, and no more. When I was in, anyone could try out for Navy Diver, whatever their guaranteed rate. It's the only thing that will get you out of Nuke School, so go for the best program you qualify for, which may be a 6 year obligation, then try for diver. If you fail out of dive school, you are still guaranteed the school you signed up for. I've seen too many kids go away thinking they were going to be a Navy Diver and end up scrubbing algae off the waterline from a bosun's chair.

At least that's how it was 33 years ago.

witch!! I saw that right after I posted it :(

---------- Post added August 13th, 2013 at 03:06 PM ----------

I got the 800 division idea because Divers and EOD go to it also(men).. I know it's not special opps!

Speaking of Secret clearance. Don't lie. Don't even fib. If you smoked a little weed, so be it. Act contrite and say you'll never do it again, that it made you sick the one or two times you tried it. FBI agents will interview your family and friends, and they will find out what you did that night. It's no big deal, but your integrity is.

This can not be emphasized enough. If you think it was bad 33 years ago it's REALLLLLY bad now with all of the anti-terrorism, DHS, NSA, etc. I was in the hiring process for the CIA quite a while ago. Talk about instantly having your phone bugged, internet movements tracked, you name it. They WILL get the answers they want from WHOEVER it takes. We're talking about going back and having a chat with the neighbor you never really knew in that apartment you had 6 years ago kind of thing.

---------- Post added August 13th, 2013 at 03:37 PM ----------

Secret clearances aren't that bad, but they will be thorough. Top secret is about as bad. I was going for clandestine services so that's pretty much the worst.

all my pt test are the same as the men in dive school. Just easyer in boot camp.

AAlexan2, if you PM me with specific questions I can put you in touch with dive prep staff at GL.

Military schools are all built to let you succeed. Do what your told, how and when you are told. Be where you were told, how and when you were told. Be prepared, mentally and physically. Embrace the suck as this too shall pass and you will be a superstar.

Get everything that you want in the original contract. If your recruiter doesn't seem helpful, go see another one. Nobody will ever care as much about you as you do. Never stop pushing forward.

As has been stated here already, modern kinder gentler training standards have changed for everything. What are the recruiters telling you?
You obviously haven't been to one of the military schools with a built-in attrition rate. When I went to Air Force OTS, they had a planned attrition rate of 60%. 60% failed and that's what they planned on every class.
Same with Army Rangers and SF, they have an expected attrition rate and when the guys go through those classes,the cadre makes sure that nearly exactly the expected failure rate will fail,every single class. When I was in the Army, I had a lot of medics go to SF and Ranger school and the failure rates always held true.

---------- Post added August 23rd, 2013 at 08:25 PM ----------

Speaking of Secret clearance. Don't lie. Don't even fib. If you smoked a little weed, so be it. Act contrite and say you'll never do it again, that it made you sick the one or two times you tried it. FBI agents will interview your family and friends, and they will find out what you did that night. It's no big deal, but your integrity is. Second the motion on the the guaranteed school. whatever they offer, get it in writing. Do not accept "Everyone does it this way" for an answer. The recruiter needs you to make his quota. He will put in writing what you ask for, and no more. When I was in, anyone could try out for Navy Diver, whatever their guaranteed rate. It's the only thing that will get you out of Nuke School, so go for the best program you qualify for, which may be a 6 year obligation, then try for diver. If you fail out of dive school, you are still guaranteed the school you signed up for. I've seen too many kids go away thinking they were going to be a Navy Diver and end up scrubbing algae off the waterline from a bosun's chair.

At least that's how it was 33 years ago.
I think they interviewed my 1st grade teacher. Seriously!

Best of luck to you! I tried to get in myself, but a non-waiverable medical condition shot that down in a hurry. Still found my way to Panama City though, and drive by the NDSTC almost every day. Like okbyme said, those guys are BIG! I thought I saw one of them squatting a Volkswagen the other day.

If you make it in, try to get me a tour of the place! :)

The Navy Divers I know are BIG. They are not the Tom Cruise size. They hump a lot of gear and work on big heavy things. I saw a wrench that Micheal used that weighed 65lbs.

Ok so I'm not a man but I think I'm big for a girl. I weight train.. A lot!!! not to brag or anything but I can leg press 435 and squat 200.. and bench 180.. A lot of the guys at my gym cant keep up :blinking:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom