Future Navy Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AAlexan2

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I am a 22 year old female from Arizona that is in love with the water! For the last 6 months I have been online researching everything I can about becoming a ND. There really is not much advice for woman. I just keep running into men that say "Females should just stay in the kitchen". So if you are one of the men that thinks like that please just leave me alone!

OK! So far as I understand to become a ND you have to get AR+VE=103 -AND-MC=51 on the ASVAB then you have to pass the physical swim/push-up/pull-up/curl-ups. Then when you go to boot camp and the Men go to the 800 division. Witch brings me for my first question. Is the 800 division just for men? If so how do the females stay in shape when in boot camp. If a female is really prepared for dive school boot camp should be to easy for her. Plus I believe that the 800 division dose more book work along side with the extra PT.

Then after Boot Camp I would stay in Great lakes for Pre-Dive school. I read that the pass rate is like 20% :/ . Is it just more of a head game or is it physical, or just both? Why is this part so hard? I would think that by the time this school comes around you would already be in a good mind set from Boot camp. Also dose anyone know a %of females at this school or % of them that pass?

Then after you pass Prep you go to Panama City!! There is where the real training begins! When preparing for this what do you think is the best kind of work out to do? For example, weight training and cardio or stuff like cross fit? I don't really think there is a way for someone to get prepared for stuff like jumping into the water and getting out and rolling around in the sand... or getting your mask ripped off and getting thrown around. O and I can't seem to find a way to be able to hold my breath for longer periods of time.. Grr any suggestions on that?

Then if I can make it through all that I will be a Navy Diver!!! I cant find any list of bases that ND get stationed at.. Like I know if will not be on my ocean front property here in Arizona, but I really want to go over seas.. Where should I look for that?

Ok thank you for your time!

everyone is reading it but nobody is writting back:confused:

Last edited:
Best thing to do us to talk to a recruiter and then someone at MEPS. They can give you the current training path for divers and the requirements. One thing I will advise you is to get everything in writing BEFORE you sign up. Don't call for the "you can volunteer in boot camp" line. Of course, that may be the only way you can get in and then you've got to decide if you want to take the chance.

Do not expect Navy boot camp to get you in mentally tough shape. Navy boot camp is a joke. It's not physically or mentally challenging. I went through Great Lakes in February and the temperature was worse than the drills.

Attrition rate will depend on the classes. Some classes fail out a ton and some pass most. You're trying to go to Navy diver school, not BUD/S. Don't expect it to be like GI Jane. I'd be shocked to hear that 80% flunk out. That's awfully high.

As far as where you can get stationed, anywhere there are ships you'll find divers.

Good luck.

I have no advice. I do know a number of women who tried out for rescue swimmer and diver school and did not make it. They ended up bitter in rates like Aviation Electronics Technician and never left P'cola.

Good luck in your endeavors. When you become a Navy Diver, come back and tell us about it.

BTW. WHen I went to Navy Basic in G'Lakes, there were no Women's vs. Men's fitness standards. You passed or failed. I did not go to Orlando, though, that's where the women went, so maybe they had a different program there. Today's Navy is a kinder, gentler, more politically correct Navy than the one I joined.

Do you remember seeing any females in the 800 division??

---------- Post added August 13th, 2013 at 02:18 PM ----------

thank you guys very much!!

I have NO IDEA how people can take multiple quotes out of one post and refer to them specifically so I have to do this over multiple posts...

OK! So far as I understand to become a ND you have to get AR+VE=103 -AND-MC=51 on the ASVAB then you have to pass the physical swim/push-up/pull-up/curl-ups. Then when you go to boot camp and the Men go to the 800 division. Witch brings me for my first question. Is the 800 division just for men?

"Which" brings you to your next question (sorry, but that was drilling holes in my skull). 800 division is SpecOps. Front line battlefield stuff. We're talking SEALs. Women are only barely getting into front line in the Army now and they sure are a long way (if ever) going to be in the SEALs. I'm almost positive they don't let women into BUD/S. However, women can be Navy divers. You're talking about two different things here.

---------- Post added August 13th, 2013 at 01:31 PM ----------

Then after Boot Camp I would stay in Great lakes for Pre-Dive school. I read that the pass rate is like 20% :/ . Is it just more of a head game or is it physical, or just both? Why is this part so hard? I would think that by the time this school comes around you would already be in a good mind set from Boot camp.

20% on a good day. It's both a head game AND physical. BCT is pretty easy and it will definitely NOT prepare you (entirely) mentally or physically. Why is it hard? It all depends on the person. Some aren't as good in water as they think. Some get psychologically mindf****d by drownproofing. Oh yeah, if you haven't heard of drownproofing then you really should start looking that sort of thing up...

Military schools are all built to let you succeed. Do what your told, how and when you are told. Be where you were told, how and when you were told. Be prepared, mentally and physically. Embrace the suck as this too shall pass and you will be a superstar.

Get everything that you want in the original contract. If your recruiter doesn't seem helpful, go see another one. Nobody will ever care as much about you as you do. Never stop pushing forward.

As has been stated here already, modern kinder gentler training standards have changed for everything. What are the recruiters telling you?

When preparing for this what do you think is the best kind of work out to do? For example, weight training and cardio or stuff like cross fit? I don't really think there is a way for someone to get prepared for stuff like jumping into the water and getting out and rolling around in the sand... or getting your mask ripped off and getting thrown around. O and I can't seem to find a way to be able to hold my breath for longer periods of time.. Grr any suggestions on that?

You'll be worked to death so exercise in all possible ways. I don't want to put more of an emphasis on one thing or another BUT I will say that good cardio training will help you when it comes it breath holding. Suggestions on holding breath? There are a few. There are devices out there you can buy that you can breathe through that limit how much you can breathe in. They force you to breathe in really hard to get air. This exercises your diaphragm and can make it easier to breathe. Practice...practice...practice. The more you practice the better you will get. Also, if you haven't heard of it yet, go take a look at the mammalian diving reflex. It's a lot to go into here, but basically, cold water makes your body process change so you don't require as much oxygen.

---------- Post added August 13th, 2013 at 01:37 PM ----------

Then if I can make it through all that I will be a Navy Diver!!! I cant find any list of bases that ND get stationed at.. Like I know if will not be on my ocean front property here in Arizona, but I really want to go over seas.. Where should I look for that?

Don't worry about it. You won't have a choice where they put you.

You'll be worked to death so exercise in all possible ways. I don't want to put more of an emphasis on one thing or another BUT I will say that good cardio training will help you when it comes it breath holding. Suggestions on holding breath? There are a few. There are devices out there you can buy that you can breathe through that limit how much you can breathe in. They force you to breathe in really hard to get air. This exercises your diaphragm and can make it easier to breathe. Practice...practice...practice. The more you practice the better you will get. Also, if you haven't heard of it yet, go take a look at the mammalian diving reflex. It's a lot to go into here, but basically, cold water makes your body process change so you don't require as much oxygen.

---------- Post added August 13th, 2013 at 01:37 PM ----------

Don't worry about it. You won't have a choice where they put you.

Toddthecat obviously knows far more about this than I do, but what I've seen is that during Basic, when you have a crapload of other things on your mind, like being away from home, Mom has breast cancer, you're on the rag, etc. etc., they throw you in the pool and make you swim 400,000 laps or so. I never volunteered for any of the swimming disciplines, so I just watched, but that was the first mindf**k. If you don't pass that first test, not given by anyone in the water business, but by your leading chief, you don't get to take any more of them. You must be comfortable in the water, and by comfortable, I mean like it's your second home. If they fail you here, they get to use you as a non-rate, like going to first or second division on a bird farm somewhere to chip and paint for 4 years unless you can strike out and be a Boiler Technician or the A-gang whore.

Be prepared for the mindf**k. Take a static apnea class. Drownproof yourself. Remember, when a recruit drowns, they have a 99% chance of being revived, the paperwork is a bummer to fill out when you lose a trainee. Also remember, those guys also went through it, and they want you to fail. You have to be tougher mentally than they are.

My stewardess on the Spree cramped up on her 399,017th lap. She had it dicked, and she got a cramp. I'd secretly guess she didn't want it as badly as they wanted her to quit, so she did. People will do what you expect them to do, so she did. Don't be a non-rate.

As hroark said, don't do the trust me thing with the recruiters. The Navy will guarantee you a rate, as long as you meet requirements and pass the classes. GET IT IN WRITING before you sign the enlistment papers. Boot camp, for me, was an absolute joke. It was more of an indoctrination into Navy culture than a physical or mental challenge. Very few "A" schools have a high attrition rate, and I see no reason ND should be different. I also noticed that a "Secret" security clearance is required which means an enhanced background check at the least. Don't let anyone discourage you from going after this, especially because of your gender. Follow your vision and work hard.
RichH

Back
Top Bottom