Fusion socks leaking - multiple reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi everyone,

I just bought a few weeks ago a brand new Aqualung Bullet Fusion with aircore. During the first few dives, a noticed water leaking through the socks. This especially happens in surface.
After the dive, my socks are totally wet!
The dive shop verified my serial number and told me that indeed it was part of a bad batch manufactured in Mexico.
The problem is Aqualung France is discussing the replacement of the suit!
How professional is that?
I've left them a message. I hope they respond quickly and positively!

I was recently on a dive with 4 guys in new Aqualung suits w/ drycore and they all had leaks. Suits are being desltnwirh under warranty as there is an apparent manufacturing defect.

Added: stuff can happen and when it does you want a responsive shop to be on your side.

I’ve had leaks since day one. My shop sent my aircore back, aqualung sent me a brand new one....still leaked...it’s going back to the shop tomorrow, hoping it was just the dump valve improperly installed when they put the outer skin back on. It’s really starting to bum me out.

Sorry to hear of all the leaky socks on the Fusion. However, the issue is hardly new. Back in 2009 my wife and I bought Fusions and both leaked in the first few months - and both from the socks. I recall there were two leaking events separated by a few months of dry diving. At that time, the suits had to go back to White's - a round trip over to the island which took three weeks. There were lots of annoying aspects to the suits - the sizing which really only works well if you are +/- 10% of the bag size, the zipper bib, and the double layer which adds to the complication of donning it, but really only one benefit - the flexibility. Having used one for 8 years, I'd never go back to it and nor can I recommend it to any active diver (outside of the +/- 10% fit). They are a great rental suit for obvious reasons. While no drysuit is perfect, I am very much enjoying my made-to-measure BARE HDC. A year in and well over 100 dives and the only water in the suit was the stuff that came from me (sweat... not pee).

USIA has a lifetime warranty on seams. I've only had one leak due to mfg defect on my OS Systems which was my first suit due to a bad batch of glue. My HOG (USIA) and Otter suits have only leaked when I screwed up.

Update: my Fusion (purchased August 2018, received Sept 2018) is leaking badly from the armpits. I had water pooling in my suit socks on Saturday. Dove the suit on Lake Michigan Sunday and with lighter colored base layer top we were able to see the leaks were coming from armpits. Suit was dropped at the shop.(DRIS) last night and I’m dealing with Mike. I am fully expecting the AirCore will need to be replaced under warranty.

I’m back to diving wet. Couldn’t get a loaner suit for this weekend as they have a ton of students. I kept my 7mm and water temps are mid-50s so I’ll be fine. UASC survey dives Sunday. I’m lucky all my travels for the year are done.

Update: my Fusion (purchased August 2018, received Sept 2018) is leaking badly from the armpits. I had water pooling in my suit socks on Saturday. Dove the suit on Lake Michigan Sunday and with lighter colored base layer top we were able to see the leaks were coming from armpits. Suit was dropped at the shop.(DRIS) last night and I’m dealing with Mike. I am fully expecting the AirCore will need to be replaced under warranty.

I’m back to diving wet. Couldn’t get a loaner suit for this weekend as they have a ton of students. I kept my 7mm and water temps are mid-50s so I’ll be fine. UASC survey dives Sunday. I’m lucky all my travels for the year are done.

You mentioned on facebook that your suit was from a batch made in mexico that were problematic...is it easy to identify those suits? Will it state made in mexico on the tags in the suit or is there a batch of serial numbers to look for?

-Z

You mentioned on facebook that your suit was from a batch made in mexico that were problematic...is it easy to identify those suits? Will it state made in mexico on the tags in the suit or is there a batch of serial numbers to look for?

-Z

My suit actually shows made in Mexico on the tag inside.

My suit actually shows made in Mexico on the tag inside.

I just checked the tags in mine. There are 2 large square tags and a small rectangular tag behind them. The first large square tag has care instructions. The second large square tag has model and serial number info and says made in USA. The small rectangular tag says made in Mexico.

So does that mean my suit has dual nationality or will they separate us at the border?

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom