Further to EBay Fraud Sticky: Recent Fraudulent Second Chance Offers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CUunderH2O

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to warn you about a second chance offer I received earlier this week. For the past couple of weeks I'd been bidding on several lenses offered by the EBay store CametaCamera. I lost all of the auctions, but then this week I received a Second Chance Offer. It came through EBay (I viewed the message when I logged into EBay and checked my messages), but there was a message from the seller within the email that said I was to contact the seller at a slightly different email address than the one Cameta uses (the domain was cametastock.com). I was suspicious, especially since the offer was for far less than the lens was worth, and they were offering free shipping. So, I went to the CametaCamera website and emailed them at their auctions email address to verify this offer. They emailed me back quickly and said it was not from them, and that their account had been hijacked. EBay sent me an email the next day to tell me that it was a fraudulent offer. Today, the false seller contacted me through another false email (AOL this time), and said he was now in Europe, that he would be using something called the eBay Exchange Package Service, and that I wouldn't have to pay anything up front. It has been forwarded to the EBay Account Security Team for further action.

Please be careful! I didn't expect this to happen when dealing with a reputable EBay store, so read all the fine print in any second chance offers you get, no matter how legitimate they look, and verify those offers before accepting them.

Cameta got hijacked??? Wow...they've sold like thousands of cameras. I bought my E330 from them early last year (2007).

Thanks for the warning! I'm watching a few of their lenses lately myself...

Thanks for the warning. I had the weirdest thing happen to me this week. I logged onto my Bank of America account to pay my credit card and then I logged off and checked my email. Right after I paid my account, I got an email allegedly from them asking me to verify my account. Now the email account they sent it to was not the one I gave to BOA. So I logged back into my BAO account to see if there was a message from them because I know that is how they communicate, not through email. No message, and then I checked my email again and BAM, another one of those messages. I used a new scan program an IT guy at work told me about and I had 17 Trojans on my computer, but we are not sure if this was due to my computer or something going on with BAO.
Bottom line, be care out there. The internet is worst than the streets.

From the communications I've received, Cameta's listings are fine now and the fraudulent listings have been removed. However, if this can happen to a large eBay store, it can happen to any account. Be cautious with any second chance offers.

I got a similar fraudulent 2nd chance offer recently too. I won an auction from Cameta for a lens a few weeks ago too, but this was not from them.

Back
Top Bottom