DIR- GUE Fundies Rec vs Tec rating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The standards for both a Recreational Pass and a Technical Pass are available in the GUE Standards document. Look at Section 2.2.3.8(A) and 2.2.3.8(B). Equipment requirements are listed in 2.2.3.9(A) & (B).

The basic differences are that for the Technical Pass you need to perform all the skills in doubles and to tighter tolerances for buoyancy and trim (within 3 feet of target depth and within 20 degrees of horizontal trim.) The Technical Pass also requires demonstration of diver rescue techniques which is not required for a Rec Pass. There is no requirement that you have experience in doubles before taking Fundamentals, but you will be facing a steep learning curve during the class if they are new to you.

The only additional piece to the above is that a Tech Pass is required to move forward with GUE technical and cave training.

Many students get recreational passes and move forward with a subsequent Tech upgrade. Take the class with an open mind, and a goal of learning, and it will be a success.

Just go for the learning. It will work itself out. You can however hire a fundies instructor to run a workshop to prepare you for fundies and increase your chances of earning a tec pass

What are the differences between the Rec and the Tec rating for fundamentals? Do I need experience on doubles to go for the tec rating ?

*Need* experience? Theoretically, no. Practically, yes. *Very* few divers get a Tech pass out of the gate, even with hundreds of dives.

And you don’t really ‘go for the rating’. You take the class, and you achieve a certain level. You don’t have to declare in advance… :)

Now, if you’re asking whether you should do it in doubles or not, the answer is simple: unless you are very comfortable in doubles, do it in singles. The last thing you want to do is be in a configuration that you’re already unsure about when you will be challenged significantly by the class material alone.

A moment of real talk: assuming your profile is correct, there’s no way on God’s green earth you will be able to achieve a tech pass with the level of dives you have. And that is 100% OK! The amount of information you will learn and the amount of technique that you will dramatically improve is staggering, even if you are “only” ’going for a rec pass‘ in single tanks.

I applaud you tremendously. Fundies was a class that I wanted to do as a relatively inexperienced diver, but I could not get over the fact that I knew I would not be able to achieve the highest level, so I simply did not take the class. For about 10 years. I’m too lazy to find it, but I wrote a review on SB of my Fundies class that goes into that in detail. Bravo for you, and don’t worry about what you may or may not ‘pass’. You *will* make huge strides in your diving. Even in a wetsuit and a single tank.

In my class, the two students I was with both had under 100 dives. Both of them could not hold a hover before the class. Both of them could after. Neither could propel themselves with anything but flutter. When they were done, they had multiple propulsion techniques. Assuming you go into it with humility and an open mind, I’m sure the same will happen for you.

*Need* experience? Theoretically, no. Practically, yes. *Very* few divers get a Tech pass out of the gate, even with hundreds of dives.

And you don’t really ‘go for the rating’. You take the class, and you achieve a certain level. You don’t have to declare in advance… :)

Now, if you’re asking whether you should do it in doubles or not, the answer is simple: unless you are very comfortable in doubles, do it in singles. The last thing you want to do is be in a configuration that you’re already unsure about when you will be challenged significantly by the class material alone.

A moment of real talk: assuming your profile is correct, there’s no way on God’s green earth you will be able to achieve a tech pass with the level of dives you have. And that is 100% OK! The amount of information you will learn and the amount of technique that you will dramatically improve is staggering, even if you are “only” ’going for a rec pass‘ in single tanks.

I applaud you tremendously. Fundies was a class that I wanted to do as a relatively inexperienced diver, but I could not get over the fact that I knew I would not be able to achieve the highest level, so I simply did not take the class. For about 10 years. I’m too lazy to find it, but I wrote a review on SB of my Fundies class that goes into that in detail. Bravo for you, and don’t worry about what you may or may not ‘pass’. You *will* make huge strides in your diving. Even in a wetsuit and a single tank.

In my class, the two students I was with both had under 100 dives. Both of them could not hold a hover before the class. Both of them could after. Neither could propel themselves with anything but flutter. When they were done, they had multiple propulsion techniques. Assuming you go into it with humility and an open mind, I’m sure the same will happen for you.
Thanks a lot for this now I can’t wait to do fundamental’s !

Keep in mind that the tec pass is useful only for GUE tec courses. Another requirement for GUE tec courses is a minimum experience of 100 dives (and, depending on the case, instructors may suggest you dive even more before enrolling on a technical course).

So, if you really have less than 49 dives, as your profile says - don't even think about the tec pass, simply because you don't need one :)

I don't find doubles harder than a single, but it's personal. On the other hand, I see way more complicated the management of a drysuit.

Now, you have two options:
- do some premier courses (drysuit and/or doubles) before the fundie, possibly with the instructor you chose
- enrol on the fundies without previous experience
Fundies with doubles and a drysuit can be complicated if you don't have previous experience. If you get a provisional, you will have only six months to upgrade to a rec-pass for free (after that, you will have to pay the inscription fee again, if I remember well). So, if you can't dive AND practice a lot after the course, I suggest you start with some specific training for the drysuit and/or the doubles. Otherwise, just go for the fundies; even if you get a provisional is perfectly fine (I did :) )

By the way, the solution to all these problems is simple:
- identify an instructor you like
- speak with him

I did something very similar what you plan to do and did Fundies when I was around 50 dives and without any experience of doubles: they were lent to me with a doubles wing on the day of the class.

To be honest, if I had known, I would have dove with a double wing and a twinset before the class to get more familiarity with the kit.

The class in itself is quite hard unless you can hover without moving backwards or forward and stay in neutral buoyancy at will.

The fact that it was a different wing and a different set mean that I had to spend a bit of time fixing my trim (we used a tail weight as I was feet light). Then, since it was a different wing I couldn’t find immediately the dump valve at will and that made staying stable at a certain depth harder.

I have not done the GUE doubles primer but if I had to redo it again, I’d have probably bought my own double wing and do a twinset short class like the primer to get more practice instead of getting familiar with kit that isn’t my own during the class.

But even if you just do the class without double experience, you will learn a lot , and I’d dare to say that it will be good value regardless of your choice of having twinset experience prior to the class.

A guy in my class had a few dives in doubles, but he was in general a clueless horrible diver. His lack of doubles proficiency was obvious. It got to the point that on day 2 the instructor pulled him on the side and told him he either needed to move to a single tank or be asked to leave the class.
You don’t want to be that guy. So at least have minor doubles proficiency and expect not to get a tech but to learn a ton that would allow you to go spend ,one time in doubles with your new skills in order to get an upgrade. If you think it’s not likely you would have time to get ok with doubles, do it for a Rec pass in singles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom