DIR- GUE Fundies Rec vs Tec rating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I get that.

So you take Fundamentals in the full tech gear. And you do great to the rec standards. But almost, but not quite, to the tech standards. What is the class outcome?

rec?
tech provisional? And if not converted in 6 months nothing?

In that case you would get a Rec Pass which will be valid forever (well, as long as you do 25 dives each three years for renewal.) And then you have all the time in the world to upgrade it to a Tech Pass (i.e. no six-month limit) if you want to proceed with GUE Tech 1 or Cave 1.

rec?

No. You have a Fail, Provisional or Pass for any of the GUE courses. When you pass Fundamentals, you have two PASS ratings. You either pass with a Recreational Rating or a Technical Rating.

Students can earn a Technical rating a future date (no time limit to my knowledge) if they use doubles, a primary light and demonstrate the skills taught in Fundamentals within a specific degree of trim (I think it's 10 degrees but someone please double check) and a total 3ft variance window.

I passed Fundamentals with a recreational rating. Took up doubles, improved my trimmed and my mid-water command after about 2-3 years. Contacted the local GUE instructor and requested an evaluation to earn my technical rating for Fundamentals. Took about 1.5 hours of running drills underwater. Demonstrated the necessary command. Paid my instructor for his time and paid GUE for the certification.

Guys, let's be clear: there is only one provisional rating, called "provisional", period. The "tec provisional" does not exist. And not even the "rec provisional".

Depending on skills' level (increasing from left to right), the outcome can be:
fail - provisional - rec pass - tec pass

the picture proposed by @PfcAJ perfectly reflects the reality (at least to my understanding of the standards and to my experience: indeed, I first got a provisional, then upgraded to a rec pass, then to a tec pass)

Paid my instructor for his time and paid GUE for the certification.
If I recall correctly, you don't have to pay GUE for the certification. The tec-pass rating is recorded in their database for free. But, if you want the card that says "tec-pass" (which is perfectly fine), you need to pay the fee.

I get that.

So you take Fundamentals in the full tech gear. And you do great to the rec standards. But almost, but not quite, to the tech standards. What is the class outcome?

rec?
My wife and I just did the class in full tech gear. She got a provisional and I received a rec-pass. It was her first time diving in a dry suit and first time in doubles. We took the class to learn fundamental skills in drysuit and doubles so we are happy with the outcome and now we know what to work on and are making sure we're not building bad habbits by trying to teach ourselfs what the course is suppose to teach us.

1642635674550.png

No. You have a Fail, Provisional or Pass for any of the GUE courses. When you pass Fundamentals, you have two PASS ratings. You either pass with a Recreational Rating or a Technical Rating.

Students can earn a Technical rating a future date (no time limit to my knowledge) if they use doubles, a primary light and demonstrate the skills taught in Fundamentals within a specific degree of trim (I think it's 10 degrees but someone please double check) and a total 3ft variance window.

I passed Fundamentals with a recreational rating. Took up doubles, improved my trimmed and my mid-water command after about 2-3 years. Contacted the local GUE instructor and requested an evaluation to earn my technical rating for Fundamentals. Took about 1.5 hours of running drills underwater. Demonstrated the necessary command. Paid my instructor for his time and paid GUE for the certification.
It's 20 degrees. I'm not sure why so many people speculate when the standards are clearly available on the gue website.

It's 20 degrees. I'm not sure why so many people speculate when the standards are clearly available on the gue website.

For reference it’s on page 31

Rec rating:
Demonstrate good buoyancy and trim, i.e., approximate reference is a maximum of 30 degrees off horizontal while remaining within 5 ft/1.5 m of a target depth.

Tec rating:
Demonstrate good buoyancy and trim, i.e., approximate reference is a maximum of 20
degrees off horizontal while remaining within 3 ft/1 m of a target depth.

My wife and I just did the class in full tech gear. She got a provisional and I received a rec-pass. It was her first time diving in a dry suit and first time in doubles. We took the class to learn fundamental skills in drysuit and doubles so we are happy with the outcome and now we know what to work on and are making sure we're not building bad habbits by trying to teach ourselfs what the course is suppose to teach us.

View attachment 701598
Hey, that's my instructor! Give him back!

oh---and as for Fundies---we(wife and I) took it, got a provisional. added doubles(no drysuit), took it again 3 months later, and both got the tech pass. added the drysuit, and working on taking T1 in a April (with Guy/Orie).

I have also assisted in 3-4 classes for Fundies...So far the common situation is a provisional, but that is sometimes because the person wants a tech pass, and the fees are cheaper if they can get to that level in less than 6 months. I believe we have a set of divers working on that update in the next week or two, and several that have already made the jump.

Hey, that's my instructor! Give him back!

oh---and as for Fundies---we(wife and I) took it, got a provisional. added doubles(no drysuit), took it again 3 months later, and both got the tech pass. added the drysuit, and working on taking T1 in a April (with Guy/Orie).

I have also assisted in 3-4 classes for Fundies...So far the common situation is a provisional, but that is sometimes because the person wants a tech pass, and the fees are cheaper if they can get to that level in less than 6 months. I believe we have a set of divers working on that update in the next week or two, and several that have already made the jump.
That’s awesome. I really enjoyed working with Orie he went above and beyond during our course to help us work through drysuit issues in trying to get my wife into a rental suit at EE and eventually us asking him to sell us a dry suit for her :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom