Fundies: Like the idea, but not the equipment requirements?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm all about training and learning new things. But what I'm not about is dogma.

Me too. If you can find an agency without dogma, I'm there.

(that it's impossible to create a training agency without dogma is a side issue, I suppose)

It's pretty relaxing being the guy without the mask. Everyone else does all the work :D

I love it. My new plan: whenever it's time to ascend, I'm just going to pretend to go unconscious. :eyebrow:

I love it. My new plan: whenever it's time to ascend, I'm just going to pretend to go unconscious. :eyebrow:

Signal, "you practice toxing diver rescue" and then start convulsing :D

But seriously, it's nice. Your buddy twists your hand a bit meaning "go up," waves it back and forth meaning "level off," etc.. All you do is sit there and vent gas when necessary.

Simulated deco is pretty amusing. Someone deploys your bottle and sticks the appropriate reg in your mouth for you. Good times.

If it's warm enough I generally leave my eyes open, but mostly I close them. It's like sensory deprivation. Very, very relaxing.

Sigh...I am far from completely DIR. If that were true, I would have an SPG rather than a tiny console amongst other gear choices. It doesn't interfere with my setup so I don't need to spend the money for that system. All the cave divers I know use some form of a computer. However, it is not the be all end all for their planning. Some rec divers do have their gear stowed, but most I have seen on my travels do not. I was not trained good buoyancy in OW. Heck after being mentored, I then realized that most of the divers in my shop didn't have good trim or control especially when they stopped...they would go vertical and have to continuously fin and flail their hands to try and keep themselves situated. I was told by my instructor that buoyancy would come to you the more you dive....yeah...sure...right. I left that shop not long after.

How many divers that use computers for rec are still able to use their tables? I use my table every time I dive then program my computer accordingly. My tables are attached to my gear bag. I have been the only one on dive boats using it and was asked why I do that if I have a computer. My plan is also noted on my slate. I have had my computer die on me 2 diff occasions during a dive. I dive Nitrox and sometimes a rich mix so I want to be sure that my computer is not giving me a bad calculation.

Again...this is not a DIR debate! It is just a way of showing divers that there are more skills one can learn and the classes are available to learn it!

DOGMA...sheesh give me a break! It's those kind of attitudes, especially the antagonistic ones that get rude responses from DIR divers. It's like Evangelical Christians bashing Catholics. We all believe in God, but we all do not practice religion the same way!

So..peace be with you and have fun safe dives!
Carolyn:shark2:

Last edited:
Yeah - it would be an awful thing to try to discuss something, in, you know, a discussion forum. How horrible.

But you're right - I certainly learned my lesson. I will not bother to try to learn anything from the boys in the DIR forum anymore. So much for being, "DIR Curious".

I recall a phrase.. "It's a bitch lerning to dive via the internet"

It's my honest belief that you can have a standardized system and an open mind at the same time. If the people who put the system together are always looking at new developments and evaluating them to see what they might offer the system, that's open-minded. But the system may be quite prescriptive in the meantime, with slow evolutionary changes.

There is no question that the DIR/UTD type systems are relatively prescriptive and highly standardized, because standardization is seen as a significant value of the system (and I believe it is). But it's kind of ironic that virtually everything I own or do was a matter of personal choice . . . I just chose to adopt what the system uses, because it works for me.

Not everybody wants to dive this way! But the point of the thread, as I have reiterated quite a few times now, was to tell people who are already INTERESTED in the system, that there is an option to do an entry-level class without making a bunch of expensive gear changes. After the class, they can evaluate whether this approach is one they want to take further.

Well Lynn, it's ScubBoard and the internet. If you said "It's a wonderful day outside" you'd have 3 pages of why it is, or isn't.. on and on and on it goes.

Guess you weren't listening.

What I want to know is why they can have UTD instructor courses in San Diego but not a single essentials class in the next six months.

I think that this will be a great class. I know that I did not receive a lot of the training that I wish I had in my OW or AOW classes. I am at the point where I would like to get more training under my belt but I am not ready for Fundies. This looks like a good stepping stone between the classes.

Thanks TS&M for pointing this out!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom