:) Fun question : How deep have you gone on single tank ? What's your record ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

137', AL80, standing on the deck of the USS Oriskany.

Attachments

• fins.jpg
    fins.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 177
By single tank , I meant not with Tech mixes like Trimix.
You still have Nitrox that would extend your available bottomn time. Afterall your max no-deco on 40m is a whopping 9 minutes on air..

I've been deeper than most have mentioned, on an AL80. I did have a slung pony for backup and had a support diver at around 50 feet. I needed both. On subsequent deeper dives, I requested the use of twin AL80's, which I dived as independent doubles. I was with a dive guide and my father, who is a very knowledgeable diver.
I'll leave it at that

Let's talk a little sanity for everyone out there who may have forgotten a few of the basics they learned (or should have learned) in open water class. 40 Meters or 130 feet is the accepted depth limit for recreational diving, and there is no harm going that deep if you observe NDL limits, dive with a buddy, and use equipment in good working order. There are many divers who have gone deeper than that on air, including me. That was, however, on a closely supervised training type dive to only 142 feet. We then ascended very slowly with several stops to be extra safe, while also monitoring air consumption at various depths for future reference. All of that said, I strongly discourage diving to see "how deep we can get." Observe recreational and no decompression limits. Dive to where the things you want to see or do are, whether 20 feet or 120 feet. Don't be foolish, or even stupid about it. Remember, 130 feet does not "feel" any different than 30 feet as far as pressure. Look at your gauges often. Be safe. Have fun.
DivemasterDennis

137', AL80, standing on the deck of the USS Oriskany.

Yeah, I was there too very briefly, right next to the island. This (and I think your photo too) was back when she was still a "gray" ship back in '06 or '07, before the later storms settled and listed her and put that very same deck (now a "green" ship) at what, about 145?

So on those later dives, and having already 'touched the deck', I satisfied myself with the captain's and admiral's bridge, at about 129. Didn't stay too long there either with my 80cf.

Yeah, I was there too very briefly, right next to the island. This (and I think your photo too) was back when she was still a "gray" ship back in '06 or '07, before the later storms settled and listed her and put that very same deck (now a "green" ship) at what, about 145?

So on those later dives, and having already 'touched the deck', I satisfied myself with the captain's and admiral's bridge, at about 129. Didn't stay too long there either with my 80cf.

Yeah, I took that pic about 3 months after they sank her. There wasn't a damn thing to see on the flight deck. I went up and wandered through the bridges too.

What the diving world needs is another superhero. Those rare individuals with self proclaimed super physiology. They can dive to 200 ft an an 80 filled with air, and have no effects, and surface with 1500psi. Their physiology is such that they don't produce carbon dioxide. This often translates into self proclaimed success at several endurance events, and of course with all this exceptional physiology comes an inherant belief that they are invincible, know everything and everyone else on the planet is inferior. They sprout forth as experts on all topics and their opinions are, of course, the only valid ones, and beyond any challenge from lesser mortals.
Seriously, I have been encouraged by the humility of the posters, so far, on this topic. I think this kind of discussion, while not intentioned to do so, will encourage some people to go deep just for the sake of it and not for a specific purpose.

133' Similans, Al80, was planned, curious I guess I just wanted to see what it was like, nothing special. I did become acutely aware that if something happened at this depth I was in trouble, that thought alone made me begin to feel uncomfortable/nervous I had to consciously tell myself to chill. I do not feel the need to go to 40M again certainly not just for curiosities sake anyway.

Back
Top Bottom